Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spanish driving licence exchange

Spanish driving licence exchange

Old May 19th 2021, 11:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Barriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spanish driving licence exchange

Originally Posted by Fred James
The official line is that for an exchange, a medical is not required, however that will depend on the local Trafico office who handle the exchange.

I have read a number of first hand reports where a medical was required as part of the exchange process..
When mine was done at the end of November last year. The agent who handled it told me that Uk licence holders were no longer able to 'just exchange' as of the signing of the WA. Because technically the Uk was no longer part of the EU.
He said that the DGT gave him (and other agents) instructions to inform customers that the 'Medical' (dont make me laugh) was needed and the licence was now a renewal not an exchange and they would all be for 10 years (if applicant was of the age) or 5 or whatever was the standard for Spain depending on your age.

My Uk licence had 7.5 years to run but my nice new Spanish one has start date of 28/01/2021 and finish date of 22/12/2030 so almost 10 years.

Not sure if applying direct via the DGT before the end of Dec makes it different, but assuming the OP did it this way it seems not.

Old May 24th 2021, 9:02 am
Just Joined

Mark Radberg is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by IminSpain
Going to change my UK for Spanish next week have my Cita, but it mentions medical certificate, I've been told I have to do a hand eye coordination test.... But others haven't mentioned it, can anyone please clarify, is it age related or.does everyone have to.do.it? I'm 60 and don't have any major health issues....cheers!

Strange and unpredictable Spain....my partner (who is a few years older than me) and I applied to change licences in February 2020. Got 1st appointment in April 2021. Went to Malaga office, registered and were told we would receive emails, which arrived a month later.
In the email was a list of things to bring to our next appointment. My partner was told to do the medical test (done for €45!!!) but I was not asked for one (strange!).
Went online to book next appointments. When I got to the bit about which country is original licence from.... UK is not mentioned (unpredictable!).
Tried to call...no answer (typical!).
Any ideas, anyone (perplexed!)??
Old May 24th 2021, 9:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Barriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mark Radberg
When I got to the bit about which country is original licence from.... UK is not mentioned (unpredictable!).
Tried to call...no answer (typical!).
Any ideas, anyone (perplexed!)??
Im assuming that the site has been updated as its no longer possible to exchange a UK driving licence.
Because the DGT is no longer able to confirm your driving history with the DVLA. (this ended on 31st Dec 2020).

If you applied in Feb 2020 the old system was still in operation and it should have been dealt with almost immediately.
When you registered did you fill out the form and did they take your licences from you (or at least take copies) so they could check them?
Here in the Alicante area the backup didn't start until August 2020 and I got mine changed via the old system in November and received my licence in March.

Old May 24th 2021, 10:38 am
Just Joined

Thanks.
During our 1st appointment (13 months after original online request), they took copies of everything and a month later sent the email with a further list of "to do's".
The country list on said DGT appointment site is made up of countries in and out of the EU which is why I find it strange.
Also strange is my partner being required to pass the Medical Test, when I wasn't.
Old May 24th 2021, 10:59 am
Forum Regular

Lagoo has a reputation beyond reputeLagoo has a reputation beyond reputeLagoo has a reputation beyond reputeLagoo has a reputation beyond reputeLagoo has a reputation beyond reputeLagoo has a reputation beyond reputeLagoo has a reputation beyond reputeLagoo has a reputation beyond reputeLagoo has a reputation beyond reputeLagoo has a reputation beyond reputeLagoo has a reputation beyond repute

I know I'm stating the obvious - and please don't be offended because I've missed many obvious things in the past - but the UK may be still listed under Reino Unido
Old May 24th 2021, 11:11 am
Just Joined

Thanks, yup...stating the obvious
No UK, GB, RU.
Funnily enough, Northern Ireland IS listed
Old May 24th 2021, 11:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute

The country list on said DGT appointment site is made up of countries in and out of the EU which is why I find it strange
Not really, Spain has bi-lateral exchange agreements with a number of non EU countries but UK isn't one of them.

For EU countries some agreements will predate Spain's membership so while they may still appear on a list exchanges within the union are covered by EU directives so being on a list is historical and superfluous.
Old May 24th 2021, 11:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks, yup...stating the obvious
No UK, GB, RU.
Funnily enough, Northern Ireland IS listed
Hmm. On the DGT website, Northern Ireland does not appear at all. Either as a country able to exchange nor in the list of countries at all.

https://sede.dgt.gob.es/es/permisos-...nio-bilateral/
https://sede.dgt.gob.es/es/permisos-...os/index.shtml

Language choice button top right.

