Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spanish driving licence renewal

Spanish driving licence renewal

Old Dec 5th 2022, 3:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spanish driving licence renewal

Originally Posted by spainrico
'Spain’s Directorate-General for Traffic (DGT) plans to reduce the validity period of the driving licence of drivers over the age of 65 years.

Currently, until the age of 65, driving licences are renewed every ten years. Once a driver reaches 65 years of age, licences need to be renewed every five years, every two years from the age of 70.

If the DGT’s plans, that are currently under consideration go ahead, these age groups will be required to renew their licences more frequently.

Drivers over the age of 70 years who are renewing their licence will be exempt from payment, however, they will still have to pay for the cost of their medical examination.' .........

https://www.healthplanspain.com/blog...ore-often.html
So it's pending change then so Rosemary got hers renewed at the right time.
Old Jan 16th 2023, 12:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

Update: from UK Embassy Madrid -

'Driving Licence Negotiations -
We wanted to let you know what has happened on the driving licence negotiations since the ambassador’s video before Christmas. Work continued over the holidays and we are pleased to tell you that the legal checks have now been completed on both sides and the final processes required for an international treaty are now underway. The Agreement will go forward to the Consejo de Ministros for approval – these meetings take place each week and, while we have no control over the scheduling, we hope it will be tabled very soon. There will then be a formal exchange of notes and the Agreement will apply once it is published in the BOE (state bulletin). We will keep you informed as things progress.
Ahead of that, we recommend you get your psicotécnico test in place, as you will need a certificate showing you have passed the test in order to exchange your licence. Certificates are valid for three months and if you fail it you can retake as many times as you need. If you haven’t done it before, the psicotécnico is a short test to check your eyesight and reactions. You may also have a brief interview with a doctor. These are the official locations listed by the DGT'

https://www.dgt.es/conoce-la-dgt/con...o-conductores/

Old Jan 17th 2023, 8:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Ronnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Does this mean that all uk licence holders can exchange ( in future) or is it only for those already resident here and only for a limited period?
Old Jan 17th 2023, 8:46 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

If the negotiations are successful it will mean we go back to where we were pre-Brexit - ie All UK persons when they become residents in Spain will be able (and must by law) exchange their UK DL for a Spanish DL without the need to take a driving test.
Old Dec 21st 2023, 11:22 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

An update on this.

I renewed my licence last month. I am now 80 and, just to confuse the issue, the new licence is valid for 3 years.

It took 6 weeks to arrive but my licence on the DGT app was updated 5 days after the medical.
Old Dec 21st 2023, 1:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

I really thought after 70 it was only 2 years? So what magic did you work?
Old Dec 21st 2023, 2:05 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
An update on this.

I renewed my licence last month. I am now 80 and, just to confuse the issue, the new licence is valid for 3 years.

It took 6 weeks to arrive but my licence on the DGT app was updated 5 days after the medical.
It seems (according to the DGT website) that the law/rules changed recently (in the last couple of months). Now, over 65's have to renew every 5 years then, over 70's every 2 years. HOWEVER, it seems not many areas are implementing these changes for some reason.
Old Dec 21st 2023, 2:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
It seems (according to the DGT website) that the law/rules changed recently (in the last couple of months). Now, over 65's have to renew every 5 years then, over 70's every 2 years. HOWEVER, it seems not many areas are implementing these changes for some reason.
I have my renewal in a few months and was confused as I have read over 70 and it's every 2 years. However a friend's wife over 70 did hers recently and it was renewed for 5 years.
Old Dec 21st 2023, 4:17 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

It seems to be a complete lottery. Odd, bearing in mind they are connected to the DGT system to process the applications. The test centre can reduce the validity based on your medical conditions and the drugs you are taking, but they don't have access to your medical records so best to not offer any information that is not essential. They can insist on a doctors report for certain conditions such as having a defib pacemaker recently fitted (assuming you tell them). Since the only physical tests they do are the coordination computer test and your eyesight they are the only obvious failure points. They now seem to use a photo from the overall database. They did not take a photo this time and said that they would use the latest one on file. They used the one on my TIE. Basically, they get paid so little to do the procedure that they want you in and out as quickly as possible.

