spanish tax

Old Apr 6th 2009, 10:47 am
Just Joined

tomreneemcq is an unknown quantity at this point
Default spanish tax

I·m 71yrs,resident in Spain for 6 years. My only income is from 3 pensions,approx 21000 euros.
What personal taxation allowances am I entitled to?
For my 2007 tax return I was allowed 2600 euros. Was this correct?
Old Apr 6th 2009, 11:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: spanish tax

Originally Posted by tomreneemcq
I·m 71yrs,resident in Spain for 6 years. My only income is from 3 pensions,approx 21000 euros.
It all depends on the source of the pensions. If any of them are governmet pensions paid by the UK government. They should be ignored in Spain and taxed at source in UK with a full UK personal allowance. Your Spanish alowances are then set against what is left.
Old Apr 6th 2009, 11:54 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: spanish tax

No, it should have been a lot more than that. The personal allowance for that year was 5050 plus an age allowance of 900. On top of this you would get another 2600 as an "earnings related" allowance. It might be this is where your figure came from.

As John has said, certain government pensions are not taxable in Spain and personal annuities are taxed very favourably, but whatever your income you are allowed the personal allowances.

They have all been increased by 2% for the current declaration for 2008 income.
Old Apr 6th 2009, 11:57 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

you will find you allowances and tax rates here HERE
Old Apr 6th 2009, 1:28 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by John & Kath
It all depends on the source of the pensions. If any of them are governmet pensions paid by the UK government. They should be ignored in Spain and taxed at source in UK with a full UK personal allowance. Your Spanish alowances are then set against what is left.
My pensions are from the following sources;
-NHS(non-governmental)
-British State Pension
-Irish State Pension(pro-rata)
Old Apr 6th 2009, 1:33 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Fred James
No, it should have been a lot more than that. The personal allowance for that year was 5050 plus an age allowance of 900. On top of this you would get another 2600 as an "earnings related" allowance. It might be this is where your figure came from.

As John has said, certain government pensions are not taxable in Spain and personal annuities are taxed very favourably, but whatever your income you are allowed the personal allowances.

They have all been increased by 2% for the current declaration for 2008 income.
Fred, my pensions are from the following sources;
-NHS(non-governmental)
-British State Pension
Old Apr 6th 2009, 1:55 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Fred, my pensions are from the following sources;
-NHS(non-governmental)
-British State Pension
They will all be taxable in Spain.

You will get total allowances of 8721 leaving a taxable base of 12279 which will be taxed at 24% giving you a tax bill of 2947. There is a special deduction of €400 for the 2008 tax year so you will end up paying €2547

I am assuming that it will be a single declaration. If you are married and declare jointly the tax will be lower.
Old Apr 6th 2009, 3:15 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Fred James
They will all be taxable in Spain.

You will get total allowances of 8721 leaving a taxable base of 12279 which will be taxed at 24% giving you a tax bill of 2947. There is a special deduction of €400 for the 2008 tax year so you will end up paying €2547

I am assuming that it will be a single declaration. If you are married and declare jointly the tax will be lower.
My wife is 63 yrs,and declares separately.Her income is approx.,19000 euros from 2 pensions.
-NHS
-British State Pension
Would it be advantageous to us to make a joint tax return?
Old Apr 6th 2009, 3:19 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

My wife is 63 yrs,and declares separately.Her income is approx.,19000 euros from 2 pensions.
-NHS
-British State Pension
It would be advantageous to me if you mcq`s shared your pensions with me. ;-) ;-)
Old Apr 6th 2009, 3:27 pm

-NHS
-British State Pension
Most certainly not. The incomes would be lumped together and taxed at the higher rates. You also do not both get the personal allowances, there is a reduced "family" allowance instead.

It is not a decision you need to make. The tax is calculated using the PADRE program issued by the tax office and is used by individuals, accountants and the tax office. This calculates both joint and individual declarations and you just submit the option that gives the lowest tax bill.
Old Apr 6th 2009, 11:38 pm
Just Joined

Thank you Fred for your advice it is much appreciated. I am glad I found this site,it has a wealth of appropriate information.