Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spanish Support Needed

Spanish Support Needed

Old Sep 14th 2007, 8:14 am
Forum Regular

lynda32 is a jewel in the roughlynda32 is a jewel in the roughlynda32 is a jewel in the roughlynda32 is a jewel in the roughlynda32 is a jewel in the rough
Default Spanish Support Needed

Im looking for someone willing to come to my home who is reasonably priced to tutor my 13 yr old daughter.
Would have to involve going over the work she has completed in Spanish class and practising the dialogues in her book and perhaps teaching her some Spanish.
Anyone know of anyone who would be able and willing in the Benidorm area?
Old Sep 14th 2007, 10:47 am
Welsh Ambassador to Spain

Fortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spanish Support Needed

Originally Posted by lynda32
Im looking for someone willing to come to my home who is reasonably priced to tutor my 13 yr old daughter.
Would have to involve going over the work she has completed in Spanish class and practising the dialogues in her book and perhaps teaching her some Spanish.

If it is just "homework" help with a view to improving her language in the process, may I suggest finding a smart Spanish girl of a similar age or maybe a couple of years older who can help in both areas and possibly become a friend to your daughter too. This would also,of course, be a cheap option. It would be less of a chore for your daughter if she had a friend who was helping her out as opposed to another teacher after spending all day with them!!! The new friend would be able to introduce your daughter to her circle of friends thus widening her possibilities of using and getting to know the new language.
Old Sep 14th 2007, 11:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Kate45 has a brilliant futureKate45 has a brilliant futureKate45 has a brilliant futureKate45 has a brilliant futureKate45 has a brilliant futureKate45 has a brilliant future

I am sorry I can not help you but your question has me interested....how long have you been living in Spain and how long has your daughter been learning the language.....I ask because I am moving my 3 children (one of whom is 13 ) to France..and was wondering roughly how long it will take them to learn a new language......( this could be like asking ..how long is a piece of string !!!)

Cheers
Kate
Old Sep 14th 2007, 11:31 am
Forum Regular

lynda32 is a jewel in the roughlynda32 is a jewel in the roughlynda32 is a jewel in the roughlynda32 is a jewel in the roughlynda32 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Fortaleza
If it is just "homework" help with a view to improving her language in the process, may I suggest finding a smart Spanish girl of a similar age or maybe a couple of years older who can help in both areas and possibly become a friend to your daughter too. This would also,of course, be a cheap option. It would be less of a chore for your daughter if she had a friend who was helping her out as opposed to another teacher after spending all day with them!!! The new friend would be able to introduce your daughter to her circle of friends thus widening her possibilities of using and getting to know the new language.
Hi Kate
My daughter who also is 13 has been living here since January and knows some basics. I think every child is different when it comes to picking up languages. Previously to living here we lived in Turkey and within 6-8 months my daughter was fluent in Turkish however she did attend a Turkish school and lived in a predominetly turkish area.
Here my daughter attends an International School as she is at the age where she will be due to exams in a couple of years time so for us this was the best option. However as she does not mix with Spanish children very much this has slowed the language learning down for her a bit. She is keen to learn Spanish and we are looking at her joining some clubs outside school where she can meet some spanish girls of her own age and develop a social circle which in turn should help her along.
Hope this helps.
Lynda
Old Sep 14th 2007, 11:35 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Fortaleza
Hi Fortaleza
Yes making spanish friends and joinging clubs is something that we are currently looking into as it would be good for her to integrate more and make some friends and also it would seem less of a chore to her.
However in the mean time we are looking to have a tutor for 1 hr a week. I am lucky in the fact that my daughter enjoys learning and doesnt mind doing an hour a week with a tutor to help with her exams.
Thanks Lynda
Old Sep 14th 2007, 11:36 am
Forum Regular

