Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spanish education v British education

Spanish education v British education

Old Feb 26th 2009, 1:11 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spanish education v British education

Originally Posted by jdr
You seem to think so, slagging off the Spanish system and all the schools here and saying how wonderful your school is cos they have one computer to two children and Spanish schools use chalk, get real.
But as you pointed out, everyone is entitled to an opinion
Old Feb 26th 2009, 1:25 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
But as you pointed out, everyone is entitled to an opinion
An opinion, yeah fair enough, but come on, giving that sort of impression of schools in Spain will maybe frighten potential movers off.
Do you know any schools in Spain that are as he says, cos I sure don`t ?
Old Feb 26th 2009, 2:30 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
An opinion, yeah fair enough, but come on, giving that sort of impression of schools in Spain will maybe frighten potential movers off.
Do you know any schools in Spain that are as he says, cos I sure don`t ?
I cant have an opinion mate as I dont have kids here
I have heard some horror stories, mainly to do with bullying and non acceptance, but then thats no different than in the UK
Old Feb 26th 2009, 2:53 am
Family man

CBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud of

I have heard some horror stories, mainly to do with bullying and non acceptance, but then thats no different than in the UK
I have heard of that as well. I think (in my own humble opinion) that it mainly applies to people who have brought older kids from the uk ie. 10 or over as it takes them a lot longer to intigrate (if ever).
Old Feb 26th 2009, 3:02 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

That is what I am saying, you can`t make sweeping statements about schools here or in the UK, everyone is different and every kid is different in them.
I was schooled in the 50`s and 60`s mainly in the roughest parts of London with blackboard and chalk and it didn`t stop me getting edumakated.
Running my own business for 30 odd years and retiring early to the sunshine and rain in Spain. lol
Old Feb 26th 2009, 3:59 am
Welsh Ambassador to Spain

Fortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jojojojojojojojojojojojo
totally off topic, I thought I´d mention that I have a couple of friends who live in France and have done for a good few years, they´ve totally intergrated and love it there, but every now and again they miss "britishness". Now niether of them want to go back to the UK to even visit, so what they do is visit me and drive down to Benalmadena and they absolutely love the british culture down there, footie on the TVs, quiz nites, fish n chips, sunday roastss, newspapers......... Its actually nothing to be ashamed of, and immigrants have been doing it for 100s of years. Moving to another country and setting up home as they know it, time dilutes it and eventually the cultures become one - look at the arabs in Spain in the 8th century for example!

Jo x

Where to start????!!!!

So - let me get this straight. Your friends, settled in France, who miss all things British, when they need a quick fix of 'Britishness' they choose Benalmadena???!!!!! That has to be one of the funniest things I've heard in a long time and I feel proves my point.

The Arabs were in Spain from the 8th Century to the 15th FFS!!!!!!! Almost 800 years they were here!!!! So, yes of course there are influences, through architecture, political systems, language and much more. But if you really think that this truly ugly Brit invasion will mean that the Spanish will suddenly develop a craving for Yorkshire Pud, an insatiable, self-deluding sense of superiority and develop a desire to play cricket then I think you are maybe aiming a little high!

This has made my day!!!!
Old Feb 26th 2009, 4:51 am
Forum Regular

jdunbavin is a name known to alljdunbavin is a name known to alljdunbavin is a name known to alljdunbavin is a name known to alljdunbavin is a name known to alljdunbavin is a name known to alljdunbavin is a name known to alljdunbavin is a name known to alljdunbavin is a name known to alljdunbavin is a name known to alljdunbavin is a name known to all

My husband is Spanish and he would love to play cricket. Trouble there?s no team!!!!! Not sure we would like the rest of the British Culture though.
Old Feb 26th 2009, 4:58 am
Banned

jojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fortaleza

Where to start????!!!!

So - let me get this straight. Your friends, settled in France, who miss all things British, when they need a quick fix of 'Britishness' they choose Benalmadena???!!!!! That has to be one of the funniest things I've heard in a long time and I feel proves my point.

The Arabs were in Spain from the 8th Century to the 15th FFS!!!!!!! Almost 800 years they were here!!!! So, yes of course there are influences, through architecture, political systems, language and much more. But if you really think that this truly ugly Brit invasion will mean that the Spanish will suddenly develop a craving for Yorkshire Pud, an insatiable, self-deluding sense of superiority and develop a desire to play cricket then I think you are maybe aiming a little high!

This has made my day!!!!

I´m not saying its right or wrong, good or bad, superior or inferior. Its just an observation, my point is that it happens everywhere and has throughout history - think about it, the Romans, the Greeks, willliam the conquerer, Jews, Polish, america, australia, india, south africa.... Indian restaurants (my favourite)LOL. Its all a mixing pot, they´ve alll left their mark! I used to think it was a cheek that Brits could march into countries and think they could bring their tacky lives with them, but it has always happened and eventually the bad from both cultures gets dropped and the good kept - it takes a generation or two tho!!

