Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

another electricity query

another electricity query

Old Apr 18th 2011, 2:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

twistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: another electricity query

[QUOTE=johnnyone;9311598]
Originally Posted by snikpoh
Without wishing to be rude, are you sure that it's the ICP that is tripping and not one of the other 'fuses'?QUOTE]

That's not rude.

It's the main ICP that is tripping and looking back at what was probably on I am not too surprised.

Water heater
Oven
Hob
Tumble dryer
Washine machine
Elec heating

I think the system manages those, its the kettle or iron that is the final straw.
You should have a seperate feed for most of those items, ( depending on ratings of course).
You cannot supply all these off one circuit.
Old Apr 18th 2011, 5:25 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by twistedmelon
You cannot supply all these off one circuit.
Yes that's true but he says the fuses are not tripping - just the ICP - in which case any amount of separate fuses will not stop the ICP tripping.
Old Apr 18th 2011, 5:27 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnnyone
I think the system manages those, its the kettle or iron that is the final straw.
Most likely the kettle. 3kw added to the rest will give real problems. Most Spanish kettles are much lower rated than UK versions.
Old Apr 18th 2011, 7:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

jonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnnyone
I have decided to increase my potencia. It was set up by my lawyer when I purchased a reform in 2008 at 5.75kw.

i) Will I need a new electrical certificate bearing in mind it was reformed including electrics in 2008?

ii) I live in the UK and only get over every 6 weeks or so. If I make an appointment with Iberdrola how reliable are they at keeping it?

Thanks
I have had similar problems during the winter months and most noticeably when using a fan heater or electric radiator both of which had thermostatic controls. Ibidrola wrote and said we needed to have an ICP fitted and checked by them and a upgrade in potencia at the same time. We got an Electrician to fit a new ICP = 65 Euros and he told Ibidrola, who a week later visited and sealed the unit, for which 10 Euros to be billed later. I understand that the potencia will be increased to 10 KW as a result. i think the upgrade you wish for will not be so expensive after all except for an increase in your standing charge for each billing period.
Old Apr 19th 2011, 2:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

twistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
Yes that's true but he says the fuses are not tripping - just the ICP - in which case any amount of separate fuses will not stop the ICP tripping.
You are right on that, however, with Spanish wiring and some "electricians" that may not be the case.
Inadequate size or poor quality wire and wiring may cause the ICP to trip, there is only so much electricity you can get down an inadequate instillation.
Old Apr 19th 2011, 3:23 pm

You are right on that, however, with Spanish wiring and some "electricians" that may not be the case.
Inadequate size or poor quality wire and wiring may cause the ICP to trip, there is only so much electricity you can get down an inadequate instillation.
I'm sorry, I just don't buy that.

We aren't talking about trying to get 25kw down bellwire - if his 5.75kw ICP is tripping it's down to using too much stuff at the same time.

There are some horrible installations around but these are mostly old - this was done 3 years ago and the electrical regs are much more severe than they were.

There are only two choices - manage your power usage or upgrade the ICP.
Old Apr 19th 2011, 9:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

We aren't talking about trying to get 25kw down bellwire - if his 5.75kw ICP is tripping it's down to using too much stuff at the same time.

There are some horrible installations around but these are mostly old - this was done 3 years ago and the electrical regs are much more severe than they were.

That's exactly right.

I just do not understand how people get away with a low ICP. I shall upgrade if it is straightforward. My problem is that I am not in Spain that often.

I am glad I asked the question though, very useful.
Old Apr 20th 2011, 11:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Well that is my opinion based on my knowledge and experience.
I will always advise people not to take "regulations" and " qualified electricians" for granted here in Spain as that can be a dangerous assumption. and that applies to pretty much everything here.
I am not going to advise anyone that upgrading your ICP is OK without inspecting their installation, I think that is sensible advice given the potencial dangers.
Old Apr 20th 2011, 1:14 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Well that is my opinion based on my knowledge and experience.
I will always advise people not to take "regulations" and " qualified electricians" for granted here in Spain as that can be a dangerous assumption. and that applies to pretty much everything here.
I am not going to advise anyone that upgrading your ICP is OK without inspecting their installation, I think that is sensible advice given the potencial dangers.
So, out of interest, what would you do to be absolutely sure all was OK?

Saying that you don't believe the regulations (or should not take regulations for granted) is very odd.

I agree there are cowboys but how would YOU check they were OK?
Old Apr 20th 2011, 6:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by snikpoh

Saying that you don't believe the regulations (or should not take regulations for granted) is very odd.
I don't believe this statement on this site.
Most of the posts here are by bewildered people trying to make sense of the Spanish system in most aspects of life.
Just because this house was rewired 3 years ago doesn't mean it's guaranteed OK.
I don't know if the electrician was qualified or good at his job. I don't know if the work was signed off by the supplier. I don't know if it was a new build or done back hand in a general reform.
I have only tried to give the OP a broad spectrum of possibilities other than just saying "change your ICP".
I'll leave it up to the OP as to what advice and action they take.
I'll stick by the advice I've given, doesn't seem that outrageous if others don't like it, that's fine.