Old Jun 1st 2021, 7:57 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

Update for those who registered to exchange their driving licence with DGT before 30 December 2020*
If you registered your details to exchange your UK driving licence for a Spanish licence before the end of last year, the deadline of 30 June 2021 has been extended until 31 December 2021, to allow you more time to complete your licence exchange.
The DGT has also confirmed that both the green residence document and the TIE are valid proof of residence when completing the exchange. You can see the Spanish government's bilingual 'nota aclaratoria' that states the ongoing validity of the green residency certificate: https://www.inclusion.gob.es/.../nota_aclaratoria_green...
Old Jun 1st 2021, 8:48 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

If one is unable to exchange and cannot pass the test, a long term hire might be a viable option(?) as rates are very competitive.
Old Jun 1st 2021, 9:10 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missile
If one is unable to exchange and cannot pass the test, a long term hire might be a viable option(?) as rates are very competitive.
Would this work for a person who is registered officially in Spain because they would not be classed as a tourist which I thought was the ruling on using a UK licence for driving a Spanish car. No idea at all but simply wondering whether it is really an option.

Rosemary
Old Jun 1st 2021, 11:06 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosemary
Would this work for a person who is registered officially in Spain because they would not be classed as a tourist which I thought was the ruling on using a UK licence for driving a Spanish car. No idea at all but simply wondering whether it is really an option.

Rosemary
If one is resident, then you are not permitted to drive a Spanish car that you own with a UK license. AFIK, this would not prevent one from driving a Spanish registered car owned by someone else or hired.

It is not something which I am interested in, but may be worth investigating, for those determined to bend the rules and live under the radar?
Old Jun 1st 2021, 1:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

If one is resident, then you are not permitted to drive a Spanish car that you own with a UK license. AFIK, this would not prevent one from driving a Spanish registered car owned by someone else or hired.

It is not something which I am interested in, but may be worth investigating, for those determined to bend the rules and live under the radar?
Hmm. Wouldn't like to argue that with the Polica.

But if its the case then you could just drive any Spanish plated vehicle not owned or registered in your name.

https://www.thelocal.es/20210409/dri...ence-exchange/
This states that as a resident having a UK licence will be illegal as you should have exchanged it or be in the process of taking your test.

As things stand, UK nationals who are Spanish residents will be allowed to drive in Spain with a valid UK driving licence until June 30th 2021. ... This means that as of June 30th, your UK driving licence will no longer be recognised here and you will not be authorised to drive.

Obviously if you are not a resident (under the radar) you could argue that you were a 'tourist' and still able to use your UK issue licence.
I would then expect you to be politely yet firmly removed to the Police Station where someone will happily look into how long you will have been here as a 'tourist'.

Old Jun 1st 2021, 1:45 pm
Started off with nothing

I know what the rules are. However, there are many who are living here who are not resident and will continue living the dream until they are expelled. They are not here legally and might want to take a chance?

Unless you commit a traffic offence, you are very unlikely to have a spot check and I doubt police would check your resident status and take you to a police station.

Whatever, I was just making an observation.
Old Jun 1st 2021, 2:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

I know what the rules are. However, there are many who are living here who are not resident and will continue living the dream until they are expelled. They are not here legally and might want to take a chance?

Unless you commit a traffic offence, you are very unlikely to have a spot check and I doubt police would check your resident status and take you to a police station.

Whatever, I was just making an observation.

I know you are making an observation but someone will try to take it as gospel.

And as to spot checks, Ive had two over the last couple of months. Traffico were at one of the new roundabouts leading from the N332 to Alfaz last week and I had to show all the cars paperwork, my licence and my TIE. They stopped everyone, not just the odd car, I assumed they were looking for someone.
There was an officer checking all the ITV stickers in the car park in Albir (where the market is on sundays) a couple of weeks ago on a Friday. He took pictures of all the non Spanish number plates.
We live on a rat run that cuts out the main Polop to Callosa road and there is usually a Polica Local car sat by the bins a couple of times a week, we wave and shout Hola these days and he always waves back.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.