Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

spanish healthcare system help!

spanish healthcare system help!

Old Mar 20th 2006, 9:00 pm
Just Joined

Amelie1477 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question spanish healthcare system help!

hey there,
My Fiancee and I are planning on moving out to spain in august.I'm really and totaly confused on the healthcare system out there!
My Fiancee is spanish, and therefore won't have a problem, becuase he'll be going straight into work, i will be applying for residencia but i won't be working until i know some spanish and depending on the family situation.
does this mean i won't qualify for free healthcare?
just to complicate matters further, we're trying for a baby, and so if i have to get private healthcare, am i going to be able to find cover if i'm already pregnant?
if anyone can give me any information at all it would be greatly appreciated! i'm so confused about it all!!
Ams xx
Old Mar 20th 2006, 9:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: spanish healthcare system help!

Hi Amelie

I have sent you a pm

regards
pwwm
Old Mar 21st 2006, 1:42 am
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

i´m not sure that you will be covered because you are not married ? you will probably have to go "private" until you are working and paying "stamp" into the spanish system?

perhaps with the new e111 cards there is a difference and that is sufficient, i´m not quite sure, obviously i´ve not been in this situation
Old Mar 21st 2006, 12:59 pm
Forum Regular

j0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant future

[Im not to sure either if you will get nhs through your partner working.

However, I have Asisa private health care. Once your policy has been inforce for 10 months then you are covered.

So if you are already pregnant then you wont be covered. If you get pregnant once you have had the insurance for say 4 months then you may be covered for the end of your pregancy.

I think with Sanitas you can pay extra to be covered.

Hope this helps

Jo
Old Mar 21st 2006, 2:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Unexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really nice

Originally Posted by Amelie1477
hey there,
My Fiancee and I are planning on moving out to spain in august.I'm really and totaly confused on the healthcare system out there!
My Fiancee is spanish, and therefore won't have a problem, becuase he'll be going straight into work, i will be applying for residencia but i won't be working until i know some spanish and depending on the family situation.
does this mean i won't qualify for free healthcare?
just to complicate matters further, we're trying for a baby, and so if i have to get private healthcare, am i going to be able to find cover if i'm already pregnant?
if anyone can give me any information at all it would be greatly appreciated! i'm so confused about it all!!
Ams xx
In Spain unmarried partners have far less rights than those that are married. Honestly, best advice would be to tie the knot

That having been said, if you can be declared as a dependant of your fiance, then you'd be covered under his contributions.

In any case, pregnant woman and their unborn children are covered for emergency treatment only, by law, for whatever reason, or time, they are in Spain.

You should not have any problem getting private health care insurance, even if you are pregnant, unless you have a history of medical problems that may be pertinent for "the event". You will obviously have to reveal that you are pregnant (assuming you are) and they may charge a premium for this.

Obviously, if you are expecting problems, then emergency care alone, will be unsatisfactory. Either get married, take out private health care, or get yourself declared as a dependant of your (working) other half You may have to jump through some hoops to effect the latter option.

Last edited by Unexpat; Mar 21st 2006 at 2:30 pm.
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 1:40 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Unexpat
In Spain unmarried partners have far less rights than those that are married. Honestly, best advice would be to tie the knot

That having been said, if you can be declared as a dependant of your fiance, then you'd be covered under his contributions.

In any case, pregnant woman and their unborn children are covered for emergency treatment only, by law, for whatever reason, or time, they are in Spain.

You should not have any problem getting private health care insurance, even if you are pregnant, unless you have a history of medical problems that may be pertinent for "the event". You will obviously have to reveal that you are pregnant (assuming you are) and they may charge a premium for this.

Obviously, if you are expecting problems, then emergency care alone, will be unsatisfactory. Either get married, take out private health care, or get yourself declared as a dependant of your (working) other half You may have to jump through some hoops to effect the latter option.

I wasn't sure it was possible to be a dependant if we weren't married? it would be amazingly handy if i could...
I'd really like to get married it'd make life so much easier... but i want it to be a proper wedding rather than a 'quick lets pay £30 and get it done at the registry office' kind of wedding LOL
I'm not expecting any problems, but its better to be safe than sorry and i just won't be taking any risks when it comes to healthcare and stuff...
but at the end of the day it will be okay as long as the health insurance will take me on if i'm pregnant
thank you so much for putting my mind at rest!!
Ams xx
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 2:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

If you were working in the UK and paying N.I, apply for your E106 and you will be covered for up to two years.
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 4:24 pm
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute

You don't say what nationality you are. If you are British and have been paying NI in the UK up until you leave you will get up to 2 years' health cover in Spain using E106.
http://www.dwp.gov.uk/international/sa29/medical_06.asp
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 8:30 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Hillybilly
You don't say what nationality you are. If you are British and have been paying NI in the UK up until you leave you will get up to 2 years' health cover in Spain using E106.
http://www.dwp.gov.uk/international/sa29/medical_06.asp
I'm British, but currently a student so havent worked for two years (or ever really..!) so no E106 form for me!
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 7:13 am
Not Junior but not Senior

poollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Amelie1477
I'm British, but currently a student so havent worked for two years (or ever really..!) so no E106 form for me!
If you are registered with the British system, ie have a NHS or NI number...if you have ever held a part time job or or such, apply for the new EHIC card...you can do it online. This will cover you at least for the first few months until you sort out your plans.