Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spiders - a lighthearted post (I hope!)

Spiders - a lighthearted post (I hope!)

Old Dec 12th 2007, 7:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

sarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spiders - a lighthearted post (I hope!)

Originally Posted by SoJohn
£50 a week for Gas and Electric?? What are you doing? Do you leave every light switched on and use your cooker to heat the kitchen!?
I was thinking that!! Perhaps Kitty's whole street is tapped into her meter
Old Dec 12th 2007, 7:45 pm
Forum Regular

HereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really nice

both together are def. between 40 & 50 per week at this time of year, a bit less in Summer (what Summer was that?). Maybe it's time I changed Companies cause I've had my bills and have not overpaid!!
Old Dec 12th 2007, 9:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

SoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud of

I'd say so. I can't imagine how it could be that high. Last year I was only paying £35 a month for my Gas and less for my electric. That was with central heating in each room too.
Old Dec 13th 2007, 12:08 pm
Still young member

Rixxy will become famous soon enoughRixxy will become famous soon enough

Wow thats huge! The bills, not the spider (we did have a monster in the top corner of the lounge last night - worrying when they disappear!!!!)

Anyway, I pay around 80 euros every 2 months for the electric which heats the water as well!
Old Dec 13th 2007, 12:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

jeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nice

Originally Posted by Rixxy
Wow thats huge! The bills, not the spider (we did have a monster in the top corner of the lounge last night - worrying when they disappear!!!!)

Anyway, I pay around 80 euros every 2 months for the electric which heats the water as well!
We pay £70.00 per month gas & £137.00 per month electric!!!!! in UK . Think half the UK are tapped into my meter!!! And as its an old house I get BIG spiders too!
Old Dec 13th 2007, 12:38 pm
Still young member

Rixxy will become famous soon enoughRixxy will become famous soon enough

But at least they are warm!!
Old Dec 13th 2007, 2:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

jeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nice

Originally Posted by Rixxy
But at least they are warm!!

Old Dec 15th 2007, 12:05 pm
Just Joined

Helder is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi to all, new member here, only found this forum yesterday and this be my frst post. We are planning on moving over to Spain/Portugal next year and this topic caught my eye.

I suffer from the same phoby, can not face a spider nevermind taratulas! Regardless of that we stil want to move abroad, but here is my worst fear. We have two miniature yorkies of by what I have read here are smaller then the spiders over there.

We will have to go out and work etc so some of the time they will be left alone at home. Do you guys think they would be at risk at all? Our two will try to eat anything and we fear that if we do have those spiders indoors they would try and "attack" them and then be bitten. I know this is a silly question, but could anybody reassure this over paranoid person?

Sorry for hijacking your thread Kitty, but I hope somebody will respond, thanks folks.

Helder
Old Dec 15th 2007, 12:56 pm
Banned

Location: What one has not experienced, one will never understand in print
lee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jeanc
We pay £70.00 per month gas & £137.00 per month electric!!!!! in UK . Think half the UK are tapped into my meter!!! And as its an old house I get BIG spiders too!
Bills in Spain are level with income as in any country, Spain only appears smaller when you exchange.

Electricity and Gas, petrol are high in Spain inline with the rest of the world.

You have to be aware that the average yearly income in the UK is far high than that of a Spaniard.

There arn`t many working middle class Spanish people as happy with the bills they have to pay as the English seem to be.

As for the Spiders I haven`t seen any yet, plenty of Cockroaches,Salamanda`s and these enourmous black things flying similar to the UK Bee but about 5 times larger and very black without yellow markings.

They don`t have stings but if they fly into you they hurt, also there are bears in the hills and lots of wild boars.
Old Dec 15th 2007, 2:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

SoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Helder
Hi to all, new member here, only found this forum yesterday and this be my frst post. We are planning on moving over to Spain/Portugal next year and this topic caught my eye.

I suffer from the same phoby, can not face a spider nevermind taratulas! Regardless of that we stil want to move abroad, but here is my worst fear. We have two miniature yorkies of by what I have read here are smaller then the spiders over there.

We will have to go out and work etc so some of the time they will be left alone at home. Do you guys think they would be at risk at all? Our two will try to eat anything and we fear that if we do have those spiders indoors they would try and "attack" them and then be bitten. I know this is a silly question, but could anybody reassure this over paranoid person?

Sorry for hijacking your thread Kitty, but I hope somebody will respond, thanks folks.

Helder
Not as such. I'm sure you have heard of the Black Widow. They are out and about in Valencia and Andalucía. I don't think they are an every day occurrence though.

To put it into perspective, your dogs are more likely to be carried off my a bird of prey. Also more chance of them being stolen too.
Old Dec 15th 2007, 4:52 pm
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

well check out this......

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_2639421.html

an invasion by giant spiders
Old Dec 15th 2007, 6:56 pm
Banned

Location: What one has not experienced, one will never understand in print
lee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Satandpcguy
well check out this......

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_2639421.html

an invasion by giant spiders
Has anybody told NASA those bleeding Spaniards nicked the shuttle.
Old Dec 17th 2007, 7:21 am
Just Joined

Helder is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SoJohn
Not as such. I'm sure you have heard of the Black Widow. They are out and about in Valencia and Andalucía. I don't think they are an every day occurrence though.

To put it into perspective, your dogs are more likely to be carried off my a bird of prey. Also more chance of them being stolen too.

Thanks for the reply, altho I'm now even more worried Anyway, if things like that is going to prevent us from moving away from here we will never leave the UK

Thanks again.
Old Dec 21st 2007, 10:37 pm
Forum Regular

sueandterry is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Re: Spiders - a lighthearted post (I hope!)

Hi there, I too was an arachnophobiac, the worst... and after living in an old house which at first was full of the horrid things, after 6 week of screeching the place down every time I saw one and running outside until somebody removed them I realised I had to get a grip. The following day I had a shower with three large spiders in webs hovering above me, and they didnt even move.... I can now remove them in a spider catcher... and also can pick up a dead one with my fingers... eureka. As for dogs and danger, yes, the spiders here are large, and also some of them are small, the same as in UK, but our dog (who also bites anything that moves ) is still alive. On occasions she comes in with a fat lip, probably from a spider or wasp sting, but they do recover... and rest assured, a great big dog's mouth can crush a bone, and it sure as hell can crush a squishy spider before it gets bitten!! Enjoy.... come out here, and just keep spraying in corners with good insect spray and the spiders will diminish. and I bet you that in a couple of years you will just look at them and think "Oh another spider !!" Good luck. Sue and Terry
Old Dec 22nd 2007, 10:04 am
Forum Regular

HereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really nice

Many thanks for all your replies on the subject of the dreaded spider! I did do a search on the forum after I posted the topic and was able to read other similar posts.
Thinking about it now, I don't think I will have too many problems having 2 cats in the house! KITTYX