Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Speaking Spanish

Speaking Spanish

Old Aug 7th 2009, 8:33 am
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Speaking Spanish

We all know and talk about the importance of speaking spanish but there are many degrees of ability.

Id like anyones comments on how they manage with the level that theyre at.

My spanish is A level standard but I still know that when we get there I will have problems especially on the official level - nie etc as the words are so hard and rarely used.(filled ours out here already-phew)

I also find that I speak better than I understand sometimes.

Cant wait though. Each day will be a challange just communicating and we dont want to waste money getting a gestor to do everything for us. Wed never learn the lingo.
Old Aug 7th 2009, 8:58 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Speaking Spanish

Originally Posted by paintermujer
We all know and talk about the importance of speaking spanish but there are many degrees of ability.

My spanish is A level standard but I still know that when we get there I will have problems especially on the official level - nie etc as the words are so hard and rarely used.(filled ours out here already-phew)

Cant wait though. Each day will be a challange just communicating and we dont want to waste money getting a gestor to do everything for us. Wed never learn the lingo.
You will no doubt now be told that it is absolutely essential to speak Spanish here. Well, I guess that may be true if you need to find work. As an early retiree, if I chose to, I could quite happily live here without being able to speak a word of Spanish.

As it happens, I am taking lessons with Lynnxa on here, and although I am not one that is able to learn languages easily, it has made a great difference in life. I suprise myself when I am able to converse with people at a simple level, and I can understand a lot of the written word, but my problem is understanding what people say to me as they always speak so quickly. Telling them to slow down just doesnt work.

So all I would say is that unless you are working you dont have to be able to speak Spanish to get by, but I suspect you will find yourself missing out on such a lot if you dont
Old Aug 7th 2009, 9:04 am
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
You will no doubt now be told that it is absolutely essential to speak Spanish here. Well, I guess that may be true if you need to find work. As an early retiree, if I chose to, I could quite happily live here without being able to speak a word of Spanish.

As it happens, I am taking lessons with Lynnxa on here, and although I am not one that is able to learn languages easily, it has made a great difference in life. I suprise myself when I am able to converse with people at a simple level, and I can understand a lot of the written word, but my problem is understanding what people say to me as they always speak so quickly. Telling them to slow down just doesnt work.

So all I would say is that unless you are working you dont have to be able to speak Spanish to get by, but I suspect you will find yourself missing out on such a lot if you dont
Good on you and yes they do speak so fast.

By the time you try and process what theyve just said theyve already moved on a few sentences.
Old Aug 7th 2009, 9:20 am
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute

a lot will depend on where you live ie undertstanding at times the different dialects

in our experience we had to speak Spanish on a daily basis, not only for work but eg at the school, dentist, docs, hospital, town hall, shops etc etc etc unless you live in an area where English is widely spoken its essential. A lot of people will tell you they "manage" but its what you want out of your life in Spain, personally I would prefer to understand and make myself understood...have listened to many conversations in the past where the expat thinks they understand what is being said but really do not have a clue gives you a laugh though

So you already have an excellent basis, a lot more than most who make the move to Spain

Old Aug 7th 2009, 9:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by spain
a lot will depend on where you live ie undertstanding at times the different dialects

in our experience we had to speak Spanish on a daily basis, not only for work but eg at the school, dentist, docs, hospital, town hall, shops etc etc etc unless you live in an area where English is widely spoken its essential. A lot of people will tell you they "manage" but its what you want out of your life in Spain, personally I would prefer to understand and make myself understood...have listened to many conversations in the past where the expat thinks they understand what is being said but really do not have a clue gives you a laugh though

So you already have an excellent basis, a lot more than most who make the move to Spain
Yes the dialects can be really difficult.

Especially in the costa de la luz area where something as simple as "pan" turns into "ba".

Completely throws me.
Old Aug 7th 2009, 9:39 am
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute

its funny how you can pick things up though....through helping my son with his homework when we first went over, I find I can pretty much understand written Valenciano

Im the opposite to you, I can understand more than I can speak at times

Yes the dialects can be really difficult.

Especially in the costa de la luz area where something as simple as "pan" turns into "ba".

