Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

another electricity query

another electricity query

Old Mar 14th 2011, 9:28 pm
Forum Regular

suedenia has a brilliant futuresuedenia has a brilliant futuresuedenia has a brilliant futuresuedenia has a brilliant futuresuedenia has a brilliant futuresuedenia has a brilliant future
Default another electricity query

hi
we pay our electricity by direct debit through our spanish bank every month. it is normally roughly the same each month, but today our direct debit has gone out and it is alot more than normal (and we haven t used anymore electricity in the last month than we normally do).
i just wondered, as we normally pay about the same each month, if they review it after a year and if there is any arrears if they take it in one go at this time of year?
just wondered if this has happened to anyone else - or if anyone knows the electricity providers procedures on payments?
Old Mar 14th 2011, 9:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: another electricity query

It could very well be that they have been estimating your bill for some months... but for the last one have read the metre.

That has happened to us in the past more than once!
Old Mar 14th 2011, 10:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: another electricity query

Originally Posted by suedenia
hi
we pay our electricity by direct debit through our spanish bank every month. it is normally roughly the same each month, but today our direct debit has gone out and it is alot more than normal (and we haven t used anymore electricity in the last month than we normally do).
i just wondered, as we normally pay about the same each month, if they review it after a year and if there is any arrears if they take it in one go at this time of year?
just wondered if this has happened to anyone else - or if anyone knows the electricity providers procedures on payments?
A year ago the same happened to us. We very carefully read all our old bills and realised that they had only been taking standing charges and for the first time in a year they had read the meter and they were asking for the whole of the previous years electricity at the new years price. We read the meter and went to the local office where a great chap sorted it all for us. He alo insisted that the total bill was reallocated over the past 12 mths so that only a small proportion was at the new rate. We recieved a refund of 600€. He also told us to come in every month with a meter reading to keep them in line and it has just taken another 12 mths to get them in line. Hey ho it takes time and effort to get Endesa in line.
Old Mar 15th 2011, 7:01 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by John & Kath
A year ago the same happened to us. We very carefully read all our old bills and realised that they had only been taking standing charges and for the first time in a year they had read the meter and they were asking for the whole of the previous years electricity at the new years price. We read the meter and went to the local office where a great chap sorted it all for us. He alo insisted that the total bill was reallocated over the past 12 mths so that only a small proportion was at the new rate. We recieved a refund of 600€. He also told us to come in every month with a meter reading to keep them in line and it has just taken another 12 mths to get them in line. Hey ho it takes time and effort to get Endesa in line.
The great problem for many people is that Iberdrola have closed most (all?) of their offices - you can only contact them by 'phone now. It is really infuriating trying to argue the point over the 'phone with someone who really doesn't give a damn!
Old Mar 15th 2011, 5:25 pm
Just Joined

richard fallon is an unknown quantity at this point

Endessa must be the most inefficient and poorly run supplier I have ever come across.
last week they disconnected our supply in Fuerteventura, the following day we received three bills for the previous three billing periods, and whats more , we found that they had not requested payment for any of them from our bank.
if you want a proper bill from them, then you have to go all the way into town to ask for one.
but then, we have found this in happens also with the water suppliers, and we are having hell on earth fighting with the authorities who are insisting that all those who have bought properties in our area are now obliged to pay a huge sum of money owed by the builders who went bust.
Old Mar 16th 2011, 6:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Bri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond repute

We have just returned to the UK after a visit and found the same. Our mailbx had a couple of electric bills in it that nobody could explain to us because they were both the same period but diiferent amounts.

Tha bank had paid one and refused a second one.

Now we are in danger of being disconnected. It seems the second one was for underpayment when readings had been estimated. Its for 60€ so we are hoping to mail it to friends and hope it still can be paid. That was sent in january we collected it last week.
Old Mar 16th 2011, 7:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: another electricity query

Originally Posted by Bri and Katee
We have just returned to the UK after a visit and found the same. Our mailbx had a couple of electric bills in it that nobody could explain to us because they were both the same period but diiferent amounts.

Tha bank had paid one and refused a second one.

