Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spanish banks next

Spanish banks next

Old Oct 13th 2008, 7:00 am
BE Enthusiast

chrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant future
Default Spanish banks next

According to todays Telegraph ( page B2) the Spanish government has not taken any steps to prevent "Shorting " positions on stocks & shares.
Large short positions have been taken against several Spanish banks
If the story is true the people concerned are betting over 100m euros each on several banks so it looks like they mean business, mite be time to hide your euros under the bed , if you have any left
Old Oct 13th 2008, 8:37 am
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spanish banks next

Whilst "shorting" clearly reflects the "shorter"'s view of the relative merits of an institution, the evidence suggests that it does nothing to change the ultimate value. Short selling of bank shares has been banned in London and New York for weeks. This hasn't stopped their shares collapsing. I would suggest that it is the fundamental weakness of a business that causes the collapse of its share price, not a few wide boys spotting that this particular emperor has no clothes on.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 11:29 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bigglesworth
Whilst "shorting" clearly reflects the "shorter"'s view of the relative merits of an institution, the evidence suggests that it does nothing to change the ultimate value. Short selling of bank shares has been banned in London and New York for weeks. This hasn't stopped their shares collapsing. I would suggest that it is the fundamental weakness of a business that causes the collapse of its share price, not a few wide boys spotting that this particular emperor has no clothes on.
Short selling was actually only officially introduced a couple of days ago and is really of little concern. Short selling really has no influence on this mega crisis!
Old Oct 13th 2008, 12:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

Beg to differ with the first point. I have been in the markets for more years than I care to admit, and short selling has certainly not just been introduced. It is as old a technique as the hills and probably started the day after the first joint stock company was formed.
I completely agree that it has nothing to do with the collapse. The banks were running bad businesses, and it is a bit rich of them to criticise those who spotted it
Old Oct 13th 2008, 12:07 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Short selling is actually quite an important part of the markets and banning it can have a slightly detrimental effect.

Its been going on for generations and generations and its logical to think that its not much to do with the current crisis ... mainly caused by arrogant nobbers who seemed to think they knew exactly what they were doing.

I remember going to a meeting for a £50k business loan in RBS in the early 90's. We had a good business but needed some capital. The terms they wanted would have tied us up in knots and left us spending more time creating management figures for them than running the business.

So what the hell happened to these experts!
Old Oct 13th 2008, 12:22 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
I'm back, what do you need to know?
Old Oct 13th 2008, 12:26 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
I'm back, what do you need to know?
Am I going to be destitute next week?
Old Oct 13th 2008, 12:29 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Am I going to be destitute next week?
reduce the amount of gin you drink and you might be in for a hope.....
Old Oct 13th 2008, 12:30 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

they've run & hid rather than admit that 'they know nothing'
Old Oct 13th 2008, 12:31 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
reduce the amount of gin you drink and you might be in for a hope.....

But then the Gin industry would be in decline
Old Oct 13th 2008, 1:08 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
they've run & hid rather than admit that 'they know nothing'

Living in Spain, spending their fat bonus? Those people even get a bonus when they are sacked!
Old Oct 15th 2008, 4:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

I've said it before and will say it again. The only connection between bankers and brains is they both begin with B and end in s. But so do B*lls.