Spantel Adsl

Old Jan 13th 2007, 4:57 pm
Just Joined

youngy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Spantel Adsl

Dear All,

New here to your site, based in southern spain near Gibraltar.

I have had a SPANTEL installation taken place, phone line (through) telefonica and ADSL as well all setup and billed through spantel.

I ordered 1MB ADSL and the small USB/Ethernet modem turned up on Thursday night, I installed it, followed all the relevant instructions and its working....but MY GOD is it slow, It is so slow that it is not as quick as my built in dial up modem that is in my Laptop, ive had it in for 24 hours and I am ready to throw the whole lot off my balcony.

Does anyone else experience this problem and does anyone have a remedy?

I have tried calling spantel on 902 02 02 02 but guess what this is a premium rate number and I cant get through on it, so I have dialed 1004 and I just get a recorded Telefonica message. I have sent email to spantel via there site, but no response.

If anyone has any Settings (DNS, Log ins etc etc) PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE can you help me as I am at the end of my tether already.

Best Regards
Simon Young
Old Jan 13th 2007, 6:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Beachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Spantel Adsl

'Scamtel' is a company to be avoided at all cost.
Old Jan 14th 2007, 10:03 am
Just Joined

Exclamation Re: Spantel Adsl

Is this a view agreed by everyone else.

Can anyone else help me please.

Best Regards
Simon Young
Old Jan 14th 2007, 11:23 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by youngy
Is this a view agreed by everyone else.

Can anyone else help me please.

Best Regards
Simon Young
This link gives the address and a fax number.
This link tells you about phone numbers, alledgedly they use 902 to cover nationally so they dont have to have a different number for each office, but as they are only in Fuengirola why use 902 ?
Where abouts are you ?
Old Jan 14th 2007, 11:40 am
---------

Nomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond repute

Dear All,

New here to your site, based in southern spain near Gibraltar.

I have had a SPANTEL installation taken place, phone line (through) telefonica and ADSL as well all setup and billed through spantel.

I ordered 1MB ADSL and the small USB/Ethernet modem turned up on Thursday night, I installed it, followed all the relevant instructions and its working....but MY GOD is it slow, It is so slow that it is not as quick as my built in dial up modem that is in my Laptop, ive had it in for 24 hours and I am ready to throw the whole lot off my balcony.

Does anyone else experience this problem and does anyone have a remedy?

I have tried calling spantel on 902 02 02 02 but guess what this is a premium rate number and I cant get through on it, so I have dialed 1004 and I just get a recorded Telefonica message. I have sent email to spantel via there site, but no response.

If anyone has any Settings (DNS, Log ins etc etc) PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE can you help me as I am at the end of my tether already.

Best Regards
Simon Young
There can be many more issues involved here. Was your pc in top shape prior to installing the ethernet link? Are you using usb or nic connection?
Did you access the net with a fully updated AV program; spyware program and firewall? Are your O/S default web settings correct? There can also be problems caused by onboard network controller drivers etc. Check your device manager to see if there are any problems!
Before you contact your ISP you ought to eliminate these things.

Regards

Nomad
Old Jan 14th 2007, 11:57 am
Just Joined

Angry Re: Spantel Adsl

Originally Posted by Nomad_H
There can be many more issues involved here. Was your pc in top shape prior to installing the ethernet link? Are you using usb or nic connection?
Did you access the net with a fully updated AV program; spyware program and firewall? Are your O/S default web settings correct? There can also be problems caused by onboard network controller drivers etc. Check your device manager to see if there are any problems!
Before you contact your ISP you ought to eliminate these things.

Regards

Nomad
Thanks for your replies as detailed above, firstly I am based just passed Sotogrande in Alcaidesa, other people in my urb, have ADSL with no problems I can walk 10m down the car park and hijack someone WiFi and have super speeds.

