What box

Old Nov 18th 2012, 4:42 pm
Forum Regular

patontheback is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What box

Can you tell me what tv box I will need to recive uk tv in spain there is satellite dish in the garden which is bigger than a sky dish there is no ariel on the roof.
So I am not sure if I need freeserve or freesat
Thanks for any help you can give me
Old Nov 18th 2012, 5:06 pm
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What box

Originally Posted by patontheback
Can you tell me what tv box I will need to recive uk tv in spain there is satellite dish in the garden which is bigger than a sky dish there is no ariel on the roof.
Well, freeserve was the old Dixons free dial up internet service, now taken over by orange, so you wil not get UK TV on a "freeserve box"!

Freesat are a brand of satellite receivers that allow access to the "free" UK TV channels.
A Sky box, even with no card, will also get the "free" UK TV channels.
As will an "off the shelf" satellite recevier.

Which channels you get will depend on your location and size of dish.
- and probably more important, the reception of the new satellite that will be coming online next week ( http://www.satandpcguy.com/Site/astr...k_tv_spain.php )

You will not get UK TV via a TV aerial in Spain - only Spanish TV. But, connecting a Digital Terrestrial Box (TDT - similar to freeview in the UK) you can receive around 40 Spanish TV channels, where, in many cases in UK and USA imported shows and movies, you can change from the dubbed Spanish audio, to the original english audio.
Old Nov 19th 2012, 8:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Countryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this point

there is no ariel on the roof.
What's washing powder got to do with it?
Unless you're trying to receive soaps of course.

Old Nov 19th 2012, 10:11 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biffta

Old Nov 19th 2012, 12:16 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Alternatively .... if you have a sky account now in the you can just bring the box with you to Spain, keep the account registered to a UK address, and connect it to the correct sized dish and you can then continue as normal

You just need to ensure that you dont tell SKY that you no longer reside in the UK
Old Nov 19th 2012, 2:51 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Basically, any satellite receiver will receive UK Freesat channels as long as your dish is correctly aligned and the technical bits are sorted. You can pick up a normal satellite receiver for as little as €25 (non-HD). An HD satellite receiver can cost as little as €40.

The main drawbacks to using a non-"freesat" box are a) lack of 8-day EPG compatible with the Freesat system, and b) the channel list must be manually updated.

UK channels seem to move around a lot, so unless you are technically oriented (as my BH is) and are prepared to manually update the boxes, the €50 - €100 higher price for a bona-fide "freesat" box may be well worth the investment.

For me, the cheeky thing is that the only difference between the two apparently is a few bits of proprietary software loaded on "freesat" boxes that normal boxes don't have, to facilitate the automatic channel list updates and compatibility with the Freesat 8-day EPG.
Old Nov 21st 2012, 9:38 am
Banned

BAT7311 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Biffta

they are called ´soaps´because they were first made for women to watch during
the day in 1950s american and were backed by washing powder companies like Procter & Gamble who make aerial .....
Old Nov 21st 2012, 9:44 am
Forum Regular

patontheback is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the replies i have an old sky+ box but no card will this work without it
do you know?
like the soup comment
cheers
Old Nov 21st 2012, 9:53 am
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

a sky box, even with no card, will be able to receive the "free to air" channels - depending on your location and dish size.

Examples of free to air channels include, bbc1,2,3,4,itv1,2,3,4,c4,e4,m4,f4,five,five*,fiveu sa, cbs, and around 200 othre channels.
Old Nov 21st 2012, 1:21 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Guy
a sky box, even with no card, will be able to receive the "free to air" channels - depending on your location and dish size.

Examples of free to air channels include, bbc1,2,3,4,itv1,2,3,4,c4,e4,m4,f4,five,five*,fiveu sa, cbs, and around 200 othre channels.
oh, is that all ?
hardly worth the effort then

`