spanish paint

Old Feb 5th 2011, 9:10 am
Forum Regular

jules63 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default spanish paint

Can someone explain spanish paint to me as I am bit confused
there seems to be small pots of tint - do you mix these with white? its just I am used to B &Q where there is every type of paint in every colour
I want some coloured eggshell to paint over varnished wood doors (yes i realise that is going to be a bit of job in terms of preparation but I am determined to give it a go!)

Any advice welcome!
Old Feb 5th 2011, 10:04 am
BE Enthusiast

twistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: spanish paint

Originally Posted by jules63
there seems to be small pots of tint - do you mix these with white? its just I am used to B &Q where there is every type of paint in every colour
I want some coloured eggshell to paint over varnished wood doors (yes i realise that is going to be a bit of job in terms of preparation but I am determined to give it a go!)

Any advice welcome!
Places like AKI sell coloured paint but you are right they don't have the same selection as you get in the UK.
Also you have to read the tin carefully, as you say it is very confusing.
I have only used tints in emulsion, as with wood paint it is harder to mix properly by hand.
Some paint shops can mix paint for you but it tends to be very expensive. The last time I bought a small tin like that it cost 20€.
Old Feb 5th 2011, 10:55 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Any advice welcome!
Pop down to Don Colour on the N332 in Oliva. They are very helpful
Other than that, I get my paint from Jovera on the road between N332 and La Vital. They will actually mix paint for you there and it's not expensive. They have a book of pain colours and you can choose the one you want in different sized pots. It's best to get a decent paint though as some of the cheaper ones dont seem to last. I dont know if its worth putting a sealant coat on first. I'm not sure how that is on wood. I certainly put one on outside walls now.
Old Feb 5th 2011, 2:58 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know where you are(?) but near me there are several very good stores where they will mix the paint to any colour you desire.

There is a bewildering variety / types of paint and a range of qualities on offer. IMHO, cheapest is not always good economy. If you don't know, be careful to get good advice.
Old Feb 5th 2011, 3:38 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by twistedmelon
Places like AKI sell coloured paint but you are right they don't have the same selection as you get in the UK.
Also you have to read the tin carefully, as you say it is very confusing.
I have only used tints in emulsion, as with wood paint it is harder to mix properly by hand.
Some paint shops can mix paint for you but it tends to be very expensive. The last time I bought a small tin like that it cost 20€.
I'm not sure why you have that opinion - you can get any colour under the sun if you go to a decent paint shop.

I use a company called MONTO - they seem to be quite widespread and they will mix any colour in any type of paint.

They also offer a service whereby if you have an old flake of existing paint, then they can 'scan' it and match it exactly!
Old Feb 5th 2011, 3:42 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missile
I don't know where you are(
Near me
Old Feb 5th 2011, 6:21 pm
Banned

betris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond repute

Any advice welcome!
you can get any colour or any type of paint here.the only reason they use tints is that its cheaper than buying a fixed colour.for you try this may be the easyest way .get some oil base primer (undecoat) then get your colour oil base satinado(eggshell)get a little sponge roller and a brush.rub down.paint the frame roll the door.using your undercoat thined by about 10 percent and mixed well.when dry light rub down (denib)thin down your top coat by 10/15 percent then paint away.if you need two coats of undercoat and a good rub down then do it.if you need two coats of top coat then do it.
Old Feb 6th 2011, 4:55 am
BE Enthusiast

twistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
I'm not sure why you have that opinion - you can get any colour under the sun if you go to a decent paint shop.

I use a company called MONTO - they seem to be quite widespread and they will mix any colour in any type of paint.

They also offer a service whereby if you have an old flake of existing paint, then they can 'scan' it and match it exactly!
I assumed the OP was referring to the lack of choice in off the shelf ready mixed colours, which from my own experience, I agreed with.
I did tell the OP she could get paint mixed.