Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spanish or English t.v

Spanish or English t.v

Old Nov 14th 2005, 3:29 pm

Pam Sarky is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Spanish or English t.v

Our English tv has just gone kaput!!! I`ve had the repair man out and its the tubes. I`ve been told its very expensive to repair it. We are taking our English dvd, video and sky box to Spain, so I need to know if they will work ok with a Spainish tv or should we buy another English tv to take over with us? If we buy Spanish, do we need to have any special cables or adaptors?

Any help would be much appreciated,

Regards Sam
Old Nov 14th 2005, 3:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Carol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spanish or English t.v

Originally Posted by sam parky
Our English tv has just gone kaput!!! I`ve had the repair man out and its the tubes. I`ve been told its very expensive to repair it. We are taking our English dvd, video and sky box to Spain, so I need to know if they will work ok with a Spainish tv or should we buy another English tv to take over with us? If we buy Spanish, do we need to have any special cables or adaptors?

Any help would be much appreciated,

Regards Sam

Hi Sam
Hard luck! Perhaps you already have tried "search this forum" with the advanced search keywords "spanish tv and video recorders"? There are 5 threads listed, maybe more with a different keyword.
All the best with the move! Keep in touch!
Regards,
Carol
Old Nov 14th 2005, 3:50 pm
Forum Regular

countryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the rough

Our English tv has just gone kaput!!! I`ve had the repair man out and its the tubes. I`ve been told its very expensive to repair it. We are taking our English dvd, video and sky box to Spain, so I need to know if they will work ok with a Spainish tv or should we buy another English tv to take over with us? If we buy Spanish, do we need to have any special cables or adaptors? Any help would be much appreciated,
Regards Sam
Hello Sam,

Sorry to hear about your TV going "Bang" I woould advise you to buy a TV over here in Spain, your UK equipment should fit into the Spanish TV system with no Problems, you will find that the Scart plugs are the same as in the UK but you will have to get a bigger Sat dish if you are moving inland, I belive you can get a good sat pic near the coast, but I am sure there are more teccis on these forums that will help you.

Good Luck
David SR
Old Nov 14th 2005, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by countryboy
Hello Sam,

Sorry to hear about your TV going "Bang" I woould advise you to buy a TV over here in Spain, your UK equipment should fit into the Spanish TV system with no Problems, you will find that the Scart plugs are the same as in the UK but you will have to get a bigger Sat dish if you are moving inland, I belive you can get a good sat pic near the coast, but I am sure there are more teccis on these forums that will help you.

Good Luck
David SR
Hi David,

Thanks for the advice. I`m not very good when it comes to electrical things. I`m dreading putting the computer together over there (I think there will be another thread coming soon lol). I have read other threads on tv`s etc but to be honest they just blind me with science! Just one more question. Whats the best make of tv to get in Spain? Please dont say Sanyo, thats the one thats just gone "bang" on us (I think it new I`m a celebrity get me out of here was due to start soon).

Thanks again for your help, Sam
Old Nov 14th 2005, 5:19 pm
Forum Regular

svenskidoo is an unknown quantity at this point

Your dvd, video etc will work fine. No expensive cables or adaptors needed.

Tvs... all the usual brands are here, maybe not the same choice you'd get in Currys , but look around. The big hypermarkets have their own brands which are cheap and usually reliable such as "Firstline", "Bluesky" and "Basic Line" - the last one must be high tech and cutting edge ?!

Satellite tv, you will need a new dish. Exact size will depend on where in Spain you are moving to. If you plan to continue using Sky, then make sure you keep your subscription current whilst you move.
Old Nov 14th 2005, 5:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Spanish or English t.v

Hi Sam,

There are some good threads on this with links to other sites where there are some real experts so perhaps you ought to get Benny to read a selection.

From what I've read ,if you take an English TV and hook it up to an aerial you can get picture but not sound (everyone agrees Spanish TV is so dire that this is for the best) so you have to start doing clever things. The easiest being to use your UK kit via a Spanish video recorder.

The next step up is to go Uk TV thro sky and then everything English works just like back home off the Sky box. But don't take the latest Plasma TV because they don't like long journeys in bumpy vans.

My solution is this I am going to swallow my pride and give in to Murdoch with a Sky +(80 hrs) box linked to a 37" LCD flat panel screen with my Sony video recorder for back up. In the bedroom I am going to use existing kit with a digital free to air box with a feed from the big Sky dish with dual transponders. This could take forever to explain so we should do it over several pints for the men and whatever the girls fancy.

We have re-arranged our first 2006 trip and cancelled the 10 days in Jan and re booked for 30th Jan to 9th Feb so we could discuss it on your terrace (yes! it is that close for you).

See you over there,

John.

Hi David,

Thanks for the advice. I`m not very good when it comes to electrical things. I`m dreading putting the computer together over there (I think there will be another thread coming soon lol). I have read other threads on tv`s etc but to be honest they just blind me with science! Just one more question. Whats the best make of tv to get in Spain? Please dont say Sanyo, thats the one thats just gone "bang" on us (I think it new I`m a celebrity get me out of here was due to start soon).

