Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spain's Gagging Law

Spain's Gagging Law

Old Jul 23rd 2015, 9:57 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Spain's Gagging Law

....officially introduced today.

Some of the main points.

The ten most repressive points of Spain's gag law - The Local

No surprise they are clamping down on the kids outdoor bottle (alcohol) parties after some of the shocking incidents in the past few years.

Quite a few restrictive measures Franco would have been proud of as well.

There was also one on the list stating that any criticism of Spain would result in a 30,000 euro fine for the individual concerned, not sure if that went through as well.

For anyone interested in Spanish news, there's been a very noticeable change in that as well over the past couple of years with maximum positive govt propaganda at the expense of the other parties and negative articles, after the govt put its own personell in place in various media outlets, so you can believe much less in the papers and TV news than ever before.
I used to really appreciate the openness of the Spanish TV news with its widespread coverage and opinions from the whole world and its wife, but sadly it appears very limited in its output now.

Last edited by Dick Dasterdly; Jul 23rd 2015 at 10:14 pm. Reason: Add on
Old Jul 24th 2015, 7:48 am
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spain's Gagging Law

The decline in RTVE has been shocking but LaSexta y Cuatro are still much better.
Old Jul 29th 2015, 11:28 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Take care what you post from now on !

First gag law fine for 'lazy police' social media post - The Local

I imagine there must be many thousands of previous posts on here that would have been liable for prosecution and a fine under the new Franco style anti free speech laws.

What say you Fred James ?
Old Jul 29th 2015, 12:34 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not really sure how to feel about this.

Obviously, if really true, it is a blatant violation of free speech, and I'd have to believe a violation of EU law.

If taken at "face value", I can't imagine this one could possibly survive public & political scrutiny.

Or... Maybe not.
Old Jul 29th 2015, 3:04 pm
On the road again.

Originally Posted by amideislas
I'm not really sure how to feel about this.

Obviously, if really true, it is a blatant violation of free speech, and I'd have to believe a violation of EU law.

If taken at "face value", I can't imagine this one could possibly survive public & political scrutiny.

Or... Maybe not.
It already has survived.

It was proposed quite a while back and I believe minor amendments were made, but other than that it was steamrollered through despite protests from all the opposition parties and the public in general.

I get the impression both public and media no longer have the stomach to fight the govt on a grand scale having become very weary of being ground down for so many years now and also wary of the consequences of protesting too loudly.

What amazes me is how the PP is still the most popular party.
Despite all that has happened I believe they are still in a position to grab the highest number of seats at the forthcoming national election, though whether they will have an overall majority is another question, in which case the amount of wheeling and dealing required to form a new govt could be mind boggling.
Old Jul 29th 2015, 3:46 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
It already has survived.

It was proposed quite a while back and I believe minor amendments were made, but other than that it was steamrollered through despite protests from all the opposition parties and the public in general.

I get the impression both public and media no longer have the stomach to fight the govt on a grand scale having become very weary of being ground down for so many years now and also wary of the consequences of protesting too loudly.

What amazes me is how the PP is still the most popular party.
Despite all that has happened I believe they are still in a position to grab the highest number of seats at the forthcoming national election, though whether they will have an overall majority is another question, in which case the amount of wheeling and dealing required to form a new govt could be mind boggling.
I'm not a fan of any Spanish political party. But I suspect one reason the pp is popular is well, look at the alternatives...
Old Jul 29th 2015, 3:56 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

What say you Fred James ?
Well under the site rules, you can't slag off other members and now you can't slag off the authorities.

You will just have to take it out on the cat/dog/wife/brats.

Sid
Old Jul 29th 2015, 4:43 pm
On the road again.

Originally Posted by Fred James
Well under the site rules, you can't slag off other members and now you can't slag off the authorities.

Sid
Maybe ex expats now living in the UK will still have the right of free speech
(until the EU puts the block on it of course),
so for the moment they might get away with speaking their mind.

I don't imagine Rajoy would utilise the extradition treaty and drag them back to a Spanish jail screaming and kicking in handcuffs just for that surely ?

.....or would he ?
Old Jul 29th 2015, 5:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe ex expats now living in the UK will still have the right of free speech
Don't forget Britain in the Sun
Old Jul 29th 2015, 7:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

If you've got facebook the post where he left his comments is here

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...78&pnref=story

You can scroll down and read his comments, they're still there. Mind, I'm not suggesting you "like" them or anything......
Old Jul 30th 2015, 9:21 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James

Sid
He called the Police slackers!
Whats wrong with speaking the truth?
(I can say that cos I aint there!)
Old Aug 2nd 2015, 7:51 pm
Banned

Louis5 is an unknown quantity at this point

One of the reasons I hate Spain so much. Watch police harm innocent kids before for protesting outside of a school. Sucks now we can't even record it.

UK rocks how in a public place we can record anything or anyone, even without permission... Check metropolitan police website if you doubt me.
Old Aug 2nd 2015, 8:29 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Louis5
One of the reasons I hate Spain so much. Watch police harm innocent kids before for protesting outside of a school. Sucks now we can't even record it.

UK rocks how in a public place we can record anything or anyone, even without permission... Check metropolitan police website if you doubt me.
Do you have a point? Or is it simply Spain bad, everywhere else good.

Have you ever been to Spain? You sure don't sound like it.
Old Aug 2nd 2015, 8:58 pm
On the road again.

Originally Posted by amideislas
Do you have a point? Or is it simply Spain bad, everywhere else good.

Have you ever been to Spain? You sure don't sound like it.
A bit like that other poster whose handle I can't quite recall,

"UK bad, everywhere else good."

...must be at least ten minutes since he last clocked in,

very worrying.
Old Aug 4th 2015, 10:50 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

A bit like that other poster whose handle I can't quite recall,

"UK bad, everywhere else good."

...must be at least ten minutes since he last clocked in,

very worrying.
UK GOOD but far from perfect , not everywhere else BAD.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.