Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Empadronamiento

Empadronamiento

Old Mar 15th 2006, 5:44 pm
Forum Regular

maryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nice
Question Empadronamiento

Hi,
Can anyone tell me what we need to take to the ayuntamiento, in order to register for the Empadronamiento?
Will we need our escuitura?
Once we get registered will be able to get a post office box?
Oh for the day when I can turn to someone and say..."I can help you with that, we've been through it..." Thing is, if you don't ask, you don't get!
Mary

(hubby texted earlier to say he's sitting under the olive tree, 24 degrees, and having another beer before siesta......I'm here freezing cold clearing clutter and painting the kitchen...something not right somewhere )
Old Mar 16th 2006, 6:31 am
Experience 5* rating

Costa-Convert has a brilliant futureCosta-Convert has a brilliant futureCosta-Convert has a brilliant futureCosta-Convert has a brilliant futureCosta-Convert has a brilliant futureCosta-Convert has a brilliant future
Default Re: Empadronamiento

Originally Posted by maryg
Hi,
Can anyone tell me what we need to take to the ayuntamiento, in order to register for the Empadronamiento?
Oh for the day when I can turn to someone and say..."I can help you with that, we've been through it..." Thing is, if you don't ask, you don't get!
Mary

(hubby texted earlier to say he's sitting under the olive tree, 24 degrees, and having another beer before siesta......I'm here freezing cold clearing clutter and painting the kitchen...something not right somewhere )
Hi Mary

Can't help with the Empadronamiento but you at home painting the kitchen whilst he is preparing for a siesta definitely does not sound right, should be the other way round. Glad to here the weather is improving over there going myself in 10 days for a month.
Old Mar 16th 2006, 6:56 am
Forum Regular

maryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nice

Originally Posted by Costa-Convert
Hi Mary

Can't help with the Empadronamiento but you at home painting the kitchen whilst he is preparing for a siesta definitely does not sound right, should be the other way round. Glad to here the weather is improving over there going myself in 10 days for a month.
Don't fret! I'll get my own back....we're going over in April and taking our 2 year grandaughter....He won't have time for siestas! In the meantime it's back to the painting (got a bottle of wine in the fridge for later )
Mary
Old Mar 16th 2006, 12:35 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Don't fret! I'll get my own back....we're going over in April and taking our 2 year grandaughter....He won't have time for siestas! In the meantime it's back to the painting (got a bottle of wine in the fridge for later )
Mary

You need to take proof of address (so escritura), passports, they might ask for NIE numbers, and a couple of photocopies of each

from what I remember that was all we needed

as for post box, I'm afraid someone else will have to help you there, though I'm pretty sure you have to go to the Correo
Old Mar 16th 2006, 12:54 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Lynnxa, I assumed we would need the escuitura as proof but the nearest bit on there to an address is: 'a piece of land on the pavement of the walkway'...'in the garden of Moratalla' Thats the translation I got anyway! Our road, although having just been tarmacced by the local council, doesn't have a name.
I'm thinking that once registered at the town hall, we can go to the correo and sort out mail provisions.....(then the utility people can send me bills, and probably get a bill for the tarmac!)
Mary
Old Mar 16th 2006, 1:02 pm
Forum Regular

Arco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=maryg]Hi,

QUOTE; Once we get registered will be able to get a post office box?
Mary QUOTE.

Hi Mary. It depends where you're living as to whether you get your post delivered or not to your house. For example, we are near Chiclana but classified as in the campo and have rented a post office box at La Barrosa. (90 euros p.a.) We have another box we bought at the local bar for 30 euros. In both cases we were given keys to the boxes. We tried to switch to the Chiclana post office but there was a waiting list of 2 years.

In all cases all we needed was proof of identity. Some bars (Ventas) don't even ask for that but, then, they don't provide boxes either - it's a free for all to sort your post!
Old Mar 16th 2006, 1:24 pm
Forum Regular

PaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nice
Smile Re: Empadronamiento

Hi sorry to sound thick but was is a Empadronamiento, we have a place in the campo, when we bought i set about fixing one of those fancy post boxes to the wall by the front door, my old spanish neighbour watching intently. I must point out that we had only had the place a couple of days and had not ventured to the nearest village Correo. Upon completion of the post box he proceded to say "no". Meaning that the local post was'nt delivered here, typical, looks nice though. We get our post for water, electric etc from a tiny sub post office located in a local village indoor market, opening times, well when he's there. Upon pointing to my NIE with its address and asking "puede entregar aqui" i got a little wry smile and a definate NO.

Well im sat here in my office looking at the freezing weather outside counting the days till Santa Semana in April when i can see and feel some sun.

Paul.
Old Mar 16th 2006, 1:58 pm
Forum Regular

j0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant future

Its quite a long time since I got mine but think I took a copy of NIE original and escritura. This piece of paper seems to be so important. Having it has saved us alot of time as we are still waiting for our residencia card.

Good luck
Old Mar 16th 2006, 2:01 pm
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PaulLes
Hi sorry to sound thick but was is a Empadronamiento,
Paul.
The empadronamiento is the local census or electoral register of who lives in a town. You need to enter yourself on the padrón at your town hall (you get a certificate in return!) so that they know who's living where and so that your council can receive € for having an extra person living there! The € pays for your town's services so you benefit. It costs nothing to register.
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 6:53 pm
Forum Regular

PaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nice

Originally Posted by Hillybilly
The empadronamiento is the local census or electoral register of who lives in a town. You need to enter yourself on the padrón at your town hall (you get a certificate in return!) so that they know who's living where and so that your council can receive € for having an extra person living there! The € pays for your town's services so you benefit. It costs nothing to register.
Hi Hillbilly,

We have had our place since June 2005, the yearly rates on the property were paid until Jan 2006 by the previous owners. We have had notification from the land registry of change of ownership into our names a while back. We have all our utility bills paid by direct debit from our Spanish account.

We were expecting our yearly rates bill to be with our post on our February visit, but they were'nt.

With regards to the earlier comments on this thread, as a non perminant resident on an NIE do we need to register with our local town hall to recieve our rates bill or is this done via the land registry, thanks in advance.

Paul and Les
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 8:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Unexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really nice

Hi,
Mary
You need your Passport, or a N.I.E. They wouldn't do it for us with the original stamped letter showing our N.I.E. saying that they wanted the card, although I am uncertain as to whether they actually issue a card. However, they were quite happy to do it with our passports.

Again, they want an address within the district that you are registering, so proof of address is all that is required here. Any form of bill or official paperwork showing your name and the address of your Spanish abode does the trick here. No need for an escritura, since you might well be renting.

Finally, a piece of advice (in general). If you don't get what you want from officials when applying for things, it's always worth trying to argue your case rather than take the first answer and walk away. Always respectfully, of course, and without losing your temper, but firmly. If your argument makes sense you can often cut through some red tape. Many people seem to think that the Spanish lose their tempers easily, because they perceive them to be shouting a lot. This is not actually the case, most of the time. Yes, they are often loud, but in general they strive to remain polite and keep their tempers. They just like to be heard and make their point, even if they get nothing else out of it.