British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Spanish language -common mistakes thread (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/spanish-language-common-mistakes-thread-843844/)

angiescarr Sep 24th 2014 8:25 pm

Spanish language -common mistakes thread

I don't think we have enough language threads.
Can anyone tell me the rules as to when you use conocer and when you use saber please?

For example Do you 'know' the word for .......?
Do you 'know' Gillian?
Did you 'know' that Gillian has chickenpox?
He 'knows' a lot about computers.
Could think of a thousand more and I'd be confused with all of them

cricketman Sep 24th 2014 8:36 pm

Re: Spanish language -common mistakes thread

To know somebody is always "conocer a" as is to have met somebody
To know a fact is "saber", but to have knowledge is "conocimiento"

Funnily enough ser and estar is probably the hardest thing about learning Spanish, and that is something you have to deal with straight away. The subjunctive is tricky too, but you get to know it through practice

Funnily enough my 2 year old started using the subjunctive straight away and never gets it wrong, so it must be logical! However, he always says "yo sabo" rather than "yo sé" which a mistake almost all Spanish 2 year olds do

angiescarr Sep 24th 2014 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by cricketman (Post 11417906)
To know somebody is always "conocer a" as is to have met somebody
To know a fact is "saber", but to have knowledge is "conocimiento"

Funnily enough ser and estar is probably the hardest thing about learning Spanish, and that is something you have to deal with straight away. The subjunctive is tricky too, but you get to know it through practice

Funnily enough my 2 year old started using the subjunctive straight away and never gets it wrong, so it must be logical! However, he always says "yo sabo" rather than "yo sé" which a mistake almost all Spanish 2 year olds do

Oh get your daughter to explain the subjunctive to us would you... I certainly need an idiots guide!

cricketman Sep 25th 2014 12:36 am

Originally Posted by angiescarr (Post 11417964)
Oh get your daughter to explain the subjunctive to us would you... I certainly need an idiots guide!

Well he doesnt know because it is completely intuitive if you are a native Spanish speaker

Basically you use the subjunctive if the action you are describing is imaginary and may or maybe not will take place. The exception is that you should not use the subjunctive when the preceeding verb is in the conditional.

I am sure that clears it up for you :p

jimenato Sep 25th 2014 12:40 am

How about - "Do you know Bar La Luna?"

Saber or Conocer?

cricketman Sep 25th 2014 12:48 am

Originally Posted by jimenato (Post 11418113)
How about - "Do you know Bar La Luna?"

Saber or Conocer?

?Conoces a Bar La Luna?

pwwm Sep 25th 2014 1:06 am

We hear very often Brits saying they are "caliente" if I know them I explain it is "calor":rofl:

cricketman Sep 25th 2014 1:13 am

Originally Posted by pwwm (Post 11418139)
We hear very often Brits saying they are "caliente" if I know them I explain it is "calor":rofl:

Or maybe they really are caliente :rofl:

chopera Sep 25th 2014 1:29 am

Originally Posted by angiescarr (Post 11417964)

This is the best rule I've heard for using the subjunctive (it doesn't cover all cases):

You use the subjunctive when you don't want to make a declaration

There's an underlying difference between Spanish and English in that if you use the indicative in Spanish you are declaring or emphasising something as being factual or real. Unless you want to do that, you should generally use the subjunctive the whole time. This is what catches people out when learning Spanish - they are taught the indicative first and then the subjunctive, and then they try to work out when to use the subjunctive, when really it should be the other way round.

Kath Las Colinas Sep 25th 2014 1:40 am

One of the (many) things that confuses me is whether to use ser or estar as an auxiliary verb eg I was sitting in the square when ...

Kath

cricketman Sep 25th 2014 1:51 am

Originally Posted by Kath Las Colinas (Post 11418182)
One of the (many) things that confuses me is whether to use ser or estar as an auxiliary verb eg I was sitting in the square when ...

Kath

In that context always estar

Generally estar is for temporary states and ser is for permanent states.

Basically if you know just 3 verbs, ser, estar and tener and can say the five vocal sounds then you are ready to go and talk to people!

You may not understand when they talk back to you though ;)

angiescarr Sep 25th 2014 2:57 am

Originally Posted by pwwm (Post 11418139)

That's a good one How do you say this swimming pool is warm. Or it's a bit cool today?
I know Calor and caliente and frio and templado. But where are the a bit warm.. or a bit cold words?

cricketman Sep 25th 2014 3:50 am

Originally Posted by angiescarr (Post 11418295)
That's a good one How do you say this swimming pool is warm. Or it's a bit cool today?
I know Calor and caliente and frio and templado. But where are the a bit warm.. or a bit cold words?

Things can be hot but people cannot, they "have heat"

So;

Tengo calor = I'm hot
Estoy caliente = I'm horny!

la piscina esta caliente = the pool is warm although I think most people would say "el agua esta caliente" the water is warm rather than the pool itself

hace un poco de frio = it's a bit cold. Or you can say "esta fresquito"

Retired in Euskadi Sep 25th 2014 4:25 am

Originally Posted by angiescarr (Post 11417900)
I don't think we have enough language threads.
Can anyone tell me the rules as to when you use conocer and when you use saber please?

For example Do you 'know' the word for .......?
Do you 'know' Gillian?
Did you 'know' that Gillian has chickenpox?
He 'knows' a lot about computers.
Could think of a thousand more and I'd be confused with all of them

If you know any French, then 'conocer' is the same as 'connaitre'. Saber is the same as 'savoir'.

Very simply, conocer is used when talking about knowing people.
Saber is used when you you know how to do something, eg play the piano, speak a language.
But I'm currently in England & so haven't got reference to my "Essentials of Spanish grammar" book!!

stuboy Sep 25th 2014 4:48 am

I was taught that if you can substitute 'know' for 'be familiar with' then use conocer.

Do you know Madrid -Conocer.

I know Madrid is in Spain - Saber