Yes my friends are funny to go to Banalmadena, it was they who changed my thinking on it all. I was quite horrified when they first came to stay, but then I thought what the heck??? If you think about it why shouldnt they, they have a good life, worked hard, no money worries and they´re lovely people who choose to live and spend their money in France, but miss their yorkshire pud and dont like the UK....Out of interest he used to be quite a famous record producer in the 80s....... maybe thats why he´s weird LOL

Jo x

Last edited by jojojojojojojojojojojojo; Feb 26th 2009 at 5:09 am.
Old Feb 26th 2009, 5:00 am
Banned

livit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nice

they absolutely love the british culture down there, footie on the TVs, quiz nites, fish n chips, sunday roastss, newspapers.........
Absolutely.

We seem to forget that other cultures have made the UK a Multi cultural society, havent you seen Mosques in both the UK and Spain

Its not a British trait to move to a country and bring the culture too.

Most nationalities do, and accept it.

Which is why I`m sat in my home in Wales and within 10 feet of me I have a Spanish Jamon leg in the kitchen, bought from a UK supplier in the UK.

And my local Morrisons sells Chorizo.
Old Feb 26th 2009, 5:08 am
Banned

jojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

I´ve actually heard that in a lot of cases its the British kids that are bullying other British kids. I know of a girl who flatly refuses to go back to her Spanish state school cos she was being bulllied...... by British kids!!! Butas you say you hear all sorts of stories in both countries

Jo x
Old Feb 26th 2009, 5:09 am
Banned

livit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nice

(SNIP)

Since CBANDY is trying to make a difficult choice, its helpful if the thread could be discussed by people who

A) Have children.
B) Used Spanish Schools.
C) Moved back to the UK.
D) Put children into a UK school from Spain.

Last edited by Mitzyboy; Feb 26th 2009 at 7:08 am. Reason: No need for personal comments :-)
Old Feb 26th 2009, 6:44 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by livit
As for JDR comments.

Well its pretty obvious to most humans with a moderate level of intelligence that you cannot enter every school in both the UK and Spain and compare them.

Sorry JDR, but you kinda point out the obvious

But if you use JDR`s reasoning, you may as well shut this site down and not discuss anything, as nothing can be proved.

Since CBANDY is trying to make a difficult choice, its helpful if the thread could be discussed by people who

A) Have children.
B) Used Spanish Schools.
C) Moved back to the UK.
D) Put children into a UK school from Spain.
(SNIP)

I or anyone else is as entitled to post on here as much as you.

I have children that were schooled in the UK as was myself and my wife.

I have grandchildren that have been schooled in Spain.

I have not moved back to UK and don`t think I ever will.

So no need to put children into a UK school.

Last edited by Mitzyboy; Feb 26th 2009 at 7:09 am. Reason: Keeping the peace :-)
Old Feb 26th 2009, 6:48 am
Banned

Originally Posted by jdr
Quote removed, which makes this post look a little strange, sorry

Gosh, what an offensive post, Have you not learned any manners?!! As I said earlier, I was told this forum is firey, rude wasnt mentioned tho! Its certainly not a nice place to be or to have a civilised conversation with this sort of attitude going on!

Jo

Last edited by Mitzyboy; Feb 26th 2009 at 7:10 am.
Old Feb 26th 2009, 6:50 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Gosh, what an offensive post, Have you not learned any manners?!! As I said earlier, I was told this forum is firey, rude wasnt mentioned tho! Its certainly not a nice place to be or to have a civilised conversation with this sort of attitude going on!

Jo
Did his post to me just go over your head then ?
Old Feb 26th 2009, 8:56 am
Banned

WOW.

The title of this discussion is Spanish Education v British Education.

My first post compared Spanish too British.

Yet to make a mild, slightly humorous comparison really seems to have touched a nerve with someone`s view of the country they live.

Well to take this back to topic :

This is for CBANDY, as he is seeking to answer some questions.

For us when we returned the many problem for our children was spelling, its taken a lot of time changing the way they use sounds to spell.

They are both bilingual, my eldest being able to converse in three languages, if you include Catalan as a sperate language.

As an example she would write

GREAT as GREIT
WILL as WIL
SEE HIM as SIEM
GOOD BYE as GOD BAY
HELLO as HELOU
GAVE as GEIVE
TRY as TRAI

Its taken a lot of work to correct, the school teachers have been very patient and understanding.

My move to the UK was a work issue, not a I hate Spain issue, if It wasn`t I wouldn`t have returned my children back at that age.

Its been hard on them as they have had to live with class mates seeing the difference in writing ability, which has put stress on them.

That stress may or may not influence their progress, personality in life, time will tell whether the return will affect them.

Hopefully they`ll grow up richer for the experiences they`ve had. And not become over sensitive, self opinionated, arrogant, intellectual stunted members of society.

Last edited by livit; Feb 26th 2009 at 9:01 am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.