British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   The Spanish climate..? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/spanish-climate-907614/)

SpanishLife99 Jan 7th 2018 9:25 am

The Spanish climate..?

Hello all..

Just making some early speculative noise about a potential move to mainland Spain in the coming months. I'm hoping there are some Span experts here who can direct me when it comes to climate.

I've been looking at properties from as far as the Valencia region to Cadiz. I'd even contemplate Portugal. At this stage I'm completely open in terms of location, though due to my fears over sticking my quite highly strung husky in the cargo hold of a plane, it would probably have to be mainland. Moreover, I'd need to travel back to the UK periodically for work reasons, so shorter flights home the better!

Ideally, I'm looking for the "promised land" that is the following:

- pleasant winters, although I'm not asking for Canary Islands warmth, just not anything approaching freezing conditions (I'm truly fed up with British winter..). I know many areas in Spain face colder conditions than anyone would ever believe, with poorly insulated homes built for heat etc so somewhere that hopefully avoids this more often than not

- somewhere that also avoids truly baking heat in peak summer

From what I've understood so far.. Inland areas can get hotter AND colder than coastal areas?

My instincts (subject to visiting particular areas) are that I'd actually prefer inland areas, away from tourist hotpots and closer to nature (which is what I want)

Areas that have piqued interest so far are (in no order):

- inland Valencia, Olocau etc

- inland Almeria, Huércal-Overa, Albox etc

- Malaga coastal region, Torrox, Competa. Too British / touristy?

- Malaga inland area around Jaen, or between Malaga and Jaen

- Cadiz region, Chiclana etc is it safe to buy in this area yet?

It's really some of the many national parks that I'd like to be near as I'm a keen hiker. However, I'd be driving a lot so distance shouldn't be an enormous factor.

I do feel that climate is going to be pivotal in my enjoyment of a place. Ideally, I'd like family to visit all year round..

So from personal experience of different locations, which areas should I be focusing on?

Cheers! :)

Rosemary Jan 7th 2018 9:32 am

Re: The Spanish climate..?

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst myself and BEVS moderate Europe. Please read the Site Rules Site Rules | British Expatriate Community to them so that the site runs smoothly. Moderators are there to ensure that the rules of BE are maintained. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary

missile Jan 7th 2018 10:31 am

Originally Posted by SpanishLife99 (Post 12412877)
...I do feel that climate is going to be pivotal in my enjoyment of a place. Ideally, I'd like family to visit all year round.. So from personal experience of different locations, which areas should I be focusing on?

You are dreaming if you think you will find anywhere on mainland Spain with perfect weather 365 days. The Canary Islands would be a batter choice, for consistent year round weather.

The climate in Spain is more temperate nearer the med coast. Inland will be very hot in summer and bitterly cold when the sun goes down in winter. Older Spanish properties are not well insulated and are difficult to heat. We had snow storms and some roads were impassable last week. See here

SpanishLife99 Jan 7th 2018 1:00 pm

Thanks for the reply.

Not asking for perfect..

I find it hard to believe there can't be a certain section of Andalucia that is nicer in winter than Manchester, England??

As well as that, I'm looking for somewhere that isn't 35+ each day for two months. Must be some part of the Iberian Peninsula that affords this more than most???

lurchio Jan 7th 2018 1:03 pm

You are going to have to 'fine tune' what you want from life here. Inland will give you the spaces and lifestyle, but not the climate you want. The top of Malaga province, Granada and Jaen fit the bill for your lifestyle, but its hot summers and cold winters. Bonus is low humidity and rainfall, but I have just walked my dogs three miles in 6 degrees and glorious winter sunshine, which I personally love, the wood burner will be going tonight, again we love it. Its up to you to find your place, but guaranteed you will sacrifice one or two items of your wishlist. Huercal Overa is still hanging onto its Spanishness, but Albox is definitely little UK. Get out here on a few visits in different areas that you fancy!

johnnyone Jan 7th 2018 1:05 pm

As you shall be travelling back to the UK ensure you have good proximity to at least two airports in Spain that serve your UK destination. The last thing you need is for a route to be withdrawn leaving you no easy alternative.

SpanishLife99 Jan 7th 2018 1:06 pm

Hi, thanks for that!

Absolutely, I really do have to visit. But for now, it's about me ascertaining how realistic my ideas actually are! :)

Oh, and I'm pretty damn good at research, or at least I absorb a lot of info over a short time..! And yes, the Jaen province did really seem to get my juices flowing in terms of what it offered.

What put me off was the temperature extremes.. My instincts are that moving further toward the coast might not suit me as much culturally.

As you say it's a tuning process, but quite a fun one! I have a feeling there'll be a specific location that especially weather wise will tick the right boxes...

SpanishLife99 Jan 7th 2018 1:10 pm

Great point re airports. A lot of my first considerations are based around Ryanair availability! I'm also already starting to check out decent kennels availability. I know the area around Malaga offers lots of choice in that regard

johnnyone Jan 7th 2018 1:10 pm

You can check weather record here:-

https://www.wunderground.com/history...ocalwx_history

lurchio Jan 7th 2018 1:13 pm

I think your instincts may serve you well in that case. The important thing is the decision that you will do it, just where to do it. May be repetitive, but rent first so your options are always open until you find the place. Good luck, you won't regret it.

SpanishLife99 Jan 7th 2018 1:28 pm

I'd be particularly interested to hear from any residents in both southern provincial corners of Spain, either Cadiz / Huelva or Almeria..

Thanks!

missile Jan 7th 2018 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by SpanishLife99 (Post 12413002)
Thanks for the reply.

Not asking for perfect..

I find it hard to believe there can't be a certain section of Andalucia that is nicer in winter than Manchester, England??

As well as that, I'm looking for somewhere that isn't 35+ each day for two months. Must be some part of the Iberian Peninsula that affords this more than most???

Anywhere in Andalucia is better than Manchester. There are many hill top villages in Sierra Nevada and little villages on the coast which are not little England tourist traps.

lurchio Jan 7th 2018 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by missile (Post 12413065)
Anywhere in Andalucia is better than Manchester. There are many hill top villages in Sierra Nevada and little villages on the coast which are not little England tourist traps.

Absolutely right. I would never swap my little Spanish corner on the alti plano for anywhere in the UK. Nor would my arthritis for sure!! Happy days.

SpanishLife99 Jan 7th 2018 2:49 pm

Alti plano? Google says that's Granada?

If that's right, please can you elaborate more on the Granada climate?

I read that it's the quite cold + very hot mix of weather?

lurchio Jan 7th 2018 3:43 pm

Correct, and on the climate! With a Spanish population, Olives, Mountains, Lakes and breathtaking scenery. For us, heaven but not everyones Cafe con leche! Borders Murcia, Almeria,Jaen and Malaga Provinces. Different to say the least.