British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Spanish motorcycle licence (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/spanish-motorcycle-licence-940967/)

Chipmonk Oct 6th 2021 7:43 pm

Re: Spanish motorcycle licence

Originally Posted by Joppa (Post 13059259)
Family visas: apply, extend or switch: Knowledge of English - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
There are some exceptions, such as those aged 65+, from predominantly English speaking country, with mental incapacity etc, but usually you have to show English speaking ability by passing an approved test at A1 level or above, degree taught in English. To extend your stay after 2.5 years, you need language test pass at A2 or higher. For settlement (indefinite leave to remain), it's B1.

Yes , as I said- if you want to be a resident in UK you need the language. I imagine most Brits think that is reasonable. The same goes for having a driving licence. Dont think the police would be too happy having to deal with traffic violations with drivers who cant understand anything. Cant see why Brits in Spain think it should be different for them!

Fred James Oct 6th 2021 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by Joppa (Post 13059259)
Family visas: apply, extend or switch: Knowledge of English - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
There are some exceptions, such as those aged 65+, from predominantly English speaking country, with mental incapacity etc, but usually you have to show English speaking ability by passing an approved test at A1 level or above, degree taught in English. To extend your stay after 2.5 years, you need language test pass at A2 or higher. For settlement (indefinite leave to remain), it's B1.

Thanks for that, but there seem to be many exceptions especially the over 65 exception. There is no evidence in those requirements to suggest a good reason for the UK not to offer a reciprocal agreement to which is what we are talking about.

Chipmonk Oct 7th 2021 5:48 am

A few years ago there was the introduction of Universal Healthcare brought in by the government and lots of ex-pats ( including a well known website) insisted that the law applied to them and that free healthcare was available irrespective of status. Reports of persons being given SiP cards in Valencia etc were circulated on the forum and it was argued that it was simply a matter of time until all regions applied it. That was over 2 years ago and of course nothing of the sort has ever happened....so I wouldn't bet on changes happening just because it seems reasonable and beneficial to one national group

Notdunroamin Oct 9th 2021 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by Fred James (Post 13059117)
Spain has agreemnts with nearly 30 non EU countries to exchange licences - why should an agreement with the UK be a problem, especially as current UK licences already meet the EU requirements. It's only a matter of when, not if.

If there was a will then it could have been done long long before now so I'm afraid I do not share your optimism.

It's not as if UK didn't recognise the potential problems with exchanges as in March 2018 they moved to ratify the 1968 Vienna Convention to which hitherto they had been only signatories. That ratification facilitated the exchange of licences from all the other nations which had similarly ratified the convention. Unfortunately Spain were, and still are, only signatories and it's their failure to similarly ratify which is the root cause of the whole situation. Even now if they ratified the problem would vanish.

I agree that a UK photocard licence is in the EU format and fully compliant with the directives, it was in fact one of the first to introduced the licence following the directive coming into force in 1998, sadly however since the end of the transition period that counts for nought.

At present then it's as if you had never had a licence at all and therefore for all intents and purposes you are a beginner no different to any Spaniard learning to drive for the first time and subject to the same conditions and restrictions.

As regards the OP, if he registered for an exchange before Jan 1st this year he should be given the option (may have to ask) of having all his existing groups transferred over but with requirements for repeat periodic medicals for groups above B and BE.