Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spanish TV via Sky box

Spanish TV via Sky box

Old Oct 11th 2008, 9:37 am
Just Joined

tejon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Spanish TV via Sky box

Is it possible to get normal Spanish TV (mainly to help the kids learn the language) plus be aware of local news) via my Sky box / sat dish.

We do not have a normal TV ariel, just the dish and Sky box.
Old Oct 11th 2008, 9:48 am
Forum Regular

SaratonyT is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Spanish TV via Sky box

I am in the UK and can get TVE on channel 795 of Sky. It is mainly current affairs, news, weather and cookery programmes - but it helps with learning Spanish - even my children watch it! I am doing a Spanish course at college and it really helps to listen and try and translate what is being said.

Hope this is helpful.
Sarah
Old Oct 11th 2008, 12:47 pm
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

spanish TV is only available:
via an tv aerial
via a tv aerial and a TDT receiver
via satellite (D+ subscription required - and even then some channels on TDT are not on satellite)

there are some free spanish tv channels on other satellites, but the only on available via a SKy receiver is TVE Internations as posted above
Old Oct 11th 2008, 3:10 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Satandpcguy
the only on available via a SKy receiver is TVE Internations as posted above

And that is only available on subscription if it includes the "Style and Culture" mix.
Old Oct 11th 2008, 4:35 pm
Banned

jurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Fred James
And that is only available on subscription if it includes the "Style and Culture" mix.
you can get tdt web site is www.tdt.ed and put post code in and tell whats on you loacl system

buy box frm most supermarkets for 40 euro (around that ) may haqve to up date your antenas
jurdy
Old Oct 11th 2008, 5:18 pm
Banned

Huevos is a jewel in the roughHuevos is a jewel in the roughHuevos is a jewel in the roughHuevos is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by tejon
mainly to help the kids learn the language
It's not possible to learn a language by watching foreign channels on the television (see below). If you want your children to learn send them to lessons.

In a recent American case of the boy born to deaf parents, the child had perfect hearing, but despite watching television for several hours every day, by the time he reached school age, he could not use spoken language at all, although he was perfectly proficient in using sign language with his parents.
Old Oct 12th 2008, 3:14 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Huevos
It's not possible to learn a language by watching foreign channels on the television (see below). If you want your children to learn send them to lessons.

In a recent American case of the boy born to deaf parents, the child had perfect hearing, but despite watching television for several hours every day, by the time he reached school age, he could not use spoken language at all, although he was perfectly proficient in using sign language with his parents.
Totally different situations ,in one the child already can read and knows what words etc are, in the other, a child needs to be taught the letters, and how to put them together to read and undestand what is being said. Unless you know what an apple is or looks like, then hearing someone talking about it means totally nothing.
Old Oct 12th 2008, 6:17 pm
Banned

jurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Fred James
tve and canal24 are free on 13 east hotbird
if you got send sky dish you turn to 19.2 east Astra you get 15 channels free from tvei tele madrid tvi ebt and so on
jurdy
Old Oct 12th 2008, 6:31 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

One for Satman maybe,.....as I am not very P.C. orientated...yet.
Is it possible to fit an external antennae to the p.c.,to pick-up or improve signals in a free wi-fi zone?
If so would it make very much difference?
Old Oct 12th 2008, 6:42 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Is it possible to fit an external antennae to the p.c.,to pick-up or improve signals in a free wi-fi zone?
yes would improve your single but run you batt down very fast
Old Oct 12th 2008, 8:15 pm
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
like some form of very big aerial..??? you can get wifi usb aerial extenders, and if you find a 10m usb cable you can put it on your roof....

as jurdy say you can get some form of booster, but they rely on power from the laptop and eataway the battery which is not good if you are a laptop user..
Old Oct 12th 2008, 8:27 pm
Banned

Huevos is a jewel in the roughHuevos is a jewel in the roughHuevos is a jewel in the roughHuevos is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Totally different situations ,in one the child already can read and knows what words etc
Mike, I really think you haven't got a lot of idea what is a good thing when it comes to learning a foreign language. I've seen in previous threads where you recommend people to enrol their non-Spanish-speaking kids in a state school and that they will "just pick it up". Pretty barbaric really in my opinion. By the way how's your Spanish? After all you've been in the country a good few years now. Did you just manage to "just pick it up" too?
Old Oct 12th 2008, 9:34 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jurdyr
if you got send sky dish you turn to 19.2 east Astra
Sorry but I cannot understand what you are saying.
Old Oct 12th 2008, 11:34 pm
Banned

betris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jurdyr
tve and canal24 are free on 13 east hotbird
if you got send sky dish you turn to 19.2 east Astra you get 15 channels free from tvei tele madrid tvi ebt and so on
jurdy
Just down load free. Zattoo tv/ Zattoo es/Zattoo.com and you will get 28 channels.spanish and other countrys.news and general in different languges some in engish.free

Last edited by betris; Oct 13th 2008 at 12:03 am.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 6:24 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Huevos
Mike, I really think you haven't got a lot of idea what is a good thing when it comes to learning a foreign language. I've seen in previous threads where you recommend people to enrol their non-Spanish-speaking kids in a state school and that they will "just pick it up". Pretty barbaric really in my opinion. By the way how's your Spanish? After all you've been in the country a good few years now. Did you just manage to "just pick it up" too?
my kids did 'just pick it up'! - and not just Castellano, but Valenciano too!

they were 5 & 9 when they joined the spanish state school system -and have had NO EXTRA LESSONS AT ALL!!

my elder dd (now 12) has just moved into secondary school, and is in the top group for all subjects, including Lengua (castellano) and LLegua (valenciano)

admittedly not all children pick it up as easily as others - and it does help if they are exposed to spanish outside the classroom - if you don't speak the language at home, then spanish tele & DVDs really do help

comparing Mike's ability ( or lack of ) to speak spanish by 'picking it up' just shows your lack of understanding of the way adults learn a language (or anything else)

from the age of around 10 the way the brain works changes, it no longer 'absorbs' - it becomes necessary to study - which is why it is often a problem for older foreign children to join the state system

I studied very hard to learn spanish - and still am - let's face it there are probably thousands of english words I don't know, so how could I possibly know all there is to know about spanish in 5 years? - but I have also 'picked up' a lot from spanish friends, the tele, the cinema & DVDs

I don't think I would have picked much up without studying first though

edit - sorry mods - I didn't realise this was so far off topic (didn't even look at the title)- I had to reply though - maybe you could put these as a new thread

Last edited by lynnxa; Oct 13th 2008 at 6:27 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.