Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spanish TV via Sky box

Spanish TV via Sky box

Old Oct 12th 2008, 7:01 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spanish TV via Sky box

It`s ok really as the OP post was.....

"Is it possible to get normal Spanish TV (mainly to help the kids learn the language) plus be aware of local news) via my Sky box / sat dish.
We do not have a normal TV ariel, just the dish and Sky box."

So the diversion onto how kids learn Spanish is only helping with the question.

Last edited by jdr; Oct 12th 2008 at 7:03 pm.
Old Oct 12th 2008, 7:07 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
It`s ok really as the OP post was.....

"Is it possible to get normal Spanish TV (mainly to help the kids learn the language) plus be aware of local news) via my Sky box / sat dish.
We do not have a normal TV ariel, just the dish and Sky box."

So the diversion onto how kids learn Spanish is only helping with the question.

I didn't even look at the first post

put it down to my habit of just hitting 'previous thread'
Old Oct 12th 2008, 10:46 pm
Banned

Huevos is a jewel in the roughHuevos is a jewel in the roughHuevos is a jewel in the roughHuevos is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by lynnxa
my kids did 'just pick it up'! [...]they joined the spanish state school system -and have had NO EXTRA LESSONS AT ALL!!
I've met lots of English kids whose parents say this, but when you listen to the child speak in most cases it turns out they don't speak well even after several years. Lessons cost money and many parents would rather spend it on a new car than their kids. But then afterwards , of course, they have to pretend, even to themselves, that they have done "the very best" for their kids.
my elder dd (now 12) has just moved into secondary school, and is in the top group for all subjects
It's not really hard to do better than others in a state system where there is such a high failure rate (over 40% of students in the Community of Valencia are now finishing school without even basic studies). By the way if she is doing so well just thing how much better she could be doing if she had been lucky enough to receive some Spanish lessons (for foreigners) and been enrolled in a school with an elementary standard of education.
spanish tele & DVDs really do help
If you do a search of the web for something like "learn language watching television" you will find links to many studies going into the negative effects of television on learning languages. Television is a visual medium and often the narration has little or nothing to do with the images being shown.
comparing Mike's ability ( or lack of ) to speak spanish by 'picking it up' just shows your lack of understanding of the way adults learn a language (or anything else)
After five years of going to class every weekday for two hours I have a very good idea of how an adult learns language.
from the age of around 10 the way the brain works changes, it no longer 'absorbs' - it becomes necessary to study - which is why it is often a problem for older foreign children to join the state system
Language learning through acquisition starts to drop off rapidly from about 5 years old and is almost completely closed by adolescence. Cognitive learning is the only way to fill that void.

One thing I have noticed through the various debates on these forums is that many people are very passionate about defending their decisions to expend as little money or effort as possible on their kids educations. To me, just sticking them in front of a television set hoping it may improve their language skills is one such example.
Old Oct 12th 2008, 10:58 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Huevos
I've met lots of English kids whose parents say this, but when you listen to the child speak in most cases it turns out they don't speak well even after several years. Lessons cost money and many parents would rather spend it on a new car than their kids. But then afterwards , of course, they have to pretend, even to themselves, that they have done "the very best" for their kids.
my kids went to a private 'International' school the first year we were here - at the end of that year we realised just what a waste of time & money it was - they learned NOTHING!!

It's not really hard to do better than others in a state system where there is such a high failure rate (over 40% of students in the Community of Valencia are now finishing school without even basic studies). By the way if she is doing so well just thing how much better she could be doing if she had been lucky enough to receive some Spanish lessons (for foreigners) and been enrolled in a school with an elementary standard of education.
I don't see how she can speak better spanish than to be 'as fluent as any 12 year old spanish child' - which is what her teachers tell us

If you do a search of the web for something like "learn language watching television" you will find links to many studies going into the negative effects of television on learning languages. Television is a visual medium and often the narration has little or nothing to do with the images being shown.After five years of going to class every weekday for two hours I have a very good idea of how an adult learns language.
at no point did I say that you could learn the language by simply watching television

I said that it helps to have exposure via this medium outside school

Language learning through acquisition starts to drop off rapidly from about 5 years old and is almost completely closed by adolescence. Cognitive learning is the only way to fill that void.
if you know this why attack Mike for not 'picking it up'?