In response to Nomad, I work from a 3 month old HP NX6100 Laptop with XP Pro SP2 1GB Ram DVD/RW, Centrino Processor all the trimmings, and its pretty much in tip top condition i use it daily for work also when in Gibraltar and have no such problems when in my office.

I use Nortons Corporate Edition which is bang up to date as I administor our small office network in Gib also so it runs daily scans.

Regardless if I use USB or NIC its just as very very slow, for example I had to wait approx 2 mins for this page to load before I could write a response.

There are no problems to report under device manager.

One thing that is apparent however is that on the instructions i recieved in the package I was advised to use DNS servers 80.56.61.250 and 254, these however do not work, nor do they respond to ping requests or tracert requests, I have ammended these to be 80.58.61.250/254 as these seem to work al be it cringingly slowly.

Hope this helps and someone can shed further light.

Thanks in Advance
Simon Young
Old Jan 14th 2007, 2:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Beachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to behold

According to the ADSL configuation on Telefonica online I should be using the second set of DNS servers that you give, however, mine was set up manually and uses the DNS servers 195.235.193.3 and 195.235.96.90. The subnet mask is also different.

I recently bought a Skype LAN Dualphone and when I tried to set it up according to Telefonica's settings it would not work but when I entered the same figures as show on the TCP/IP settings on my computer it worked perfectly.

No doubt there is some reason for all this but I have no idea what it is.
Old Jan 14th 2007, 7:24 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Beachcomber
According to the ADSL configuation on Telefonica online I should be using the second set of DNS servers that you give, however, mine was set up manually and uses the DNS servers 195.235.193.3 and 195.235.96.90. The subnet mask is also different.

I recently bought a Skype LAN Dualphone and when I tried to set it up according to Telefonica's settings it would not work but when I entered the same figures as show on the TCP/IP settings on my computer it worked perfectly.

No doubt there is some reason for all this but I have no idea what it is.
Hmmm interesting I cant even ping those DNS Server addresses youve given me.

I really am lost with this, anyway I have sent a very disgruntled email to spantel and requested that someone calls me at 10am tomorrow morning to either, resolve the issue or to cancel the contract and I will opt for going direct with Telefonica, id be happy to wait another 10days or so to be connected with them as it would be much quicker in the long run

Thanks everyone.
Old Jan 14th 2007, 9:22 pm
Just Joined

Hmmm interesting I cant even ping those DNS Server addresses youve given me.

I really am lost with this, anyway I have sent a very disgruntled email to spantel and requested that someone calls me at 10am tomorrow morning to either, resolve the issue or to cancel the contract and I will opt for going direct with Telefonica, id be happy to wait another 10days or so to be connected with them as it would be much quicker in the long run

Thanks everyone.
Ive carried out a speed test on thinkbroadband.com website.
If there are any really techie techie gurus out there willing to help.
You can see the results here.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedt...335168424.html

Speed Test Results
Date 14/01/07 22:08:37
Speed Down 58.01 Kbps ( 0.1 Mbps )
Speed Up 251.47 Kbps ( 0.2 Mbps )

As you can see, download speeds on a par with dial up upload slightly better. This is a 1MB ADSL Package i have installed.
Old Jan 15th 2007, 6:35 pm
Just Joined

Ive carried out a speed test on thinkbroadband.com website.
If there are any really techie techie gurus out there willing to help.
You can see the results here.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedt...335168424.html

Speed Test Results
Date 14/01/07 22:08:37
Speed Down 58.01 Kbps ( 0.1 Mbps )
Speed Up 251.47 Kbps ( 0.2 Mbps )

As you can see, download speeds on a par with dial up upload slightly better. This is a 1MB ADSL Package i have installed.
Well, as suspected, no call at 10am, no response to my email, left work early, got home from work at 5.10, spent 30 euros on my mobile listening to hold music and never got through once. Cant get through on 1077 902 02 02 02. I cant even get through to Telefonica direct when i dial 1004.

Does anyone know where I can order Telefonica ADSL online, or can anyone recommend another alternative ISP.

