Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spanish Residencia and social security system

Spanish Residencia and social security system

Old Nov 20th 2012, 8:40 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spanish Residencia and social security system

Originally Posted by frank4553
Thanks lynnxa....sorry to appear stupid.....but what is the best way to sort it given the circumstances....worried!!!

edit: she is in Spain now but coming back to UK this week.
just tell her to unregister from being resident at the office where she registered

then if there are problems down the line with tax etc. she has it official that she stopped being resident from that date

then make sure she doesn't exceed the 90 days at a time & 182/365 days here in Spain
Old Nov 20th 2012, 8:45 pm
Forum Regular

MoonBaby is just really niceMoonBaby is just really niceMoonBaby is just really niceMoonBaby is just really niceMoonBaby is just really niceMoonBaby is just really niceMoonBaby is just really niceMoonBaby is just really niceMoonBaby is just really nice

Originally Posted by lynnxa
so she is in Spain now? or not?

if she spends 7 months a year in Spain, then she should be registered as resident (green certificate) & needs to do tax returns here in Spain whether or not she earns anything

was she registered as resident in Spain & doing tax returns before April 24th this year?

it makes a difference to any further answers

assuming she is/was registered before then, & it reads that way - she is using the Spanish healthcare system so should apply for a TSE (the Spanish version of the EHIC) so that in the time she is in the UK she can access healthcare there as a tourist - she isn't in any legal sense a resident of the UK, so can't/shouldn't be registered with a doctor there

it's not a choice - it's all governed by the amount of time she spends in each country
Is it necessary to do tax returns when you're on a PAYE sort of scheme and deductions are taken out before you get your salary? I was under the impression that it wasn't.
Old Nov 20th 2012, 9:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MoonBaby
Is it necessary to do tax returns when you're on a PAYE sort of scheme and deductions are taken out before you get your salary? I was under the impression that it wasn't.
Yes you most definitely should!
Old Nov 20th 2012, 9:50 pm
Just Joined

frank4553 has a brilliant futurefrank4553 has a brilliant futurefrank4553 has a brilliant futurefrank4553 has a brilliant futurefrank4553 has a brilliant futurefrank4553 has a brilliant futurefrank4553 has a brilliant futurefrank4553 has a brilliant future

just tell her to unregister from being resident at the office where she registered

then if there are problems down the line with tax etc. she has it official that she stopped being resident from that date

then make sure she doesn't exceed the 90 days at a time & 182/365 days here in Spain
Thanks lynnxa.....I'll tell her that.
Does she need to do anything regarding her medica appointments treatment over here....forms to fill in etc?
Old Nov 20th 2012, 9:51 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

If your income is less than 22K then you are not obliged to so long as you have been paying by deductions from your salary.

However the tax coding system doesn't necessarily take account of all your deductions and allowances so you usually end up paying too much tax. You can then submit a declaration and get the relevant refund.
Old Nov 20th 2012, 10:58 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frank4553
Thanks lynnxa.....I'll tell her that.
Does she need to do anything regarding her medica appointments treatment over here....forms to fill in etc?
I have a feeling that she has been continuing with her UK GP & hospital all this time in any case?

if so, just carry on &
Old Nov 20th 2012, 11:22 pm
Forum Regular

MoonBaby is just really niceMoonBaby is just really niceMoonBaby is just really niceMoonBaby is just really niceMoonBaby is just really niceMoonBaby is just really niceMoonBaby is just really niceMoonBaby is just really niceMoonBaby is just really nice

Originally Posted by Fred James
If your income is less than 22K then you are not obliged to so long as you have been paying by deductions from your salary.

However the tax coding system doesn't necessarily take account of all your deductions and allowances so you usually end up paying too much tax. You can then submit a declaration and get the relevant refund.
That's what I thought. I'm planning to leave Spain next June and I probably won't be back. I've been working since this September, so I imagine I will have overpaid my tax. Is it a hassle to do the declaration etc once you've left Spain?
Old Nov 20th 2012, 11:38 pm
Just Joined

frank4553 has a brilliant futurefrank4553 has a brilliant futurefrank4553 has a brilliant futurefrank4553 has a brilliant futurefrank4553 has a brilliant futurefrank4553 has a brilliant futurefrank4553 has a brilliant futurefrank4553 has a brilliant future

I have a feeling that she has been continuing with her UK GP & hospital all this time in any case?

if so, just carry on &
Yes that's the case lynnxa, more through ignorance really...she's a very honest person!! ....and her doctor knows she spends the time away...never been a problem........

Frank
Old Nov 20th 2012, 11:57 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Is it a hassle to do the declaration etc once you've left Spain?
You can do it all online.