Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spanish state pensions

Spanish state pensions

Old Oct 31st 2008, 1:23 pm
Forum Regular

Sarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant future
Default Spanish state pensions

Does anyone know anything about how the Spanish state pension system works?

I read somewhere that if you are from the UK you have to work here for 15 years before you are eligible to have a Spanish state pension at retirement age...

This is the limit of my knowledge, so does anyone know anything else!?!?!?!
Old Oct 31st 2008, 1:45 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spanish state pensions

that's about the limit of my knowledge on that subject, too

I'd be interested to know more, also
Old Oct 31st 2008, 3:40 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

If you have worked in the UK and qualified for a minimum pension then years worked in Spain will also generate a pension without having to contribute for 15 years in Spain.

I have a friend who gets a (very small) Spanish state pension and he only worked in Spain for 3 years.
Old Oct 31st 2008, 5:55 pm
Forum Regular

Sarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant future

I am only in my early 30's so i'm not sure if i am eligible for a UK state pension on the years I have worked or not

I will be living in Spain for the forseeable future, which could be another 30+ years of working...
Old Oct 31st 2008, 6:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

poolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to behold

I would look into continuing class 2 NI contributions on a voluntary basis in UK. It´s a bargain at 2.3 GBP pw & keeps your entitlement to a full UK state pension.

Ok that´s the promise but....

There´s not likely to be any money left in 20 years time to pay this promise

and

The Govt will probably change the rules as you have effectively opted out the system already.

Call me a cynic, you can backdate up to 6 years but at 108 GBP pa it´s a good deal.
Old Oct 31st 2008, 7:20 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by poolboy
I would look into continuing class 2 NI contributions on a voluntary basis in UK. It´s a bargain at 2.3 GBP pw & keeps your entitlement to a full UK state pension. .
It's not that simple - it depends on your employment status when in the UK.

Class 2 contributions are paid by the self employed at the rate you quote but not everyone is entitled to pay these.

If you were an employee paying Class 1 contributions you will only be eligible to pay voluntary Class 3 contributions which are about £8/wk - it's still a good deal even at those rates.

If you want to pay the lower Class 2 rate you need to check with HMRC to see if you are eligible.

Also the rules all change in April 2010 when you only need 30 years of contributions for a full UK pension.
Old Oct 31st 2008, 8:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

poolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to behold

thanks for the clarification & I may also add that before doing anything you should get the Govt to prepare your individual forecast so you know how short you are & can make an informed choice.

I reckon the high contribution level at 8 GBP is still a good deal, at 2 its a steal.

Hope it helps & apologies for any confusion, I am certainly not qualified to give any advice so make your own mind up.

Cheers
Old Nov 1st 2008, 12:36 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the help about UK pensions, but I also want to know what the deal is with Spanish pensions... Someone must know something!!!!
Old Nov 1st 2008, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by Sarleon
Someone must know something!!!!
You could try this link to the Spanish Social Security website

http://www.seg-social.es/Internet_6/...tm?ssUserText=

It is in English for the most part but when you get into the detail it may revert to Spanish.