Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Speaking Spanish

Speaking Spanish

Old Aug 7th 2009, 2:51 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Speaking Spanish

Originally Posted by cricketman
yes local knowledge helps tons, otherwise it is impossible I just looked up the exact words

the English was actually
"From ABC's xxx programme. Performing your favourite Top-40 Tracks"

The trick was that they didnt actually play instruments (tocar), but sang with a backing track, so I put
"Del programa xxx de ABC. Actuará sus canciones favoritas de la lista de éxitos"

But my OH said I was wrong as "actuar" is for plays/drama and since they dont "tocar" either, we cant use the word for perform here and can only put "cantar". Just shows how tricky it is.
see - that's why you should only translate into your own language

and why do they have to change the titles of films??

I can understand with something like Bucket List, which would mean nothing to a spaniard since they don't 'kick the bucket'

but to change the title of the Sound of Music

Last edited by lynnxa; Aug 7th 2009 at 2:56 pm.
Old Aug 7th 2009, 3:03 pm
Luz
Forum Regular

Luz has much to be proud ofLuz has much to be proud ofLuz has much to be proud ofLuz has much to be proud ofLuz has much to be proud ofLuz has much to be proud ofLuz has much to be proud ofLuz has much to be proud ofLuz has much to be proud ofLuz has much to be proud ofLuz has much to be proud of

I think a lot depends on the age you start to learn Spanish.
If you start before 30 (I'm talking about adults here. We all know that young children pick it up very quickly) then there is a good chance that you will become almost bilingual,(difficult to be perfect in another language) if you put the effort in. Between 30 - 45/50 you can get to a very good level with lots of studying and practise. After the age of 50 it becomes difficult to get to a high level although you can get by and will be able to speak good, basic Spanish.
I think that lots of people make the mistake when they first come out thinking that they will speak Spanish in 6 months and they become so frustrated when it doesn't happen that they give up.
Learning a language is constant. New words will always come up. It happens in your mother tongue so it will happen more frequently in a second language, no matter how fluent you are.
I think that they key to success is effort, effort and even more effort. Speak Spanish every day, read the newspaper in Spanish, watch TV in Spanish etc etc I accept that this is difficult when you first start but you can do it in stages. Start off with 10 mins a day when you have to practise Spanish. Increase this by 5 mins each week and don't invent excuses as to why you can't do it. In the words of the advert "just do it".
Here is a link to online tests: http://www.spanishabroad.com/leveltest.htm
The "Instituto Cervantes" is an excellent source for learning Spanish. They run courses all over the world and have a good online service.
Plan to do an exam in Spanish the "DELE" exams are good to start with. These are Spanish exams for learners of Spanish. There are various levels. Start off with a basic one and work your way up. It is a great way to measure your improvement. Here is a link to the first exam: http://diplomas.cervantes.es/noticia...d=200810210001
You can sit these exams in schools and universities all over the world.
Here is the link to the places you can study in Spain: http://www.unispain.com/DELE-esp.htm
Good luck to all who are trying and congratulations to all who are nearly there.
Old Aug 7th 2009, 3:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute

yes local knowledge helps tons, otherwise it is impossible I just looked up the exact words

the English was actually
"From ABC's xxx programme. Performing your favourite Top-40 Tracks"

The trick was that they didnt actually play instruments (tocar), but sang with a backing track, so I put
"Del programa xxx de ABC. Actuará sus canciones favoritas de la lista de éxitos"

But my OH said I was wrong as "actuar" is for plays/drama and since they dont "tocar" either, we cant use the word for perform here and can only put "cantar". Just shows how tricky it is.
Even back to the most basic of verbs "estar" and "ser".

Guy has been learning spanish in class for one year and is doing really well.

Ser and estar baffle him sometimes.

Ive been battling with spanish now for years and even after all this time I sometimes have to think about which one to use.
Old Aug 7th 2009, 3:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Luz
I think a lot depends on the age you start to learn Spanish.
If you start before 30 (I'm talking about adults here. We all know that young children pick it up very quickly) then there is a good chance that you will become almost bilingual,(difficult to be perfect in another language) if you put the effort in. Between 30 - 45/50 you can get to a very good level with lots of studying and practise. After the age of 50 it becomes difficult to get to a high level although you can get by and will be able to speak good, basic Spanish.
I think that lots of people make the mistake when they first come out thinking that they will speak Spanish in 6 months and they become so frustrated when it doesn't happen that they give up.
Learning a language is constant. New words will always come up. It happens in your mother tongue so it will happen more frequently in a second language, no matter how fluent you are.
I think that they key to success is effort, effort and even more effort. Speak Spanish every day, read the newspaper in Spanish, watch TV in Spanish etc etc I accept that this is difficult when you first start but you can do it in stages. Start off with 10 mins a day when you have to practise Spanish. Increase this by 5 mins each week and don't invent excuses as to why you can't do it. In the words of the advert "just do it".
Here is a link to online tests: http://www.spanishabroad.com/leveltest.htm
The "Instituto Cervantes" is an excellent source for learning Spanish. They run courses all over the world and have a good online service.
Plan to do an exam in Spanish the "DELE" exams are good to start with. These are Spanish exams for learners of Spanish. There are various levels. Start off with a basic one and work your way up. It is a great way to measure your improvement. Here is a link to the first exam: http://diplomas.cervantes.es/noticia...d=200810210001
You can sit these exams in schools and universities all over the world.
Here is the link to the places you can study in Spain: http://www.unispain.com/DELE-esp.htm
Good luck to all who are trying and congratulations to all who are nearly there.
Thank you for that
Old Aug 7th 2009, 3:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paintermujer
Even back to the most basic of verbs "estar" and "ser".

