Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spanish Terraces

Spanish Terraces

Old Apr 16th 2006, 2:18 pm
Forum Regular

billybassett has a spectacular aura aboutbillybassett has a spectacular aura aboutbillybassett has a spectacular aura about
Default Spanish Terraces

Hi all,

just read the "spanish gardens" thread for information about which plants to use in spain, how to water them etc. However, the information seemed only to be pertinent for gardens and permanent residents.

We will have 2nd/3rd floor terraces and will not be resident. We do intend though, to employ a managing agent who will visit every 2 weeks. My questions are;

1. Will a bottletop watering spike do a decent job of keeping the pot plants watered? Click on the link to see the type I mean. http://www.gardeninnovations.co.uk/index.html . These devices claim to keep a plant watered for up to 3 weeks if used with an old 2 litre drinks bottle. I can arrange for the bottles to be filled every 2 weeks by the agent.

2. Which plants will tolerate this type of watering best?

I'm hoping for a decent selection of plants to brighten up the terraces. Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Karen
Old Apr 17th 2006, 6:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Carol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spanish Terraces

Hi Karen,
I couldn't open the link you mentioned above, but have you looked at this site: http://www.mediterraneangardensociet...nches_ESM.html
One of the members has a terrace garden from the photos.
Also, if you scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on the link to gardening in a mediterranean climate. A google search for "gardening in Spain" brings up lots of book titles, too.
The one reservation I would have with this litre bottle drip water feeder is the wind blowing the bottle off when it's near empty, but by then the property management company would see to it.
My guess re: plants would be potted succulents or draught loving plants. Bougainvillea is lovely, but when the flowers (bracts?) die back, they dry/shrivel up and scatter about your terrace. More sweeping...
Regards,
Carol
Old Apr 17th 2006, 7:12 pm
Forum Regular

billybassett has a spectacular aura aboutbillybassett has a spectacular aura aboutbillybassett has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Carol&John
Hi Karen,
I couldn't open the link you mentioned above, but have you looked at this site: http://www.mediterraneangardensociet...nches_ESM.html
One of the members has a terrace garden from the photos.
Also, if you scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on the link to gardening in a mediterranean climate. A google search for "gardening in Spain" brings up lots of book titles, too.
The one reservation I would have with this litre bottle drip water feeder is the wind blowing the bottle off when it's near empty, but by then the property management company would see to it.
My guess re: plants would be potted succulents or draught loving plants. Bougainvillea is lovely, but when the flowers (bracts?) die back, they dry/shrivel up and scatter about your terrace. More sweeping...
Regards,
Carol
Hi Carol, thanks for the reply, and apologies for the link. It's those pesky hyphons. This is what it should look like... http://www.garden-innovations.co.uk

I love bougainvillea, and have a lovely one in the conservatory, but I find that it's quite high maintenance. I was told to let it dry out completely between watering so wasn't sure if it would suit a drip feeder on our spanish terrace??? Plus, as you mention, there'll be a lot of sweeping up to be done in the windy weather.

I'll try and find some books that are geared to us gardeners who will only be able to nuture their plants for a couple of weeks a year. Cheers for that link, looks really useful.

Karen
Old Apr 17th 2006, 7:38 pm
Forum Regular

Cptnemo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by billybassett
Hi Carol, thanks for the reply, and apologies for the link. It's those pesky hyphons. This is what it should look like... http://www.garden-innovations.co.uk

I love bougainvillea, and have a lovely one in the conservatory, but I find that it's quite high maintenance. I was told to let it dry out completely between watering so wasn't sure if it would suit a drip feeder on our spanish terrace??? Plus, as you mention, there'll be a lot of sweeping up to be done in the windy weather.

I'll try and find some books that are geared to us gardeners who will only be able to nuture their plants for a couple of weeks a year. Cheers for that link, looks really useful.