Last edited by Fred James; Dec 21st 2023 at 4:22 pm.
Old Dec 22nd 2023, 9:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
Same for a friend of mine, well over 70 expected 2 years but got 3.

Someone else I know over 80 got 5 years, go figure!
Old Dec 22nd 2023, 9:15 am
BE Forum Addict

I have been to the DGT to figure:-

'Driving license for those over 65 years of age

In our country there is no age limit to continue driving, but from 65 onwards the frequency with which the license must be renewed increases.
Update date: 02/25/2022Continuing to drive does not depend on age, but on the state of the driver's abilities and aptitudes.

From the age of 65 and to ensure that the ability to drive remains intact, the period of validity of the driving license is reduced. The aim of this is to increase the frequency of medical and fitness checks so that continuing to drive is safe for everyone.

In this way, the maximum validity periods of driving licenses would be:
Years of leave Types of card 5 years Car, motorcycle and motorcycle permits (AM, A1, A2, A, B) and driving licenses 3 years Professional bus and truck permits (C, C1, D, D1, EC, EC1, ED, ED1…)The medical examination that must be passed and the criteria to be evaluated are the same for any age. It is possible that if during the medical examination an illness or deficiency is detected that, although it does not currently prevent renewal, is likely to worsen, the period of validity of the permit will be shorter. In this case, the rate you must pay to renew it will also be lower.

If you are over 70 years old, you are exempt from paying traffic taxes for renewal'

https://www.dgt.es/nuestros-servicio...es-de-65-anos/

and not sure I have! except it might be linked to the groups of vehicles you can drive ?

Last edited by spainrico; Dec 22nd 2023 at 9:18 am.
Old Dec 23rd 2023, 4:01 pm
Forum Regular

NABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond repute

I exchanged my UK licence in 2020 and did not bother with the category for HGV’s etc. All the remaining categories, with the exception of C and C1 were due for renewal in 2025 which figured because that is when I get to 70. The C and C1 were only valid until December this year so I popped in for a medical. The medical was somewhat strange. Usual reaction test and eyesight (reading the letters and colour check) plus questions, did I sleep well at night, medication, no proof of type or dosage required and did I have diabetes. In and out in 20 minutes and a new licence just received in the post. With the exception of C and C1 the other categories now expire in 2028 when I will be 73. Seems strange that I get 5 years now and not keep the original 2025 expiry date.
Old Mar 14th 2024, 3:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

This morning I went with my 86-year-old buddy (yes 86) to the centre in Torrevieja to get his driving licence renewed - they agreed to renew his licence for 3 years - he read the bottom line of the eye chart (had his cataracts done in January) and said he scored well on the reactions test on the PC.

(Incredible!)

But the licence may not arrive until September - production delays.
Old Mar 14th 2024, 3:52 pm
Forum Regular

1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spainrico
This morning I went with my 86-year-old buddy (yes 86) to the centre in Torrevieja to get his driving licence renewed - they agreed to renew his licence for 3 years - he read the bottom line of the eye chart (had his cataracts done in January) and said he scored well on the reactions test on the PC.

(Incredible!)

But the licence may not arrive until September - production delays.
You mean he went to technico place for the aptitude test.? They don't renew your licence though.

Last edited by 1sexsmith; Mar 14th 2024 at 3:56 pm.
Old Mar 14th 2024, 4:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by 1sexsmith
You mean he went to technico place for the aptitude test.? They don't renew your licence though.
My understanding is there are places that do the whole lot for you , renewal medical apptitude test photograph all in one ? Certainly hope so as I have just had had my 3 month notice for renewal from MiDGT. I am planning on doing it through a place close to us that do the whole renewal and new licence is sent through post.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.