Guy has been learning spanish in class for one year and is doing really well.

Ser and estar baffle him sometimes.

Ive been battling with spanish now for years and even after all this time I sometimes have to think about which one to use.
Yes it is unfortunate in Spanish that one of the most difficult things is essential for a basic knowedge. For me the 3 tricky things about Spanish are:
1. ser and estar, I still get this wrong from time to time too!
2. getting the choice of 56 difference conjugations right when you are getting to an advanced stage (mid boggling when we only have about 5 conjugations in English, but actually it is very logical)
3. using the subjunctive correctly when writing business emails, formal reports etc (my next step!)

Very good advice from Luz
Old Aug 7th 2009, 3:27 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Yes it is unfortunate in Spanish that one of the most difficult things is essential for a basic knowedge. For me the 3 tricky things about Spanish are:
1. ser and estar, I still get this wrong from time to time too!
2. getting the choice of 56 difference conjugations right when you are getting to an advanced stage (mid boggling when we only have about 5 conjugations in English, but actually it is very logical)
3. using the subjunctive correctly when writing business emails, formal reports etc (my next step!)

Very good advice from Luz
I reckon the best way with ser & estar is to stop thinking about it!

since book upon book has been written on the subject I think that eventually it's just best to trust to instinct!
Old Aug 7th 2009, 3:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
I reckon the best way with ser & estar is to stop thinking about it!

since book upon book has been written on the subject I think that eventually it's just best to trust to instinct!
Yes I agree with that, there are some guidelines, but they dont always hold true. As you use the words more and hear them used more, you'll get to know what sounds right or wrong
Old Aug 7th 2009, 3:33 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

Yes I agree with that, there are some guidelines, but they dont always hold true. As you use the words more and hear them used more, you'll get to know what sounds right or wrong
exactly - instinct!
Old Aug 7th 2009, 3:39 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
exactly - instinct!
I forget all my Spanish when I get a cold sell call on the phone, trouble is they get their English mate to call back. ;-))
Old Aug 7th 2009, 3:43 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by jdr
I forget all my Spanish when I get a cold sell call on the phone, trouble is they get their English mate to call back. ;-))
I do too

my students think it's hilarious when I say I can't speak spanish in my bestest english!
Old Aug 7th 2009, 3:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yes I do follow the "rules" when trying to decide but even then as you say it dosent always follow true.

casar or casarse - well the estar kind of makes it a temporary thing dosent it.

Cant wait to get back into it again.

I know Ive got a good start.

Cant wait
Old Aug 7th 2009, 3:48 pm
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

My favourite line when the internet sellers cold call, is:

H with a strong HHablow un pue de Espanish.

That throws them, they then put the phone down.

JLFS
Old Aug 7th 2009, 3:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Veleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to behold

It is on a CD Rom for a language school my OH works for. I have a paper version I can share with you if you're interested. Not sure how I'd get it to you, through PM or email?
Yes, I am interested. If it's not too much trouble for you I'd like to have a go. When you say "paper" version I'm guessing you mean electronic version that can be printed??

I'll PM you my email address.

Thx

PS - Those of you who do translations, I take it you are familiar with Wordreference.com? It's an absolutely superb forum and really helps if/when you get stuck on certain phrases.

Last edited by Veleta; Aug 7th 2009 at 3:59 pm. Reason: Added a bit
Old Aug 7th 2009, 4:28 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

I think one of the keys to learning a language is watching films and television, and listening to music in that language (outside of normal class and study). Whether it be Juanes, or Chambao, or Joaquin Sabina, listening to lyrics can really help in listening skills, as well as adding to vocabulary. My suspicion is this is why foreigners often seem to pick up English more quickly than we do their languages - they have an interest in say the music (or Hollywood films) and so become more exposed to the language. Of course the Spanish shoot themselves in the foot to a certain extent by dubbing all those films.
Old Aug 7th 2009, 4:38 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
I think one of the keys to learning a language is watching films and television, and listening to music in that language (outside of normal class and study). Whether it be Juanes, or Chambao, or Joaquin Sabina, listening to lyrics can really help in listening skills, as well as adding to vocabulary. My suspicion is this is why foreigners often seem to pick up English more quickly than we do their languages - they have an interest in say the music (or Hollywood films) and so become more exposed to the language. Of course the Spanish shoot themselves in the foot to a certain extent by dubbing all those films.
you have a good point - I find my ear improves when I listen to spanish more - so I leave the tele on

in our last rental there was english tele - so we watched it - couldn't always pick up spanish for some reason

there is spanish tele in the new place - we're still debating whether or not to get english installed somehow

2 months ago i watched Pasapalabra and he was asking the questions so fast I had no chance!

he has to ask them really fast cos the last round is timed - he can ask a really long-winded question in just 4-5 seconds! even some of the contestants mis-hear sometimes

last night I understood him & even answered some of the questions (correctly!)

have you yet met a spaniard who can't sing in english?

Last edited by lynnxa; Aug 7th 2009 at 4:40 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.