Completely throws me.
Old Aug 7th 2009, 10:41 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy

Thanks Mitz

you're right, speaking spanish isn't essential in many areas if you're not planning to work - though it does make life easier & you get a lot more out of it

even just passing the time of day with the shop staff or waiting staff rather than just saying 'dos' & pointing, or 'una cerveza por favor' can make such a difference to the daily quality of your life
Old Aug 7th 2009, 10:42 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

I believe that the telephone test sorts out the men from the boys - when you pick up the phone and hear a fast Spanish speaker who utters a short and sharp No when you ask, "Habla Ingles?"

"Quien Es?" is then followed by another machine gun utterance and you have no choice but to continue in Spanish, at whatever level you're at. By the time you realise that they're trying to sell you air conditioning, or life insurance, you're ready to take it out on that innocent piece of plastic in your hand, and you slam it down with all your might.

Next, you have to phone 1004, and get Telefonica to check out your brand new Domo phone, which is crackling badly.
Old Aug 7th 2009, 10:46 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
I believe that the telephone test sorts out the men from the boys - when you pick up the phone and hear a fast Spanish speaker who utters a short and sharp No when you ask, "Habla Ingles?"

"Quien Es?" is then followed by another machine gun utterance and you have no choice but to continue in Spanish, at whatever level you're at. By the time you realise that they're trying to sell you air conditioning, or life insurance, you're ready to take it out on that innocent piece of plastic in your hand, and you slam it down with all your might.

Next, you have to phone 1004, and get Telefonica to check out your brand new Domo phone, which is crackling badly.
you're right - we forget how 'visual' hearing can be!!

I knew I was finally getting somewhere when I could communicate with the telefonica ADSL lot - & win the argument!

didn't have a clue what they were talking about - but that would have been the same even if they'd been speaking english!
Old Aug 7th 2009, 11:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by lynnxa
you're right - we forget how 'visual' hearing can be!!

I knew I was finally getting somewhere when I could communicate with the telefonica ADSL lot - & win the argument!

didn't have a clue what they were talking about - but that would have been the same even if they'd been speaking english!
Ummmm!! The telephone.

Now thats a different kettle of fish.

Done it loads before - some good some not so good.

But as long as I can get through a telephone order for chinese delivery Ill be happy.
Old Aug 7th 2009, 11:25 am
¿Dónde estoy?

Ummmm!! The telephone.

Now thats a different kettle of fish.

Done it loads before - some good some not so good.

But as long as I can get through a telephone order for chinese delivery Ill be happy.
our chinese doesn't deliver

mind you it's only a couple of minutes stagger away so it hardly matters!
Old Aug 7th 2009, 11:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by HBG

Old Aug 7th 2009, 11:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by lynnxa
our chinese doesn't deliver

mind you it's only a couple of minutes stagger away so it hardly matters!
If our local one dosent deliver then Ill get it at lunchtime and warm it up - not good for prawns though.
Old Aug 7th 2009, 11:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Veleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to behold

I agree with others in that it depends where you live. I know of some Brits who have lived in Spain for decades without being able to string a basic sentence together using the correct grammar and they get along just fine- but these people all live on the Costas in very British areas.

I can't remember if you have told us where you plan to be living??

My life would be drastically different if I hadn't learnt Spanish and it is very probable that I would not be here now if I hadn't. My partner (who I met here in Spain) is Spanish and the language at home is always Spanish (he no speako Inglish). So I could probably strike him out of my life if I couldn't speak Spanish. And then there is my business....I´m sure I wouldn't have that either as I would have no way of communicating with my clients.

So I think it depends on what you are looking to get out of your experience.
Old Aug 7th 2009, 12:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Veleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to behold

Oh, I forgot to say...like you I also did an A'Level in Spanish. Admittedly I did it 12 years before I actually made the move, but when I arrived here in Spain I considered myself to be a total beginner as my level was that low.

I don't know if the A'Levels have changed since I did them, but I was never even taught about the subjunctive, or umpteen of the other grammar points that make stringing a sentence together that much easier if you know how.

One thing about learning a language is that the more you learn, the more you realise you don't know.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.