Now we are in danger of being disconnected. It seems the second one was for underpayment when readings had been estimated. Its for 60€ so we are hoping to mail it to friends and hope it still can be paid. That was sent in january we collected it last week.
Why not pay online or ring your bank an tell them to pay it if they have had the demand an rejected it.
Old Mar 16th 2011, 5:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond repute

Communication, our spanish is not good enough to do it down the phone line, the bank does not offer its services in anything other than a spanish website and neither does the electricity company chc energia ( we are not all fortunate to have Iberdrola )
Old Mar 16th 2011, 6:39 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bri and Katee
Communication, our spanish is not good enough to do it down the phone line, the bank does not offer its services in anything other than a spanish website and neither does the electricity company chc energia ( we are not all fortunate to have Iberdrola )
Download the Google toolbar, then you can translate web pages to English, not brilliant but understandable.
Old Mar 17th 2011, 3:53 pm
Forum Regular

suedenia has a brilliant futuresuedenia has a brilliant futuresuedenia has a brilliant futuresuedenia has a brilliant futuresuedenia has a brilliant futuresuedenia has a brilliant future

many thanks for all your help.
have phoned up about the electricity today and was expecting to be in a queue for ages to speak to an english speaking person - but was pleasantly surprised how quickly they dealt with my query. apparently the electricity meter hadn t been read for a long time - maybe the meter man couldn t be bothered to walk up the mountain!!!
Old Mar 17th 2011, 5:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by suedenia
many thanks for all your help.
have phoned up about the electricity today and was expecting to be in a queue for ages to speak to an english speaking person - but was pleasantly surprised how quickly they dealt with my query. apparently the electricity meter hadn t been read for a long time - maybe the meter man couldn t be bothered to walk up the mountain!!!
I had a similar issue year before last worked out that they had estimated the reading and I paid about 70 euros then for just over a year my direct debit was just for standing charge. As I have online facility with endesa did try taking my own reading to update online, problem was it was under there estimated reading so would not accept it. It seems I just pay the standing charges till reading over takes that estimate.
Old Mar 18th 2011, 11:52 am
Banned

JulianWard has a spectacular aura aboutJulianWard has a spectacular aura aboutJulianWard has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by bobd22
I had a similar issue year before last worked out that they had estimated the reading and I paid about 70 euros then for just over a year my direct debit was just for standing charge. As I have online facility with endesa did try taking my own reading to update online, problem was it was under there estimated reading so would not accept it. It seems I just pay the standing charges till reading over takes that estimate.
I get my bill on line from Endesa. If the reading or estimate is wrong, there is a facility on line to submit a corrected one. Of course one needs to have access to the meter. Sometimes, for some inexplicable reason, communities will not permit this.

Endesa also have English speakers on their help line.
Old Mar 18th 2011, 2:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JulianWard
I get my bill on line from Endesa. If the reading or estimate is wrong, there is a facility on line to submit a corrected one. Of course one needs to have access to the meter. Sometimes, for some inexplicable reason, communities will not permit this.

Endesa also have English speakers on their help line.
Julian I did take a reading when I was over and tried updating online but it would not accept the actual reading as it was lower than the estimate reading. The actual reading stayed the same for about 18 months at 3660 and I paid around 12 euros every bill. This December they took an actual reading at at 3753 since then it has gone back to standing charge. As I am over next week I will try taking another reading and try updating again when I come back. To be honest although it seems a strange way it works out in the end.
Old Mar 18th 2011, 2:38 pm
Banned

JulianWard has a spectacular aura aboutJulianWard has a spectacular aura aboutJulianWard has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by bobd22
Julian I did take a reading when I was over and tried updating online but it would not accept the actual reading as it was lower than the estimate reading. The actual reading stayed the same for about 18 months at 3660 and I paid around 12 euros every bill. This December they took an actual reading at at 3753 since then it has gone back to standing charge. As I am over next week I will try taking another reading and try updating again when I come back. To be honest although it seems a strange way it works out in the end.
I assume your Spanish is not up to questioning the position on the phone (forgive me if I am wrong). Maybe there is, as with Endesa, a help facility in English, or when you are here maybe you could get a fluent Spanish speaker to speak to them.

It would seem though that you may have got a good deal, as you would have paid, in advance, for your electricity and thus as a lower rate.
Old Mar 18th 2011, 4:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by JulianWard
I assume your Spanish is not up to questioning the position on the phone (forgive me if I am wrong). Maybe there is, as with Endesa, a help facility in English, or when you are here maybe you could get a fluent Spanish speaker to speak to them.

It would seem though that you may have got a good deal, as you would have paid, in advance, for your electricity and thus as a lower rate.
Good point re paying in advance not thought of that, you are right re my spanish. To be honest as I say not a problem as works itself out in the end and seems to be now back on track.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.