Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spanish Tax Declaration

Spanish Tax Declaration

Old Feb 20th 2009, 10:39 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spanish Tax Declaration

Originally Posted by Ashcan
If you turn the page to Article 19 you will see it confirms what I said earlier about pension with tax deducted at source.
The treaty can be found at http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/dtmanual/DT17550+.htm

Article 19 specifically deals with UK Government pensions and as we all know, these are taxed in the UK.

Article 18, which I quoted, refers to other pension income which MUST be taxed in the country of residence.

If you wish to think differently, that's up to you but I think most of us would be happy to believe what it says in the tax manual.

Last edited by Fred James; Feb 20th 2009 at 10:54 pm.
Old Feb 20th 2009, 11:05 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ashcan
I have spoken with our tax advisers.

If you turn the page to Article 19 you will see it confirms what I said earlier about pension with tax deducted at source.

There is no Law anywhere that compels you to pay tax in Spain on income otherwise derived, unless it is derived in Spain, so long as tax is paid on it somewhere. The statement that you should be taxed on your worldwide income if tax resident in Spain presupposes you are not paying tax on it anywhere already. If you decide it is in your best interests to remain a UK tax payer for assets and income streams there or anywhere else in the world, bar Spain, then you are quite entitled to do so.
  • if you own property in Spain you have to put in a tax return and pay tax in Spain which at the moment I am sure you all are doing;
  • if you do not own assets in Spain then you do not have to put in a tax return unless you live in Spain for more than 183 days and have income in Spain.
Income that is taxed elsewhere (including un-taxed pension income on which you pay tax in the UK by choice) need not be declared in Spain although you can do so.

It has been cynically suggested to me that the reason you are paying tax on your non-source taxed pensions is that someone in an office with a brass plate at the door told you that you had to fill in a form “so that you pay taxes on all your income here in Spain”, so you signed the form and they got you. Had they asked “Are you paying tax on your pension in the UK” and you answered in the affirmative, then they couldn’t have said “You cannot anymore because you are resident in Spain” because that would have been wrong.

You have found the source treaty document so you don’t need that link; if you have a properly qualified tax lawyer to hand then he will charge you a fee and confirm all this for you.

There is no need to go any further with the Property Tax thing because this is now a well known mechanism; the reason why it is not common-place is because estate agents sell houses not tax strategies and because few people think to check anything like that out because “at home we go out and buy a house, it must be the same in Spain” and of course UK based IFAs and Accountants know diddley squat about matters Spanish - well guys you know as well as I do that there is plenty about Spain that is quite different to the UK and Hurrah for that mostly, but tax-wise when you buy a home in Spain the accumulated Inheritance Tax, Capital Gains Tax and Purchase Tax actually means that you are also buying a huge tax burden of between 30% and 50% or more of the value of the property so anything that can be done, so long as it is cost effective, to remove such taxation legitimately is a very sensible investment of money especially at a time when traditional investment is both unpredictable and showing very little return.

This debate is going nowhere, I have no intention of getting up anyone’s noses over this, you take what advice you have paid for and if you are happy with it then fine, however there’s more than one way to skin a cat if you are prepared to take the blinkers off and step outside the box.

End of.
So ................... no official links then
Old Feb 26th 2009, 4:00 am
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

We have finally solved our tax problem!! (Getting registered for Spanish tax and couldn't find out how to do it, even our gestor said my husband's Teachers' pension had to be declared for tax purposes.

Went yesterday to a place which caters for local expats with financial problems or queries.

Paid 40 euros to speak to their wonderful Accountant, who is bi-lingual. He took information from us and told us we didn't have to pay any tax in Spain . He then said he would come to the Hacienda with us to make sure we got registered - he also said we may actually BE registered as with some people it happened automatically when they got their residency card. (He didn't know why some and not others ).

Anyway, we got there, no queue , and he asked the lady to check and we WERE registered and have been for four years! No-one ever told us. He arranged with the Hacienda to give us a Certificate of Tax Residency which means that we don't have to keep sending in tax returns saying 'nada' , and explained that once we were both 65, assuming we were still resident, then we wouldn't have to pay any CGT if we sold our house. PHEW!

Also we haven't broken any laws by not submitting a Tax Return or obtaining a Certtificate of Tax Residency before this and do not have to bother the Hacienda again.

He is now going to sort out our Spanish wills which he found out for us have never been registered with a notary, as they should have been (the guy who drew them up said everything had been done) and at the moment they are not legal.

Well worth 40 euros! A terrific weight off my mind.
Old Feb 26th 2009, 4:11 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

That`s good news.
Old Feb 26th 2009, 4:32 am
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Oh and he also told us (I've seen this thing discussed on this forum before) that our four-year-old Padron Certificate was perfectly acceptable and that it only needed to be renewed if we moved house. I've seen posts on here which say they need to be renewed every three months! Maybe it's one of those things that varies from place to place.