Best Regards
Simon YOung
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 7:36 pm
Forum Regular

neilwturner is just really niceneilwturner is just really niceneilwturner is just really niceneilwturner is just really niceneilwturner is just really niceneilwturner is just really niceneilwturner is just really niceneilwturner is just really nice

I have the Spantel 1mb ADSL service with the SpeedTouch 530 ADSL Modem.

I have been given a Belkin ADSL2 + Modem Router. I have connected it, used the setup wizard etc etc .... but cannot access the Internet via the direct or Wifi links although all the relevant loights are green

Do I need to contact Spantel to change any of my account settings or can any body help with other ideas without having to contact Spantel.

Thanks
Old Dec 13th 2007, 2:55 pm
Just Joined

Lindainspain is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Spantel contract mobile - they have taken our number

Hi sorry if this is the wrong thread, but maybe someone can help us?

We have had a Spantel contract mobile (Orange network) for over 2 years. A couple of weeks ago the number collapsed and we could not use it. We contacted Spantel and they told us that the number does not exist anymore and would we like another phone with a new number. This was no good to us as many of our clients have this number and we took out a contract phone believing that it was a more permanent number than a pay as you go number.

We phoned Spantel today to try and speak to someone senior. The person who took our call would not put us through to anyone, would not give any names out (I took her name), kept us on hold for 30 minutes and again told us that this number was no longer available.

Also, we have been to an Orange shop and she was very helpful and contacted Orange - they said that the number could have gone anywhere and in a year or 2's time it will probably be re-sold. humpph, so why can't we get it back?

We have tried to phone the number and we get a message in Spanish that says: "this is orange, please leave a message after the tone." So the number seems to be active, but where has it gone and why can't we have it back??

It seems our only recourse now is to make an official complaint but this will take time - we need the number now!

What can we do? Does anyone know how to track the 'owners' of our number. How can we get through the front desk at Spantel and speak to someone senior?
Old Dec 13th 2007, 3:02 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Seems spantel aren't getting a very good name for themselves
Old Dec 13th 2007, 6:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Econ has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond repute

Are you connecting through USB or Ethernet? I have found USB to be much slower than Ethernet personally although not as slow as you mention, if using USB then change to Ethernet to see if that helps any. I set a Spantel ADSL up for a guy about a year ago in Fuengirola using Ethernet and the connection seemed reasonable for 1MB.

I know it's too late but I personally have found if you want a good ADSL connection on a landline you need to bite your tongue and get a Telefonica ADSL connection, others may say different but this is my experiance of ADSL in Spain over the last 4 or so years, I personally have tried 4 and know others who are kicking themselves for changing away from Telefonica to try and save money. Check if you have any time for a 'get out clause' before you are tied to a year.
Old Dec 14th 2007, 9:32 am
Just Joined

Lindainspain is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Spantel are pants

We have had a Spantel contract mobile (Orange network) for over 2 years. A couple of weeks ago the number collapsed and we could not use it. We contacted Spantel and they told us that the number does not exist anymore and would we like another phone with a new number. This was no good to us as many of our clients have this number and we took out a contract phone believing that it was a more permanent number than a pay as you go number.
We phoned Spantel today to try and speak to someone senior. The person who took our call would not put us through to anyone, would not give any names out (I took her name), kept us on hold for 30 minutes and again told us that this number was no longer available.
Also, we have been to an Orange shop and she was very helpful and contacted Orange - they said that the number could have gone anywhere and in a year or 2's time it will probably be re-sold. humpph, so why can't we get it back?
We have tried to phone the number and we get a message in Spanish that says: "this is orange, please leave a message after the tone." So the number seems to be active, but where has it gone and why can't we have it back??
It seems our only recourse now is to make an official complaint but this will take time - we need the number now!
What can we do? Does anyone know how to track the 'owners' of our number. How can we get through the front desk at Spantel and speak to someone senior?

Linda
Disgusted and bemused

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.