Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spanish Residency Appointment

Spanish Residency Appointment

Old May 3rd 2019, 12:13 pm
Just Joined

Catchfriday is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Spanish Residency Appointment

I am registering for Residence at the moment, and was not able to get an appointment as a Brit, so I have also French Nationality, and am able to do it through this.

Concerns

Complete Medical Care

The Spanish lawyer that I am using insists that I must take out Private Medical Insurance with Sanitas (BUPA) or equivalent. - I'm 65 and reluctant to waste over €157 a month on this on a policy that I know I will never use. More so I do not intend to live in Spain all the time - but that's another story....... I have obtained form S1 which was sent to my Spanish address. I have the Padron already - the lawyer is suggesting that NHS care is not enough - Companies like Sanitas want a commitment to pay for a year through IBAN ....... I have found a way through this place money on a Spanish bank account and later close the account.

Money

I was under the impression that the pension that I receive in the UK would cover this, as I make €20,000 at least a year. I have had a balance of €6000 for the last three months - but now the lawyer has said that I have to place €6000 in Spain.
What is wrong with the equivalent money in a UK bank account?

My residency appointment is on the 14th May.

please advise
Old May 3rd 2019, 2:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spanish Residency Appointment

Originally Posted by Catchfriday
I am registering for Residence at the moment, and was not able to get an appointment as a Brit, so I have also French Nationality, and am able to do it through this.

Concerns

Complete Medical Care

The Spanish lawyer that I am using insists that I must take out Private Medical Insurance with Sanitas (BUPA) or equivalent. - I'm 65 and reluctant to waste over €157 a month on this on a policy that I know I will never use. More so I do not intend to live in Spain all the time - but that's another story....... I have obtained form S1 which was sent to my Spanish address. I have the Padron already - the lawyer is suggesting that NHS care is not enough - Companies like Sanitas want a commitment to pay for a year through IBAN ....... I have found a way through this place money on a Spanish bank account and later close the account.

Money

I was under the impression that the pension that I receive in the UK would cover this, as I make €20,000 at least a year. I have had a balance of €6000 for the last three months - but now the lawyer has said that I have to place €6000 in Spain.
What is wrong with the equivalent money in a UK bank account?

My residency appointment is on the 14th May.

please advise
i was told the same thing, to leave 5000 to 8000 in an account but once residency approved can withdraw. i was told it wasn't a strict rule but generally needed o make things go smoothly
Old May 3rd 2019, 4:46 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

If you are a UK pensioner and apply for an S1 form, you most definitely do not need health insurance once you have submitted the S1 form to the INSS. For the lawyer to say that the NHS cover is not enough, assuming he means the Spanish state healthcare system, is absolute rubbish. As for the money side, you are right that the UK state pension should be enough, but preferably you need to show that it has been paid, directly or indirectly into your Spanish account.

In theory, money in a UK account should suffice, but it would be much better to transfer a lump sum to cover all options. You have to remember that each place makes up the rules as they go along and arguing with it is a waste of time, just provide the evidence they require. Some places are happy with the fact that you own a property, others will accept a decent credit card balance and others want you to have a regular proven income into a Spanish account.
Old May 3rd 2019, 6:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute

It will be interesting to see if a mix of French nationality or citizenship and a UK S1 passes muster.

For our residencia proof of our pensions and a bank statement showing them being deposited regularly was all that was required, nothing at all about bank balances or savings erc. .

Old May 14th 2019, 8:40 pm
Just Joined

I obtained Spanish Residency this morning under my British Passport in the office in Madrid - thank you for your kind advice.

In relation to form S1 - I am still living in UK and living in Spain. I travel here every month at least two times.

So the idea of unregistering at my GP is not in my interest.

Last edited by Catchfriday; May 14th 2019 at 8:44 pm.
Old May 14th 2019, 9:20 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

If you register in Spain for health cover using your S1 form and are resident in Spain, you can continue to use the UK NHS as you wish, so no need to worry.
Old May 15th 2019, 8:35 pm
Just Joined

One other thing Fred at this present time I have Attendance Allowance - will I still be able to claim this in Spain from the UK?