Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spanish motorcycle licence

Spanish motorcycle licence

Old Oct 5th 2021, 7:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Albir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Spanish motorcycle licence

Hi all,

Changing my U.K car licence over to Spanish shortly which is no problem but I also I want to buy myself a high powered scooter soon, can you do a separate motorcycle test or is it just one driving licence in Spain which has to be a A1 licence to drive cars and ride motorbikes above 125cc ?

im a bit confused as in the U.K. it’s two completely different tests and licences etc, I’m thinking do I need to do it all together when changing my licence over ?

anybody on this forum who rides motorbikes on a Spanish licence with any knowledge on the subject or anybody that knows please let me know 😆

thanks

T

Old Oct 5th 2021, 8:18 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spanish motorcycle licence

Originally Posted by Albir_Tom
Hi all,

Changing my U.K car licence over to Spanish shortly which is no problem but I also I want to buy myself a high powered scooter soon, can you do a separate motorcycle test or is it just one driving licence in Spain which has to be a A1 licence to drive cars and ride motorbikes above 125cc ?

im a bit confused as in the U.K. it’s two completely different tests and licences etc, I’m thinking do I need to do it all together when changing my licence over ?

anybody on this forum who rides motorbikes on a Spanish licence with any knowledge on the subject or anybody that knows please let me know 😆

thanks

T
It's exactly the same here in Spain as in UK. You need at least two tests. One BIG difference is that if you have passed your car test ("B") then after 3 (?) years, you can drive any bike up to 125cc

However, to get an "A" licence (all bikes), you would first need to get an "A1" and then wait for a couple of years before taking the "A" test.

If you already have other categories (A, A1 etc.) then these are carried over when you exchange your licence. Remember though that UK licences can no longer be exchanged!
Old Oct 5th 2021, 10:21 am
Forum Regular

Flyingbanana is an unknown quantity at this point

What a great question & something i had not thought about maybe cause our retirement plans are 1-3 years away. We already have a property in Spain & the plan was to retire in Spain.My partner & i have full UK driving Lic's with full motorcycle lic's for our garage full of sports bikes from 600cc to 1000cc. Is it a case of us having to do the car test & motorcycle test again if we were to take up SPanish residency ?
Any links appreciated & i will go off & read

thanks
a
Old Oct 5th 2021, 10:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Chipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flyingbanana
What a great question & something i had not thought about maybe cause our retirement plans are 1-3 years away. We already have a property in Spain & the plan was to retire in Spain.My partner & i have full UK driving Lic's with full motorcycle lic's for our garage full of sports bikes from 600cc to 1000cc. Is it a case of us having to do the car test & motorcycle test again if we were to take up SPanish residency ?
Any links appreciated & i will go off & read

thanks
a
At the moment any UK licence holder who becomes a Spanish resident will need to do a test. This might change in the future but current regulations require a Spanish test ( the practical which is done in Spanish)
Old Oct 5th 2021, 11:10 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Chipmonk
At the moment any UK licence holder who becomes a Spanish resident will need to do a test. This might change in the future but current regulations require a Spanish test ( the practical which is done in Spanish)
Thanks for reply Chipmonk - once this test is done, do you know if that allows us the entitlement we had on our UK Lic ie M/bikes etc , sorry to be a pain
Old Oct 5th 2021, 11:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for reply Chipmonk - once this test is done, do you know if that allows us the entitlement we had on our UK Lic ie M/bikes etc , sorry to be a pain
You would need to pass Spanish driving test for bike and car. Spanish car licence allows you to ride up to 125 only. Not sure if you do separate theory test for bike and car .
Old Oct 5th 2021, 11:51 am
Forum Regular

Angry Re: Spanish motorcycle licence

Originally Posted by bobd22
You would need to pass Spanish driving test for bike and car. Spanish car licence allows you to ride up to 125 only. Not sure if you do separate theory test for bike and car .
Thanks Bobd22 - unhappy now...... boo hoo
Old Oct 5th 2021, 4:15 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Bobd22 - unhappy now...... boo hoo
Also, you would have to take at least three (3) tests.

(1) firstly for the car
(2) then for A1
(3) then after 2 or 3 years you would need to take A to allow you to ride bigger bikes.

It's a bit of a mess given you have already proved competency
Old Oct 5th 2021, 9:11 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

our retirement plans are 1-3 years away.
That would gives you time to sit the tests before you make the move?

Old Oct 6th 2021, 3:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute

Doesn't work like that I'm afraid, Spanish residency comes first, driving licence(s) second.

You can certainly study in advance for the theory test though.
Old Oct 6th 2021, 5:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Stingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond repute

If you have passed your test once in the UK then it really shouldn’t be that hard to pass again in Spain especially if you have been driving or riding for a while.
Old Oct 6th 2021, 6:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Chipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stingychips
If you have passed your test once in the UK then it really shouldn’t be that hard to pass again in Spain especially if you have been driving or riding for a while.
Apart from having to learn Spanish!!
Old Oct 6th 2021, 6:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Stingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chipmonk
Apart from having to learn Spanish!!
should know basic castellano if your living in Spain this day and age.
Old Oct 6th 2021, 9:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stingychips
should know basic castellano if your living in Spain this day and age.
That's a bit of a throwaway comment. What's basic Castiliano? to take a driving test one would need to speak sufficient to not only answer questions but receive and respond to specific instructions quickly. Also ones ability to learn a new language is different for all of us. You may have found learning Spanish easy many don't, we are all different.
Old Oct 6th 2021, 9:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bobd22
That's a bit of a throwaway comment. What's basic Castiliano? to take a driving test one would need to speak sufficient to not only answer questions but receive and respond to specific instructions quickly. Also ones ability to learn a new language is different for all of us. You may have found learning Spanish easy many don't, we are all different.
My ex did her Spanish test and she spoke C1 level Spanish. She said that it was stressful as the examiner had a strong accent from Murcia and she said she was asked questions about oil, wheel changing etc so I very much doubt basic Spanish ( whatever that means) would be sufficient

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.