Hi Kate
My daughter who also is 13 has been living here since January and knows some basics. I think every child is different when it comes to picking up languages. Previously to living here we lived in Turkey and within 6-8 months my daughter was fluent in Turkish however she did attend a Turkish school and lived in a predominetly turkish area.
Here my daughter attends an International School as she is at the age where she will be due to exams in a couple of years time so for us this was the best option. However as she does not mix with Spanish children very much this has slowed the language learning down for her a bit. She is keen to learn Spanish and we are looking at her joining some clubs outside school where she can meet some spanish girls of her own age and develop a social circle which in turn should help her along.
Hope this helps.
Lynda
Oohps didnt mean to quick reply to Fortaleza twice.
Old Sep 14th 2007, 12:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kate45 has a brilliant futureKate45 has a brilliant futureKate45 has a brilliant futureKate45 has a brilliant futureKate45 has a brilliant futureKate45 has a brilliant future

Hi Kate
Hope this helps.
Lynda

Thank you Lynda ......thats is pretty much what I thought and my kids are going to go to french schools so hopefully that will help and we plan to use a tutor to help the 13 and 15 year olds ...the 9 year old I know will be fine.
But thanks that other children do it and survive is reassuring
Old Sep 14th 2007, 12:44 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Kate45
Thank you Lynda ......thats is pretty much what I thought and my kids are going to go to french schools so hopefully that will help and we plan to use a tutor to help the 13 and 15 year olds ...the 9 year old I know will be fine.
But thanks that other children do it and survive is reassuring
No probs Kate. I have noticed that children are often very resilient when it comes to relocating and picking up new languages. A lot more than some adults so dont worry about them as i am sure they will settle well.
My friend came over to Spain to live when her boy was 13 and he is now 37,happily settled with a wife and 2 kids and when you hear him speak Spanish you just would never know he was originally english. They did have a few problems settling in for about the 1st year and after that he started to build up a good social circle and now is more Spanish than will ever be English.
Good Luck with the move.
Old Sep 15th 2007, 5:09 am
Welsh Ambassador to Spain

Fortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Fortaleza
Yes making spanish friends and joinging clubs is something that we are currently looking into as it would be good for her to integrate more and make some friends and also it would seem less of a chore to her.
However in the mean time we are looking to have a tutor for 1 hr a week. I am lucky in the fact that my daughter enjoys learning and doesnt mind doing an hour a week with a tutor to help with her exams.
Thanks Lynda

Each to their own, of course and I would not like to second guess you in any way.

The reason I'm interested is that me and the missus have a language school and so we do know a little bit about the subject you are talking about. It's aways a thorny area and people have strong views, but I take the view that children are usually better off in the state schools, no matter how poor people usually percieve them to be. You get out what you put in and extra help can be sought if needed anyway. It all depends on what long-term plans you have also. If you are living in Spain with one eye back on the UK, then yes maybe keeping your daughter out of the Spanish systemis a good thing. After all she will be soon going back to the UK system. However if you do not see that happening in the next 10 years or so (ie your daughter's main academic years) then working with the ebb and flow could be beneficial. Unfortunately where we live,we know of several British families where they are sending their young children of 6 or 7 years old 50km away each day just to be in an International school. It costs them a fortune, the child spends two hours a day travelling and then they are a social leper in the town as they have absolutely no friends. At that age, social interaction is just as important as academic progress.
Old Sep 15th 2007, 8:20 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for your comments
Oh dear I did wonder how long it would take someone to bring up the subject of International Schools. This has already been covered in numerous other threads and sorry but dont really want to get back into it as it is a parents personal choice for there child and there is no right or wrong in the decision. Its whats personally best for the child concerned.
Back to the original question as i hate a thread going off track....
Can anyone recommend a someone in my area for homework support in Spanish.
Lynda
Old Sep 15th 2007, 10:35 am
Forum Regular

Joe King has much to be proud ofJoe King has much to be proud ofJoe King has much to be proud ofJoe King has much to be proud ofJoe King has much to be proud ofJoe King has much to be proud ofJoe King has much to be proud ofJoe King has much to be proud ofJoe King has much to be proud ofJoe King has much to be proud ofJoe King has much to be proud of

Have you asked the school for an extra hour's Spanish tuition? They should oblige and you know what you are getting for your money.