Reload this Page >

Spanish Tax Declaration

Spanish Tax Declaration

Old Aug 11th 2009, 4:17 pm
Forum Regular

iant will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Spanish Tax Declaration

Originally Posted by Fred James
The rules on CGT say that you can only get tax relief on you "vivienda habituel" - your permanent home. This applies to the roll over relief or the over 65 total exemption.

From the tax point of view a property is only your permanent home if you have lived in for 3 years.

There are exceptions to this if you move within 3 years due to your job, marriage, death of the part owner or for medical reasons.

Other than that it's 3 years.
Don't forget that if the property is jointly owned by husband and wife, BOTH have to be over 65 to get full exemption from capital gain on sale of permanent residence, otherwise the exemption is restricted to half of the gain only.
iant
Old Aug 12th 2009, 12:44 pm
Forum Regular

SHERGAR has much to be proud ofSHERGAR has much to be proud ofSHERGAR has much to be proud ofSHERGAR has much to be proud ofSHERGAR has much to be proud ofSHERGAR has much to be proud ofSHERGAR has much to be proud ofSHERGAR has much to be proud ofSHERGAR has much to be proud ofSHERGAR has much to be proud ofSHERGAR has much to be proud of

Can anyone here inform me if they have a financial year in Spain and does it start on April 1st as it does in UK?

Would April 1st be the starting date for your tax year?

Thanks
Old Aug 12th 2009, 2:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

jo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to behold

Its from 1st Jan to 31st Dec

Last edited by jo-ann; Aug 12th 2009 at 2:52 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Aug 12th 2009, 5:17 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jo-ann
Its from 1st Jan to 31st Dec
That's for residents only I think. For non-residents, isn't it mid-year?
Old Aug 12th 2009, 6:21 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
That's for residents only I think. For non-residents, isn't it mid-year?
A tax year is a tax year!

When the tax is due is a different issue.
Old Aug 13th 2009, 9:06 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
A tax year is a tax year!

When the tax is due is a different issue.
What I was meaning was that there are dates by which the forms have to be submitted in Spain. I agree, it seems that in Spain a tax year runs from January 1st and not April 1st.

For businesses, is it like the UK where you can declare any date you want? I know that my business has a tax year from 1st September.
Old Aug 13th 2009, 9:38 am
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

Fred, I will come online in a few weeks with a host of questions. (I know many of the answers are in the threads, buyt I generally can only connect at 1 or 2 Kilobits (not bytes!).
In principle though, we have the empadronamiento, Residencia will be December I am told, but from an earlier post (perhaps of yours?) I am under the impression that I should register for tax residency by NEXT June?

Many thanks
Old Aug 13th 2009, 10:28 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bigglesworth
Fred, I will come online in a few weeks with a host of questions. (I know many of the answers are in the threads, buyt I generally can only connect at 1 or 2 Kilobits (not bytes!).
In principle though, we have the empadronamiento, Residencia will be December I am told, but from an earlier post (perhaps of yours?) I am under the impression that I should register for tax residency by NEXT June?

Many thanks
If you come here later this year you will not have spent the requisite 183 days in Spain so you will not be tax resident for 2009.

If you live here permanently next year you will become tax resident at the end of June and you will be considered tax resident for the whole of 2010. Unless you are autonomo or employed, you will submit a tax declaration for earnings in 2010 by the end of June 2011. So - a nice long tax holiday!

Incidentally you do not register for tax residency as such - you just submit a tax declaration on time. If for some reason you want a Certificate of Tax Residency (the notary sometimes insists on this as proof of tax residency) then you can easily get one from the tax office.
Old Aug 13th 2009, 10:30 am

For businesses, is it like the UK where you can declare any date you want? I know that my business has a tax year from 1st September.
I can't help on that one - having never worked or run a business in Spain I have no experience of how that system works.

No doubt someone else will know.
Old Aug 13th 2009, 10:53 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

What I was meaning was that there are dates by which the forms have to be submitted in Spain. I agree, it seems that in Spain a tax year runs from January 1st and not April 1st.

Try researching here:

http://www.agenciatributaria.es/wps/...S&menu=0&img=0
Old Aug 13th 2009, 3:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

and here..........

http://www.spainsolicitors.com/non-r...income-tax.htm
Old Aug 13th 2009, 4:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by spainrico
Thanks..........

On a change of subject -

I hear that the Spanish income tax for perm residents on rental income is reduced if the tenants are of certain ages ie below 35 (?) or over 65 (?)

true ?
Answering my own question! Just found this:

Lettings

One of the novel features of the act which came into force on 01 January 2007 is that lettings to young persons between 18 and 35 years of age are now tax-exempt. Moreover, if the tenants aren't in this age bracket, the landperson will only have to declare 50% of the income.

It's more beneficial to let a flat for living in than to let it as an office or shop, because in the latter case the landperson will have to pay tax on the whole income; he or she won't get all of the rent in because the lessee will withhold 15% from him or her; and furthermore, he or she will have to send in quarterly VAT returns.

Costs of improving the property: up until 31-12-06 it was only possible to deduct costs, including financial ones, up to the level of the income received. From 2007 onwards, however, it is permissible for these costs to exceed the income, and even to produce a negative net result. Hence, the costs may be offset against other current income or against letting income as far back as four tax periods ago.