Thanks again for your help, Sam
Old Nov 14th 2005, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by John & Kath
Hi Sam,

There are some good threads on this with links to other sites where there are some real experts so perhaps you ought to get Benny to read a selection.

From what I've read ,if you take an English TV and hook it up to an aerial you can get picture but not sound (everyone agrees Spanish TV is so dire that this is for the best) so you have to start doing clever things. The easiest being to use your UK kit via a Spanish video recorder.

The next step up is to go Uk TV thro sky and then everything English works just like back home off the Sky box. But don't take the latest Plasma TV because they don't like long journeys in bumpy vans.

My solution is this I am going to swallow my pride and give in to Murdoch with a Sky +(80 hrs) box linked to a 37" LCD flat panel screen with my Sony video recorder for back up. In the bedroom I am going to use existing kit with a digital free to air box with a feed from the big Sky dish with dual transponders. This could take forever to explain so we should do it over several pints for the men and whatever the girls fancy.

We have re-arranged our first 2006 trip and cancelled the 10 days in Jan and re booked for 30th Jan to 9th Feb so we could discuss it on your terrace (yes! it is that close for you).

See you over there,

John.
John, Its that close, can you believe the removal firm turned up at our house today 4 weeks early!!! I had a massive reality check.
Anyway back to tv`s. You have totally confused me with all the hi tech words. So I made an executive decision while eating my dinner. I think it would only be right to let someone who knows what they are doing put it all together for us (Benny doesn`t have a clue either), and I dont want you to get bored sitting on all those roof terraces drinking sangria so you`ve got yourself a little job. Only joking, but I will probably need to pick your brains as I`m struggling to put it together.

See you soon, Sam
Old Nov 14th 2005, 5:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Spanish or English t.v

Hi Sam,

That's the best laugh I've had for a week. Four weeks early even Kath with her diary, wall planner and post it notes would not have been ready for that one! Did you tell them to call back next week?

Regards,

John.

John, Its that close, can you believe the removal firm turned up at our house today 4 weeks early!!! I had a massive reality check.
Anyway back to tv`s. You have totally confused me with all the hi tech words. So I made an executive decision while eating my dinner. I think it would only be right to let someone who knows what they are doing put it all together for us (Benny doesn`t have a clue either), and I dont want you to get bored sitting on all those roof terraces drinking sangria so you`ve got yourself a little job. Only joking, but I will probably need to pick your brains as I`m struggling to put it together.

See you soon, Sam
Old Nov 14th 2005, 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by John & Kath
Hi Sam,

That's the best laugh I've had for a week. Four weeks early even Kath with her diary, wall planner and post it notes would not have been ready for that one! Did you tell them to call back next week?

Regards,

John.
Back when I booked our flights I phoned the removal company and told them we were flying on 14th Dec and can they pick our furniture up Monday 12th Dec (its going in storage). They must have got mixed up somewhere along the line and put Monday 14th Nov for the removal into their diary I have to say I bet my face was an absolute picture!!! :scared:

Sam
Old Nov 14th 2005, 7:32 pm
Forum Regular

coralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nice

Back when I booked our flights I phoned the removal company and told them we were flying on 14th Dec and can they pick our furniture up Monday 12th Dec (its going in storage). They must have got mixed up somewhere along the line and put Monday 14th Nov for the removal into their diary I have to say I bet my face was an absolute picture!!! :scared:

Sam
Treat yourself to a cheap telly in the UK to last until it all gets packed up to come over. It can do as a spare or extra room TV when you get to Spain. Look around when you get to Spain to buy your chosen kit locally.

Some sites to check availability before you arrive:
http://www.areapc.com/Imagen_Sonido_4008_pc.html
http://www.elcorteingles.es/tiendas_e/cda/mt/tv_mt/0,5415,PD8671!ECI,FF.html
http://www.pccomponentes.com/TELEVIS...A_LCD_TFT.html
http://www.alternate.es/html/shop/pr...onvencionales&
Old Nov 15th 2005, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by coralsoft
Treat yourself to a cheap telly in the UK to last until it all gets packed up to come over. It can do as a spare or extra room TV when you get to Spain. Look around when you get to Spain to buy your chosen kit locally.

Some sites to check availability before you arrive:
http://www.areapc.com/Imagen_Sonido_4008_pc.html
http://www.elcorteingles.es/tiendas_e/cda/mt/tv_mt/0,5415,PD8671!ECI,FF.html
http://www.pccomponentes.com/TELEVIS...A_LCD_TFT.html
http://www.alternate.es/html/shop/pr...onvencionales&
Thanks for the reply, Coralsoft. I had a look at the websites and was quite pleased with the prices. It also gave me a Spanish lesson translating. So we will now be buying a TV in Spain.

Regards Sam
Old Nov 15th 2005, 3:55 pm
Forum Regular

countryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for the reply, Coralsoft. I had a look at the websites and was quite pleased with the prices. It also gave me a Spanish lesson translating. So we will now be buying a TV in Spain.

Regards Sam
What part of Spain are you heading to Sam? you never know we might meet up for a beer or several I do love the beer here, its soooooo ccccchhhheeeeeeppppp lol