One thing I have noticed through the various debates on these forums is that many people are very passionate about defending their decisions to expend as little money or effort as possible on their kids educations. To me, just sticking them in front of a television set hoping it may improve their language skills is one such example.
you don't run a private school do you?
Old Oct 13th 2008, 12:50 am
Banned

Huevos is a jewel in the roughHuevos is a jewel in the roughHuevos is a jewel in the roughHuevos is a jewel in the rough

my kids went to a private 'International' school the first year we were here - at the end of that year we realised just what a waste of time & money it was - they learned NOTHING!!
Looks like you didn't make a very good choice then. Or are you just defending your position to withdraw them and put them through the failing state system?
I don't see how she can speak better spanish than to be 'as fluent as any 12 year old spanish child' - which is what her teachers tell us
Maybe this just shows the low level of the natives in the school she attends.
at no point did I say that you could learn the language by simply watching television
Nor did I. I said studies find it has a negative effect, i.e. worse than no effect.
if you know this why attack Mike for not 'picking it up'?
I'm not attacking anyone, just voicing my opinion, but I have pointed it out in other threads in the past.
you don't run a private school do you?
No, but even if it were the case it's not a valid argument. Comparison in failure rate of basic studies speaks for itself.

Last edited by Huevos; Oct 13th 2008 at 12:53 am.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 12:51 am
¿Dónde estoy?

Looks like you didn't make a very good choice then. Or are you just defending your position to withdraw them and put them through the failing state system.Maybe this just shows the low level of the natives in the school she attends.Nor did I. I said studies find it has a negative effect, i.e. worse than no effect.I'm not attacking anyone, just voicing my opinion, but I have pointed it out in other threads in the past.No, but even if it were the case it's not a valid argument. Comparison in failure rate of basic studies speaks for itself.
I don't have to defend myself to you

so I shan't bother
Old Oct 13th 2008, 1:02 am
Banned

I don't have to defend myself to you [...] so I shan't bother
Of course not, especially if it would expose flaws in your arguments.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 1:15 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Of course not, especially if it would expose flaws in your arguments.

Your personal comments on the posters educational choice really has nothing to do with the arguement so lets get back to the subject eh?
Old Oct 13th 2008, 1:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Solarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Your personal comments on the posters educational choice really has nothing to do with the arguement so lets get back to the subject eh?
Spoilsport
Old Oct 13th 2008, 1:30 am

Same Difference is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't have to defend myself to you

so I shan't bother
Damn right you dont Lynn!
Old Oct 13th 2008, 1:46 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Your personal comments
What personal comments? I was merely pointing out that parking kids in front of a television set or enrolling them in a system with more than 40% failure might not be the best ways to further their education.

Last edited by Huevos; Oct 13th 2008 at 2:03 am.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 4:26 am
BE Forum Addict

valenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond repute

What personal comments? I was merely pointing out that parking kids in front of a television set or enrolling them in a system with more than 40% failure might not be the best ways to further their education.
So what is then? Is an international school better? The Spanish send their kids to an international school to improve their English, how would that help an English child living here?
I believe the state schooling here to be better than in the UK, in fact, that was part of the reason for moving here.
Where do your children go? Spanish state or international?
Old Oct 13th 2008, 4:38 am
Happy in my bubble

Sam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond repute

I know i dont live in Spain or have children of school age anymore but if i was and had my kids would be in Spanish school - the reasoning is they are then learning the language straight off - they are mixing with peers who probably live in the same area as them - they wont have far to travel to the school as im presuming private schools have to be travelled to - nuff said - oh and if you are wanting to intergrate into the Spanish way of life what better way is there for your children.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 4:41 am
BE Forum Addict

valenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sam Greenfield
I know i dont live in Spain or have children of school age anymore but if i was and had my kids would be in Spanish school - the reasoning is they are then learning the language straight off - they are mixing with peers who probably live in the same area as them - they wont have far to travel to the school as im presuming private schools have to be travelled to - nuff said - oh and if you are wanting to intergrate into the Spanish way of life what better way is there for your children.
Plenty of common sense in that statement.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 4:42 am
Happy in my bubble

Sam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by valenciatim
Plenty of common sense in that statement.
Ta hun

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.