Karen
Hi
As all the properties have outside taps - Have you thought about the "tap timers" fitted to an irrigation system ?
Old Apr 17th 2006, 10:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Carol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cptnemo
Hi
As all the properties have outside taps - Have you thought about the "tap timers" fitted to an irrigation system ?
Hi Cptnemo,
If you're referring specifically to Costa Esuri duplexes, I was told they don't have an outside (ie. terrace) tap. Installing one would be at owner's own cost (unless Fadesa changed their minds Sorry, I digress... ). Perhaps you mean ground floor apartments?
Either way, Lidl were selling water timers (£3.99? I did buy one...) for taps with 3/4" thread (26.9mm) with an additional adapter for 1/2" thread (21.3mm); adjustable watering time 5mins to 120mins. For more information, I believe these were discussed in the gardening thread: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ight=gardening
Regards,
Carol
Old Apr 18th 2006, 7:26 pm
Forum Regular

Cptnemo is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Cptnemo,
If you're referring specifically to Costa Esuri duplexes, I was told they don't have an outside (ie. terrace) tap. Installing one would be at owner's own cost (unless Fadesa changed their minds Sorry, I digress... ). Perhaps you mean ground floor apartments?
Either way, Lidl were selling water timers (£3.99? I did buy one...) for taps with 3/4" thread (26.9mm) with an additional adapter for 1/2" thread (21.3mm); adjustable watering time 5mins to 120mins. For more information, I believe these were discussed in the gardening thread: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ight=gardening
Regards,
Carol
Blimey 3.99 - the ones I saw were about 20ish - probably the same type of thing - not really a gardener, would just like some greenery on the roof terrace + balcony - ideally that doesnt need much/any looking after !!!!

Thanks for the gardening link
Old Apr 19th 2006, 11:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

un-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud of

What a great thread! If anyone can suggest a hitherto undescovered pot plant that can survive on a verandah for 8 weeks neglect at a time, I'd be truly grateful! Apart from my geraniums, I drag my verandah plants into the courtyard for watering in absence. I'd absolutely love to have some bougy plants, and to hell with the sweeping up when I arrive! I just doubt if they'd survive without more regular tending than I can currently offer.
Old Apr 20th 2006, 7:35 pm
Forum Regular

Arco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond repute

Spanish Terraces.

I can really appreciate how much you’d like to have some greenery on your terrace when you visit your Spanish home. But, like all living things, plants need care, attention and encouragement. There are many drought-resistant plants that could withstand your absence if they were well-established and had a little bit of shade, but the reality is that it’ll be hit and miss if no-one keeps a regular eye on them. Have a look in the garden centres (viveros) and see which plants in big pots are doing o.k. – palms, rosemary, aloe vera, agarves, smaller cypress trees. Other than that, if you’re potting anything up in terracotta pots, go for the glazed ones that retain more moisture; paint the inside of unglazed ones and line with scrunched up damp newspaper. Other than that, if you have no alternative, you could think about artificial ones!!
Old Apr 20th 2006, 9:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

un-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Arco-Iris
Spanish Terraces.

I can really appreciate how much you’d like to have some greenery on your terrace when you visit your Spanish home. But, like all living things, plants need care, attention and encouragement. There are many drought-resistant plants that could withstand your absence if they were well-established and had a little bit of shade, but the reality is that it’ll be hit and miss if no-one keeps a regular eye on them. Have a look in the garden centres (viveros) and see which plants in big pots are doing o.k. – palms, rosemary, aloe vera, agarves, smaller cypress trees. Other than that, if you’re potting anything up in terracotta pots, go for the glazed ones that retain more moisture; paint the inside of unglazed ones and line with scrunched up damp newspaper. Other than that, if you have no alternative, you could think about artificial ones!!
Thanks for the advice, Arco-Iris. I feared as much! Unfortunately I have a strange aversion to even the idea of artificial plants, although, having said that, a neighbour has an artificial orange tree on her verandah and - much as I hate to admit it - it looks remarkably realistic! Excellent advice on the terracotta pots, gracias.
Old Apr 21st 2006, 3:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi everybody,
I was interested to read your suggestion about the terracotta pots, Acro-Iris. Thanks. I recently saw on the telly a gardening program mentioning lining the terracotta pots with a black bin liner/ or a potting compost bag (making holes for the water to escape, etc) - to retain the moisture, as you said - when growing potatoes.
I also wonder if olive oil tins (or large coffee tins) would do the trick? Might not look as nice as pottery ones (need to watch out for the rust, and you could start a collection of different tins ), but I'm amazed just how well plants grow in these containers! Oh well, just a thought...
Regards,
Carol
Old Apr 21st 2006, 4:06 pm
Forum Regular