Last edited by scampicat; Feb 26th 2009 at 4:40 am.
Old Feb 26th 2009, 6:48 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scampicat
Oh and he also told us (I've seen this thing discussed on this forum before) that our four-year-old Padron Certificate was perfectly acceptable and that it only needed to be renewed if we moved house. I've seen posts on here which say they need to be renewed every three months! Maybe it's one of those things that varies from place to place.
Some of the gov offices will only accept them with a less than 3 months date on them though, even if you have had them for years, so you have to renew them.
Old Jul 12th 2009, 1:01 am
Just Joined

susanweeruiz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by scampicat
We have finally solved our tax problem!! (Getting registered for Spanish tax and couldn't find out how to do it, even our gestor said my husband's Teachers' pension had to be declared for tax purposes.

Went yesterday to a place which caters for local expats with financial problems or queries.

Paid 40 euros to speak to their wonderful Accountant, who is bi-lingual. He took information from us and told us we didn't have to pay any tax in Spain . He then said he would come to the Hacienda with us to make sure we got registered - he also said we may actually BE registered as with some people it happened automatically when they got their residency card. (He didn't know why some and not others ).

Anyway, we got there, no queue , and he asked the lady to check and we WERE registered and have been for four years! No-one ever told us. He arranged with the Hacienda to give us a Certificate of Tax Residency which means that we don't have to keep sending in tax returns saying 'nada' , and explained that once we were both 65, assuming we were still resident, then we wouldn't have to pay any CGT if we sold our house. PHEW!

Also we haven't broken any laws by not submitting a Tax Return or obtaining a Certtificate of Tax Residency before this and do not have to bother the Hacienda again.

He is now going to sort out our Spanish wills which he found out for us have never been registered with a notary, as they should have been (the guy who drew them up said everything had been done) and at the moment they are not legal.

Well worth 40 euros! A terrific weight off my mind.

Is there an office like the one described by scampicat in the Gandia area that someone can point out to me? My mother-in-law (she's French and is 68 yo) has been living here for 5 years (owns a small apartment here but nothing in France) and tells me that she's still declaring her taxes in France because she was told that she doesn't have to declare taxes here as she does not receive any income here (sounds like what Ashcan described earlier ). She definitely lives more than 182 days here, is this even legal?

She registered as a resident 5 years ago now isn't she automatically in the tax system? Shouldn't the tax return papers be sent to her every year automatically?

We are concerned that she may be slapped with the CGT if/when she sells her apartment.
Old Jul 12th 2009, 1:49 am
BE Forum Addict

SueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by susanweeruiz
Is there an office like the one described by scampicat in the Gandia area that someone can point out to me? My mother-in-law (she's French and is 68 yo) has been living here for 5 years (owns a small apartment here but nothing in France) and tells me that she's still declaring her taxes in France because she was told that she doesn't have to declare taxes here as she does not receive any income here (sounds like what Ashcan described earlier ). She definitely lives more than 182 days here, is this even legal?

She registered as a resident 5 years ago now isn't she automatically in the tax system? Shouldn't the tax return papers be sent to her every year automatically?

We are concerned that she may be slapped with the CGT if/when she sells her apartment.
There are two different types of residency and the one Mum would need is to be a fiscal resident here so that means she must complete a tax return. It might be worth doing even if it is a nil tax return then when she comes to sell her property she should not have the retention made. Someone will be along soon though who is more knowledgable than me
Old Jul 12th 2009, 7:13 am
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by susanweeruiz
Nope. In Spain the onus is on the individual to get themselves in the tax system and make tax returns.
Old Aug 10th 2009, 2:01 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

What is a 'Certificate of Tax Residency' referred to above, why is it issued to non tax payers ? How long is it valid. How do you obtain it ?
Old Aug 10th 2009, 2:07 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spainrico
What is a 'Certificate of Tax Residency' referred to above, why is it issued to non tax payers ? How long is it valid. How do you obtain it ?
Taking us as an example, we are aiming to have one pension taxed in the UK as it is a government pension, and the other taxed here (state pension). We have to go to the tax office in Valencia to apply for the certificate of tax residency to send it back to the UK to 3ensure the state pension is treated tax free in the UK.

If you are worried about proving you are taxed in Spain for CGT purposes etc then simply make a tax return here, which is what wer did several years ago. It was a nil return, but now we have registered our intent, as it were!
Old Aug 10th 2009, 2:46 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

OK now I understand its purpose. I thought I read somewhere you have to make at least 3 consecutive returns for the CGT benefits.
Old Aug 10th 2009, 2:56 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spainrico
OK now I understand its purpose. I thought I read somewhere you have to make at least 3 consecutive returns for the CGT benefits.
The rules on CGT say that you can only get tax relief on you "vivienda habituel" - your permanent home. This applies to the roll over relief or the over 65 total exemption.

From the tax point of view a property is only your permanent home if you have lived in for 3 years.

There are exceptions to this if you move within 3 years due to your job, marriage, death of the part owner or for medical reasons.

Other than that it's 3 years.
Old Aug 10th 2009, 3:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks..........

On a change of subject -

I hear that the Spanish income tax for perm residents on rental income is reduced if the tenants are of certain ages ie below 35 (?) or over 65 (?)

true ?
Old Aug 10th 2009, 6:47 am

I think there may be some truth in that but I am not sure if they get the relief or the whether landlord gets it.

I will have a look and get back if I find anything applicable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.