Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spanish language -common mistakes thread

Spanish language -common mistakes thread

Old Sep 25th 2014, 6:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spanish language -common mistakes thread

Originally Posted by cricketman
Things can be hot but people cannot, they "have heat"

So;

Tengo calor = I'm hot
Estoy caliente = I'm horny!

la piscina esta caliente = the pool is warm although I think most people would say "el agua esta caliente" the water is warm rather than the pool itself

hace un poco de frio = it's a bit cold. Or you can say "esta fresquito"
I'm sure you're right but how do you differentiate with a cup of coffee warm or hot? Templado seems to be a positive so what do you say when your coffee isn't hot enough?
Old Sep 25th 2014, 6:48 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Retired in Euskadi
If you know any French, then 'conocer' is the same as 'connaitre'. Saber is the same as 'savoir'.

Very simply, conocer is used when talking about knowing people.
Saber is used when you you know how to do something, eg play the piano, speak a language.
But I'm currently in England & so haven't got reference to my "Essentials of Spanish grammar" book!!
Not just people.
Old Sep 25th 2014, 8:23 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato
Not just people.
You are right it is not just people.

Conocer is to have familiarity with, or to be acquainted with a person, place or ideas whilst Saber is to have knowledge of, to possess a command of facts or a body of information.

I used to be paranoid because having a conversation with one of my neighbours was difficult due to her saying sabes every few words and I thought that she was overdoing her checking my understanding. However, I listened in on a few of her conversations with others and discovered that it is one of her little quirks so I relaxed more when talking with her.

Rosemary
Old Sep 26th 2014, 7:49 am
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosemary
You are right it is not just people.

Conocer is to have familiarity with, or to be acquainted with a person, place or ideas whilst Saber is to have knowledge of, to possess a command of facts or a body of information.

I used to be paranoid because having a conversation with one of my neighbours was difficult due to her saying sabes every few words and I thought that she was overdoing her checking my understanding. However, I listened in on a few of her conversations with others and discovered that it is one of her little quirks so I relaxed more when talking with her.

Rosemary
So, is ?sabes? just about interchangeable with ?entiendes? in that context Rosemary?
Oh my common mistake of using both question marks the 'right way up' is just lazy English keyboard use.
Old Sep 26th 2014, 7:58 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by angiescarr
So, is ?sabes? just about interchangeable with ?entiendes? in that context Rosemary?
Oh my common mistake of using both question marks the 'right way up' is just lazy English keyboard use.
No, it is the fact that she is in the habit of saying "you know" within everything that she says and initially I thought that entiendes and sabes were interchangeable due to that. I cannot think of other examples at the moment but there have been quite a few similar incidents over the years whereby I have been confused in this way. Before you say it, yes I am easily confused.

One good one was when a couple of my friends and I went to the casita for a meal with all of their families. Beforehand I was asked if there was any food that I particularly wanted to which I responded that anything was fine apart from shellfish as I am allergic. Initially they thought that I had said that I am allergic to everything except shellfish, gave us all a laugh.

Rosemary
Old Sep 26th 2014, 9:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure you're right but how do you differentiate with a cup of coffee warm or hot? Templado seems to be a positive so what do you say when your coffee isn't hot enough?
Warm and hot are English languae terms, as you know many things do not translate directly

If your coffee isnt hot enough then yes you would say "esta templado, no esta lo bastante caliente"
Old Sep 26th 2014, 9:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosemary
Yes although somewhat confusingly, conocimiento = knowledge while sabiduria = wisdom

Like anything, exposure to language solves all these problems. Stop listening to and speaking English for a couple of months and it will all fall into place
Old Sep 26th 2014, 9:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Warm and hot are English languae terms, as you know many things do not translate directly

If your coffee isnt hot enough then yes you would say "esta templado, no esta lo bastante caliente"
are you sure about the 'lo' here? Because if you are I've learned something new today and can you give me a couple more examples that use lo in this way?
Old Sep 26th 2014, 9:57 am
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

Or maybe they really are caliente

Old Sep 26th 2014, 10:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

are you sure about the 'lo' here? Because if you are I've learned something new today and can you give me a couple more examples that use lo in this way?
Yes. You can use "lo" in all kinds of ways. I think they call it the "indefinite article" although I am never 100% sure of the terminology. Some examples:

"Bastante" = quite
"Lo bastante" = enough

You can also use "lo" alongside "que" to mean "what"
"Es lo que querria" = That is what I wanted

And you can also use "lo" to mean "thing"
"Lo más importante" = The most important thing
"Lo que sí es importante es" = What is important is..
Old Sep 26th 2014, 12:52 pm

Yes although somewhat confusingly, conocimiento = knowledge while sabiduria = wisdom

Like anything, exposure to language solves all these problems. Stop listening to and speaking English for a couple of months and it will all fall into place
Totally agree with that. I do not know any English people and do not have English television. My previous comments are about experiences from a few years ago. All of the people in my town speak Valenciano as their first language so they have to switch to Spanish when talking with me.

Rosemary