Arco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everybody,
I was interested to read your suggestion about the terracotta pots, Acro-Iris. Thanks. I recently saw on the telly a gardening program mentioning lining the terracotta pots with a black bin liner/ or a potting compost bag (making holes for the water to escape, etc) - to retain the moisture, as you said - when growing potatoes.
I also wonder if olive oil tins (or large coffee tins) would do the trick? Might not look as nice as pottery ones (need to watch out for the rust, and you could start a collection of different tins ), but I'm amazed just how well plants grow in these containers! Oh well, just a thought...
Regards,
Carol
Good suggestion, Carol.....have you seen how the Greeks shove all their plants in old oil tins and decorate the outside - they look lovely with geraniums, lavender, osteospermum spilling out.
Old Apr 25th 2006, 11:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Hola,
http://www.ayamonte.org/modules/page/?artid=2
Here's an interesting link about flora in Ayamonte, which includes the latin name of the plants. Try google translation/ or Babel fish translation.
Regards,
Carol
Old Apr 25th 2006, 11:57 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

We've got a lot of Cacti in our garden as no one waters the things from our one visit to another. Also we collected some plants from the beach and they have taken off really well.

Just a bit of greenery really until we are there full time and can look after them properly.

Our place is built on the side of a hill and has walled terraces all the way down the garden. Looking after the place is going to require some mountain climbing gear I think. I'm hoping the soil is good though as it was obviously used for agriculture at some time in the past.
Old Apr 25th 2006, 1:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi Mitzyboy,
I can imagine you'll be looking for plants that are fairly low maintenance on the upper terraces!
The walls will provide shelter from the winds (if that is a problem in your area), and the soil could well be fertile with nutrients being washed down the slope of the hillside. If the soil is quite rocky, then there are several plant options (as one would imagine are already growing wild on the hillside). Plants for scree beds, also some herbs (rosemary, thyme, etc?) Place these lower down for easy access to your kitchen pot. How about an irrigation system like on the terraces on the mountains (forgot the spanish/arabic name for these)?
It sounds lovely...
Carol
Old Apr 25th 2006, 4:58 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Mitzyboy,
I can imagine you'll be looking for plants that are fairly low maintenance on the upper terraces!
The walls will provide shelter from the winds (if that is a problem in your area), and the soil could well be fertile with nutrients being washed down the slope of the hillside. If the soil is quite rocky, then there are several plant options (as one would imagine are already growing wild on the hillside). Plants for scree beds, also some herbs (rosemary, thyme, etc?) Place these lower down for easy access to your kitchen pot. How about an irrigation system like on the terraces on the mountains (forgot the spanish/arabic name for these)?
It sounds lovely...
Carol
Well at the top we have plant beds built into the walls on the patio so thats no problem. Yes we get high winds from time to time and they have killed off quite a few plants we left in exposed areas. The neighbour has been living there for a year or so and they have planted a lot of stuff that survives but then they water them each day. We have a selection of trees ( i know not what they are) and its my dream to put some orange trees along one of the terraces and a lemon tree for the Gin. I have considered a timed irrigation system. I'm not actually a gardener really, but I'm quite looking forward to the challenge. Big plans ... but will they work out ... we'll see
First job, I've got to re build a lot of the terrace walls that the builders knocked over when they built the villa. Its going to be quite a rockery!