Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

The Spanish climate..?

The Spanish climate..?

Old Jan 7th 2018, 4:07 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Spanish climate..?

Hola

I live in Chiclana and have done so for 15 years; what does "safe" mean? If you are talking about illegal houses, then half of the houses are illegal but will not be pulled down as they have been standing for more than the required 6 (soon to be 8) years without any authority demanding their demolition. Therefore half the houses are legal - but that doesn't mean to say they have all the paperwork.

The weather here can be checked on my weather station
chiclana weather station meteo tiempo forcast - we usually get down to somewhere around zero in winter(but often min is 5c), top temp is around 20C but can be as cold at 10C.

Top temp in summer can be in the 40's and guaranteed 35C for many weeks of the summer.

Any other questions - just ask

Davexf
Old Jan 8th 2018, 9:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SpanishLife99
Hello all..

Just making some early speculative noise about a potential move to mainland Spain in the coming months. I'm hoping there are some Span experts here who can direct me when it comes to climate.

I've been looking at properties from as far as the Valencia region to Cadiz. I'd even contemplate Portugal.
Therein lies the problem. Haven't you looked above Valencia where you would also find a decent climate (whatever that is)? Even people on the Côte d'Azur manage to live, so nothing wrong with locations just below France all the way down to Valencia.

Last edited by Moses2013; Jan 8th 2018 at 10:31 am.
Old Jan 8th 2018, 10:28 am
Just Joined

csrich is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd be particularly interested to hear from any residents in both southern provincial corners of Spain, either Cadiz / Huelva or Almeria..

Thanks!
Have a look at the Ayamonte thread for information about part of the Huelva region.
Old Jan 8th 2018, 12:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by csrich

Have a look at the Ayamonte thread for information about part of the Huelva region.
Today it's COLD . Bright and sunny but a vicious wind. Problem is over time one gets used to warm weather and when the thermometer drops to 10ºC or lower it feels artic. Am so used to seeing visitors walking round in shorts and polo shirts while "locals" wander around in two/three layers, anoraks and heavy coats and scarves everything is relative.
Old Jan 8th 2018, 1:07 pm
Just Joined

SpanishLife99 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all the replies!

Being from Manchester (and having lived in a freezing old house for years..), I feel I'd cope rather well with Spanish winters, but the idea would still be to raise the temps just a little and obviously curtail the actual length of winters a little )

My research so far has found a perfect looking space in the south east. Fairly coastal but close enough to the mountains to keep me happy.

As I'd be driving the dog there for the first initial trip, I feel the east coast is just advisable purely from a distance to travel pov

And a decent expat presence is obviously preferable. I'd be looking to help out / get paid work helping out as I should have flexible time available for that

Also, renting for six months ish to get a taste before any plunge. Can't wait!

If people have any general tips and advice re Almeria province, please feel free to share!
Old Jan 8th 2018, 1:33 pm
Forum Regular

FranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond repute

We live outside Peniscola, Valencian community. Although the town gets very touristy (mainly Spanish tourists) in the height of summer, it's lovely out of season, you can have the cobbled streets of the old town, and the castle, all to yourself.

Peniscola is on the very edge of the Serra d'Irta national park which runs for (roughty) 5-10 km inland and 15/20 km south, right down to the completely undeveloped coast. Our house is JUST inside the national park boundary, inland from the town. It's truly beautiful, no traffic, no noise, just woodland for miles and birdsong all day.

Being further north, we don't get the extremes of temperature in the summer, but it does vary from year to year anyway. Last year the spring and summer were ideal, I was sunbathing on the beach in early May and even in August it wasn't too hot. The year before, the summer was very late and I was still in jeans and jumpers in May, the summer was hotter, and it "turned" in September. The winters are cold, and damp, but the "default" winter weather is clear blue skies and no wind.

A point about airports and Ryanair. Castellon airport is 35 minutes from us and Ryanair has flights from Stansted 3 times a week. They used to fly from Bristol as well but they have stopped. No announcements, nothing. However, Barcelona is 2.5 hours away (car or train) and Valencia about 3 hours. Reus is closer but again Ryanair have stopped flying there.
Old Jan 9th 2018, 3:30 pm
Just Joined

jumar is an unknown quantity at this point

We live just outside Totana in the region of Murcia. 35 minutes to the coast of Puerto Mazarron and just under the Sierra Espuña with great mountain walking. A very Spanish town but with a scattering of expats around, mainly in the campo. Winters are normally excellent but summers can get hot.
Old Jan 9th 2018, 4:32 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jumar
We live just outside Totana in the region of Murcia. 35 minutes to the coast of Puerto Mazarron and just under the Sierra Espuña with great mountain walking. A very Spanish town but with a scattering of expats around, mainly in the campo. Winters are normally excellent but summers can get hot.
Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst myself and BEVS moderate Europe. Please read the Site Rules Site Rules | British Expatriate Community adhere to them so that the site runs smoothly. Moderators are there to ensure that the rules of BE are maintained. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Jan 10th 2018, 9:44 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

I'd be particularly interested to hear from any residents in both southern provincial corners of Spain, either Cadiz / Huelva or Almeria..

Thanks!
Have a look and perhaps post on the Ayamonte Club sub-forum.

Ayamonte in Huelva province is on the border with Portugal and is served by two international airports: Faro (40 mins) and Sevilla (75 mins). You can get the benefits of both Spanish and Portuguese cultures with a few minutes drive over a bridge across the Guadiana river. Whilst the climate is not perfect is certainly not extreme. Warm to Hot in the summer is ameliorated by a cooling Atlantic breeze - but it is not as windy as the coast around Cadiz and Tarifa. Cool and a bit wetter in the winter - which leads to green surroundings and a source of much of the early season soft fruit and oranges we get in the UK. You can need a heater in the winter but it's never really cold.
There are a few ex-pats living there and a few tourists in the know visit in the summer but it is certainly never overrun with boozed up Brit stag parties.
Old Jan 10th 2018, 9:47 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the Huelva update!

Any Javeans around? Is it really as wet the stats seem to suggest?
Old Jan 10th 2018, 1:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Horlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond repute

Javea? Wet? Not the one i live in.
Old Jan 10th 2018, 2:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the Huelva update!

Any Javeans around? Is it really as wet the stats seem to suggest?
What stats? If you mean the one I'm thinking of it's a hot semi arid climate and you receive half the rainfall Gibraltar would get.

Last edited by Moses2013; Jan 10th 2018 at 3:08 pm.
Old Jan 10th 2018, 3:50 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

The Costa Blanca is slightly wetter than the Costa del Sol, mainly because of the frequency of the Gota Fría which occurs in Autumn and can result in very heavy rainfall. Apart from that there really isn’t much difference.
Old Jan 12th 2018, 1:19 pm
Forum Regular

aidan1980 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Loafing Along
Today it's COLD . Bright and sunny but a vicious wind. Problem is over time one gets used to warm weather and when the thermometer drops to 10ºC or lower it feels artic. Am so used to seeing visitors walking round in shorts and polo shirts while "locals" wander around in two/three layers, anoraks and heavy coats and scarves everything is relative.
quite right, we came over to Seville in Feb for the Leicester champions league game, loads of us in t shirts and shorts while the locals were covered up in big coats etc lol
Old Jan 12th 2018, 1:29 pm
Just Joined

http://www.holiday-weather.com/javea/averages/

Check out the rain figures. Not quite Manchester but certainly way more than Andalucia in general

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.