Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Is a Spanish will really needed

Is a Spanish will really needed

Old Apr 19th 2011, 5:21 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is a Spanish will really needed

Originally Posted by jay01
This topic seems to be falling off topic and into realms I would rather it did not go. Many thanks for the replys but as there is no property or huge financial assts held in Spain it seems to be just a case if how much peace of mind you want. The question regarding his cousins being able to sort out his affairs as they would be closest kin is still a grey area.
One thing the cousins will have to do to be able to deal with anything in Spain is to get themselves a NIE. Better to do this if they come over to stay rather than wait until it is absolutely necessary as this then becomes one more burden.

Rosemary
Old Apr 19th 2011, 7:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by JulianWard
Those who do not want to receive private messages /mail can turn off the facility. If one leaves it on then I assume, like me, one does not mind.

I am not going to turn off any of the facilities.

I told you not to PM or send me e-mails.

To any normal person that would have been sufficient.
Old Apr 19th 2011, 9:00 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know how to reply to this properly, the last time I tried to highlight an obvious fraud, my thread was closed; I was referring to posters changing names.

I've had a silly PM from this poster as well, under a different name. What do you do?

I'm not a grass, senility is something that may come to all of us, it's excusable until it gets personal, and PMs are personal.

It really isn't difficult to establish this poster's previous identity on this forum, and I suspect other forums will have suffered similar idiocies.
Old Apr 19th 2011, 9:10 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

This has been dealt with.
Old Apr 19th 2011, 9:28 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Well, now that it has, I would like to reply to the OP.

I've made both a Spanish and English will, which are identical, obviously.

I won't know the outcome because I'll be dead, but there's nothing more I can do. I've kept it quiet because I don't see any reason to upset her. She may be surprised at the size of my donation to Battersea Dogs Home but do I care?
Old Apr 20th 2011, 8:25 am
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JulianWard
Those who do not want to receive private messages /mail can turn off the facility. If one leaves it on then I assume, like me, one does not mind.
Sorry for adding to the off topic chat but I think it's time this was said.
I must admit that I'd never read the site rules. I felt it might be the time. I didn't have to go far. Rule 1 covers this. I'm sure that rule 1 applies to private messages as well. I don't think you should put anything in private messages that you wouldn't be happy with the moderators seeing. I'm sure they can check them as well. There's a fine line between a bit of a rebuke (which I personally would put on the forum ...as I think I'm doing now) and insulting, even bullying behaviour.
Wills
Opinions are clearly divided as they are on most subjects on the importance of having a Spanish will and some good advice has been given here. The original poster should be able to work out who's on here to help
I must admit I haven't done mine yet and personally I'm still following these threads with interest. (except when they go bad)
Old Apr 20th 2011, 9:16 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

I would suggest to anyone to type into a search engine something like " British national dying in Spain" and absorb the info given. What I would strongly advise is to find the nearest funeral directors copy down name, address tel. number etc. As with GB the company will guide the persons left through the procedure. We saw this happen many times during my stay in hospital.
If you are still following this thread jay01 please do this.

Graham
Old Apr 20th 2011, 4:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

jay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to behold

Oh I am still following the thread and picking up many opinions which is the beauty of asking questions. As you read them you hopefully find useful bits of information which I am glad to say I have as I did not know that a will can be done at a notary or that his cousin would require an NIE at the least to deal with his affairs, so a thumbs up for the advice .

It is all very well talking about getting a will but getting him to actually do one is a lot different hence I am asking just in case anything should ever happen. A will always seems a statement of your own mortality
Old Apr 20th 2011, 5:33 pm
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute

We made a will here in Spain as our assests are here, cost was reasonable & the Notary made sure our wishes were laid down in the document.
We were also told at the time, as we were UK nationals these wishes would be honoured here in Spain even though they may conflict local traditions.
Old Apr 20th 2011, 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by jay01
Oh I am still following the thread and picking up many opinions which is the beauty of asking questions. As you read them you hopefully find useful bits of information which I am glad to say I have as I did not know that a will can be done at a notary or that his cousin would require an NIE at the least to deal with his affairs, so a thumbs up for the advice .

It is all very well talking about getting a will but getting him to actually do one is a lot different hence I am asking just in case anything should ever happen. A will always seems a statement of your own mortality
Think of it more as a statement of your wishes and the person being thoughtful towards the family members who will have enough to deal with in the event of a death without worrying about what the relative might have wanted to happen.

We kept on saying that we should get ours done and then had an enormous panic on our hands when we were given 4 days to get our affairs in order prior to OH´s first operation. Wishing we had not left it so long is an understatement.

Being reassured that we did not have to follow the Spanish rules regarding who things were left to was very helpful too. No price can be put on peace of mind and once it is done and stored away you can sit back and forget it.

Rosemary