Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spanish or UK Tax

Spanish or UK Tax

Old Mar 13th 2019, 11:17 pm
Forum Regular

Smithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spanish or UK Tax

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
I would have thought that if you need to prove you've been exercising freedom of movement correctly in order to get a residence permit, it would be better to stick to the rules to cover your back. I know that for carte de séjour applications in France, if you are claiming "worker" status under FoM they look at where your income comes from and what social contributions you have paid, and if you're not paying into French social security and don't have an S1, they would reject your application straight away.
As an EU citizen (currently until the UK leaves) the foreigners office wants to see a balance in your Spanish bank account and regular monthly money paid in to this account by you, for a successful residency application. For example some areas are looking to see a balance of €12500 and €1000 euros paid in by you every month for 3 months. If you are not employed by a Spanish company - you need to be self sufficient and they only want to see that you have a balance in a Spanish account and have health insurance.

A residency visa application for a non-lucrative visa as a non EU citizen states that you cannot work here and must have an income of €26000 from outside of Spain!

Last edited by Smithy73; Mar 13th 2019 at 11:20 pm.
Old Mar 13th 2019, 11:26 pm
Forum Regular

Smithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
Well I can't comment on that. I know that in France, a person working for one company and being paid a fixed salary would be on very dodgy ground trying to claim they were self employed. I think it's been mentioned earlier in the thread that even the UK isn't happy with this (IR35?). But I don't know the rules for Autonomo and have no idea if Spain fusses about things like this in any case from what I have heard it tends not to so you may be OK doing that.
(When I applied for my CDS in France I had to show quarterly turnover for my self employment going back 5 years, as well as annual tax returns. If it had said exactly the same turnover figure every quarter I would have expected them to ask questions because no self employed person ever turns over exactly the same amount month in month out.)
There are rules about autonomos working for other Spanish companies for any length of time, but this is where that ends.
You don´t even need to have a viable business to become or stay autonomo, just pay the social security payment each month!
If you want to bill the same UK company for the same account each month, so long as you pay the tax, no one would care!
Old Mar 13th 2019, 11:41 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Hellmet
Right, I've been talking to a couple of gestores/asesores to get an idea of what is possible and what is not.

The general consensus is that I have 2 options;
1. Register as autónomo, pay social security monthly and IRPF tri-monthly as discussed on the forums.
2. Live in Spain without changing anything, and carry on paying into the UK system. APPARENTLY this is not illegal. I would have to declare all my properties etc to the state (Spain). APPARENTLY healthcare is free to anyone in Spain now due to the new government, but I would obviously not be entitled to any kind of pension as I wouldn't be paying into it.
I saw this from one of the links given above and this is our experience - I would suggest you speak to several Gestors that deal in tax for their opinions
Ignore the bit about healthcare, as although the central government did legislate for this, nothing has been implemented.