Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spanish Lessons!

Spanish Lessons!

Old Aug 14th 2009, 10:40 am
Forum Regular

leckytech has a brilliant futureleckytech has a brilliant futureleckytech has a brilliant futureleckytech has a brilliant futureleckytech has a brilliant futureleckytech has a brilliant futureleckytech has a brilliant future
Default Spanish Lessons!

Can anyone help me?

I'm studying Pimsluer Spanish at work at the moment and a phrase I would like to use is "Can I have ......." The course so far has given "I want", "Give me", "Is there" which all seem inappropriate.

What is the correct phrase for asking for something in a shop/restaurant etc.

I could always ask someone when I get home but Im too impatient for that and need to push on with the course.

Thanks in advance

leckytech
Old Aug 14th 2009, 10:47 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spanish Lessons!

If you want to speak Spanish like the Spanish then the phrases they are giving you are correct - you cannot just translate English into Spanish and expect it to work, what might seem abrupt/rude to us is everyday Spanish and how it is spoken.

However if you want to do it your way try:

Puedo yo tener
Old Aug 14th 2009, 10:49 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leckytech
Can anyone help me?

I'm studying Pimsluer Spanish at work at the moment and a phrase I would like to use is "Can I have ......." The course so far has given "I want", "Give me", "Is there" which all seem inappropriate.

What is the correct phrase for asking for something in a shop/restaurant etc.

I could always ask someone when I get home but Im too impatient for that and need to push on with the course.

Thanks in advance

leckytech
lots of different phrases to use to order in a restaurant or shop

me pide -

me pone

quería

quiero

ponme

póngame

dame

déme
Old Aug 14th 2009, 10:50 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spainrico
If you want to speak Spanish like the Spanish then the phrases they are giving you are correct - you cannot just translate English into Spanish and expect it to work, what might seem abrupt/rude to us is everyday Spanish and how it is spoken.

However if you want to do it your way try:

Puedo yo tener
don't be mean

edit

the more I think about that the more I can't believe or understand why you would tell someone something so completely wrong

why

Last edited by lynnxa; Aug 14th 2009 at 11:01 am.
Old Aug 14th 2009, 10:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Yes this was dificult when I started learning. I found the trick was to use the polite version of the imperitive. This is the most polite way you can ask for things in Spanish. For example:

"Me cobras" por favor
"Me traes la cuenta por favor"
"Me das" la camisa con rayas
"Me pones" un gin tonic por favor (or "me pongas" if you want to be super-polite use the subjunctive - I think....)

This is better than using the imperitive i.e. ponme, dame, cobrame, traeme.

Politeness in Spanish is all down to the tone of voice, a slight inclination towards the end of the sentence suggests that you are not being demanding.

Foreign people can annoy Spaniards by shouting out imperitives in an agressive tone
Old Aug 14th 2009, 11:03 am
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by cricketman
Yes this was dificult when I started learning. I found the trick was to use the polite version of the imperitive. This is the most polite way you can ask for things in Spanish. For example:

"Me cobras" por favor
"Me traes la cuenta por favor"
"Me das" la camisa con rayas
"Me pones" un gin tonic por favor (or "me pongas" if you want to be super-polite use the subjunctive - I think....)

This is better than using the imperitive i.e. ponme, dame, cobrame, traeme.

Politeness in Spanish is all down to the tone of voice, a slight inclination towards the end of the sentence suggests that you are not being demanding.

Foreign people can annoy Spaniards by shouting out imperitives in an agressive tone
when I'm teaching I tend to find that the less words a student needs to learn the better - reminding them as you say, about a pleasant tone of voice & a questioning lilt - I call it the 'aussie lift'
Old Aug 14th 2009, 11:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
when I'm teaching I tend to find that the less words a student needs to learn the better - reminding them as you say, about a pleasant tone of voice & a questioning lilt - I call it the 'aussie lift'
The only person I have taught is myself

I was lucky enough to have my university summer holidays in Spain at my parents. Mainly consited of watching the cricket and learning Spanish from my books. Then I spent 1 month on an intensive course and all the theory clicked into place.

Since, then I've not looked at a book again, just put myself in situations where I need to speak and listen
Old Aug 14th 2009, 11:18 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

don't be mean

edit

the more I think about that the more I can't believe or understand why you would tell someone something so completely wrong

why
I think the OP wanted the direct translation of "Can I have"
Old Aug 14th 2009, 11:19 am
¿Dónde estoy?

The only person I have taught is myself

I was lucky enough to have my university summer holidays in Spain at my parents. Mainly consited of watching the cricket and learning Spanish from my books. Then I spent 1 month on an intensive course and all the theory clicked into place.

Since, then I've not looked at a book again, just put myself in situations where I need to speak and listen
most of my students don't know or want to know anything about grammar - I teach them how to say something & sneak the grammar in when they're not looking!

usually along the lines of 'do you remember when we learned.....................................? well, that's called the.......................... & you can use the same method/idea/construction to say.......................................'

a groan went up when I said 'verb' the other day!

it's the difference between teaching them how to manage on a day to day basis & how to pass an exam - they're not going to be taking any exams, so it really doesn't matter if it's called the subjunctive/imperative/preterite/simple tense/compound tense/whatever!
Old Aug 14th 2009, 11:21 am
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
I think the OP wanted the direct translation of "Can I have"
I don't think so though - and if he did you wouldn't use that phrase in a restaurant or a shop, as I think he realises

and it's not what spainrico put anyway
Old Aug 14th 2009, 11:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

most of my students don't know or want to know anything about grammar - I teach them how to say something & sneak the grammar in when they're not looking!

usually along the lines of 'do you remember when we learned.....................................? well, that's called the.......................... & you can use the same method/idea/construction to say.......................................'

a groan went up when I said 'verb' the other day!

it's the difference between teaching them how to manage on a day to day basis & how to pass an exam - they're not going to be taking any exams, so it really doesn't matter if it's called the subjunctive/imperative/preterite/simple tense/compound tense/whatever!

Yes I agree, I'm sure the grammer thing is what makes so many un-academic people give up.

If the goal is for them to get by at the shops then there is no need to teach the grammer

If the goal is to eventual speak fluent Spanish, grammer has to form the basis. There is no other way in Spanish as the subtleties between the conjugation of verbs make all the difference.
Old Aug 14th 2009, 11:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I don't think so though - and if he did you wouldn't use that phrase in a restaurant or a shop, as I think he realises

I agree with lynnxa. The OP cant go around sayin Puedo yo tener... it makes absolutely no sense.

If he used it and people didnt understand him then he would become very dispondent
Old Aug 14th 2009, 11:25 am
¿Dónde estoy?

Yes I agree, I'm sure the grammer thing is what makes so many un-academic people give up.

If the goal is for them to get by at the shops then there is no need to teach the grammer

If the goal is to eventual speak fluent Spanish, grammer has to form the basis. There is no other way in Spanish as the subtleties between the conjugation of verbs make all the difference.
I want to know both - I'm still studying grammar for myself & would eventually like to take some 'official' exams

one day when I have time.........................
Old Aug 14th 2009, 11:27 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with lynnxa. The OP cant go around sayin Puedo yo tener... it makes absolutely no sense.

If he used it and people didnt understand him then he would become very dispondent
Wasn't that Spainrico's point. That you cant just translate English into Spanish as it often wont make sense
Old Aug 14th 2009, 11:29 am
Senior Moment

Now if you and me get into a discussion about the Spanish language ..... err .....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.