Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spanish cars & none residents

Spanish cars & none residents

Old Apr 9th 2007, 5:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

big wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond repute
Default Spanish cars & none residents

I have just read a post on another forum stating that it's illegal for a none resident to own or drive a Spanish registered vehicle.
If this is correct how come I, as a none resident was allowed to buy my car from a dealer, insure it and pay road tax on it???
Old Apr 9th 2007, 5:31 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spanish cars & none residents

Originally Posted by big wheels
I have just read a post on another forum stating that it's illegal for a none resident to own or drive a Spanish registered vehicle.
If this is correct how come I, as a none resident was allowed to buy my car from a dealer, insure it and pay road tax on it???
Do you live here full time? If so, you are a resident. You are certainly supposed to be registered on the padron to register a car in your name for sure, but presumably you have done so to register the car you bought?
Old Apr 9th 2007, 5:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

big wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond repute

We spend around 6mths in Spain and do not have residency. We are registered at the town hall as we get bills for IBI etc. But as to the padron I'm not sure? I only had to show my NIE to purchase the car.
Old Apr 9th 2007, 5:51 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Do you live here full time? If so, you are a resident. You are certainly supposed to be registered on the padron to register a car in your name for sure, but presumably you have done so to register the car you bought?
We only needed an nie number and the cash to buy our cars, nothing was mentioned about residencia.
Old Apr 9th 2007, 6:13 pm
MnM
luna~sea..its a lifestyle

MnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi big wheels,

what you read on the other forum was perhaps mis-information.

You can legally buy and drive a car in Spain as a non-resident. You can even get financing for it if you can show proof of income in another EU country.

Martha
Old Apr 9th 2007, 6:48 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
We only needed an nie number and the cash to buy our cars, nothing was mentioned about residencia.
Hmmm .... very strange. We bought our car in December, and we were physically unable to register it in our name correctly without sending in our padron which was done through the sellers gestoria.

Similarly, when we recently registered the UK car on Spanish plates we had to give our padron to our gestoria who had to lodge it with all the other documents.
Old Apr 9th 2007, 8:19 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
The law changed recently to allow non residents to keep cars here for use by the owners of a holiday home. However, a foreign registered car must be legal to drive in its country of origin, and can only be here for 180 days before returning to its country of origin.
Here in Chiclana to get an empadronamiento, you simply need to go to the census office in the ayuntamiento with an NIE and escritura. They want you on their books as they get more money if they have more people !!!!

Dave
Old Apr 9th 2007, 9:29 pm
MnM
luna~sea..its a lifestyle

MnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond repute

If you do not own a property in Spain and are just renting, then you can obtain your enpadronamiento from the Town hall with your NIE and rental agreement.
Old Apr 9th 2007, 11:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Hmmm .... very strange. We bought our car in December, and we were physically unable to register it in our name correctly without sending in our padron which was done through the sellers gestoria.
Maybe it's different buying a car privately, than through a dealer??