Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spain, What Do You Expect?

Spain, What Do You Expect?

Old Jan 20th 2010, 12:26 pm
Banned

chulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud of
Default Re: Spain, What Do You Expect?

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
I don't work
Therefore your input on lifestyle is limited, I would not rate your opinion of work, schooling etc in Spain compared to someone working or having children in school in Spain.

If I wanted advice on pensions, tax issues for the retired then I would rate your input and anybody else retired.
Old Jan 20th 2010, 12:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chulo
Personally what I read is criticism.

I read/member of most of the Spanish and Italian forums on the net, some Spanish forums too and there is a pattern of complaint.

I prefer to read the hassle of someone in the Spanish community than a person who spends all day in their villa/pueblo.

Someone with a family living and working in Spain is going to have far more experience of Spanish culture than a person not working.
Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
The thing is why shouldn´t you have a moan. If you were in the UK you would moan about certain things so now you are living in Spain you are not allowed to moan about anything Spanish. Balls, I love living here but there are things I want to moan about just as I would moan about different things in the UK. My present moan is the bloody pot holes at the bottom of my road whilst the Council are laying artificial grass on the entrance to the town. I have always said there is good and bad in every country and every nationality.

I would suggest everyone's hassle is equally important to them.... we can make our judgements about whether or not the hassle complained of might have been less of a hassle if the person had done more to join in with the community... (learned more Spanish, got friendly with the mayor, been seen in more shopping in the town etc) , and choose whether or not to air these judgements. Living and working in Spain is apart from anything else surely a bit simplistic - what about the old biddies in our village who haven't done paid work in years & find stuff to mither about? If they're English they're moaning, if they're Spanish it's ok?

A totally separate but I think relevant question.... does any Spaniard on this forum ever go on Spanish expat forums ref the UK? Do the Spanish have comments to make about elements of the British way of life? I don't know the answer so it's not a test question!

ref Chulo's last post.... I don't know about other folk, but I don't do paid work here therefore try to be careful about how I phrase any comments I might have to make. I certainly think I'm entitled to make them, though. Similarly about any topic in any conversation whether in pixelland or face to face. Blather is blather whether in a forum or in the pub. Sometimes we talk about things we know little about & there's nothing much any of us can do about it, apart from strive to ensure our own posts are fair. Not sure that all made sense..

Last edited by fionamw; Jan 20th 2010 at 12:35 pm.
Old Jan 20th 2010, 12:40 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Therefore your input on lifestyle is limited, I would not rate your opinion of work, schooling etc in Spain compared to someone working or having children in school in Spain.

If I wanted advice on pensions, tax issues for the retired then I would rate your input and anybody else retired.
Then you would be making massive assumptions based on no fact
This of course as opposed to someone who doesnt live in Spain and isnt here on the spot?
Old Jan 20th 2010, 12:44 pm
Banned

chulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by fionamw
Sometimes we talk about things we know little about & there's nothing much any of us can do about it, apart from strive to ensure our own posts are fair. Not sure that all made sense..
In general people on forums argue with every comment they disagree with, something they probably would not do in person, unless they are that dumb.
Old Jan 20th 2010, 12:46 pm
Banned

Then you would be making massive assumptions based on no fact
This of course as opposed to someone who doesnt live in Spain and isnt here on the spot?

That is my mistake to make.

It also should not concern others.

Oh I'll also remind you that I have a Spanish National in his forties sat less then 5 feet away from me.

Last edited by chulo; Jan 20th 2010 at 12:58 pm.
Old Jan 20th 2010, 2:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Oh I'll also remind you that I have a Spanish National in his forties sat less then 5 feet away from me.

Well I have one in her 40`s sat on my.....err wrong forum
Old Jan 20th 2010, 4:24 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

I hope you are very happy together
Old Jan 20th 2010, 4:30 pm
Banned

I hope you are very happy together
Blissfully.
Old Jan 20th 2010, 4:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute

Personally what I read is criticism.

I read/member of most of the Spanish and Italian forums on the net, some Spanish forums too and there is a pattern of complaint.

I prefer to read the hassle of someone in the Spanish community than a person who spends all day in their villa/pueblo.

Someone with a family living and working in Spain is going to have far more experience of Spanish culture than a person not working.
I am not working at the mo but dont tell me about lack of experience of spanish culture if only the fundamentals.

Schooling
dentists
doctors
town hall
etc etc...it goes on..
All done on our own and always in spanish.

Keeps your brain alert.

How many of us have rehearsed in our heads all through the night what we are going to have to say the next day?
Old Jan 20th 2010, 4:49 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fionamw
I would suggest everyone's hassle is equally important to them.... we can make our judgements about whether or not the hassle complained of might have been less of a hassle if the person had done more to join in with the community... (learned more Spanish, got friendly with the mayor, been seen in more shopping in the town etc) , and choose whether or not to air these judgements. Living and working in Spain is apart from anything else surely a bit simplistic - what about the old biddies in our village who haven't done paid work in years & find stuff to mither about? If they're English they're moaning, if they're Spanish it's ok?

A totally separate but I think relevant question.... does any Spaniard on this forum ever go on Spanish expat forums ref the UK? Do the Spanish have comments to make about elements of the British way of life? I don't know the answer so it's not a test question!ref Chulo's last post.... I don't know about other folk, but I don't do paid work here therefore try to be careful about how I phrase any comments I might have to make. I certainly think I'm entitled to make them, though. Similarly about any topic in any conversation whether in pixelland or face to face. Blather is blather whether in a forum or in the pub. Sometimes we talk about things we know little about & there's nothing much any of us can do about it, apart from strive to ensure our own posts are fair. Not sure that all made sense..
I dont go on other expat forums, either for Spanish or Brits.
We fisrt started to look on the forum for helpful hints in establishing ourselves in Spain, ie British TV etc, as we could not expect the fimily to know all that stuff.
I can understand why expats would want to contact eachother, we all gravitate to what we are used to.
As for the complaints about moaning, I dont see it as such, folks are recounting their experiences and trying to stop others tripping over the same obstacles. And this is real life not the TRUMAN SHOW
What I cant understand is why anyone would sit day after day,
and post on site dedicated to a country that they have no desire to live in, invest in, or work in,
I have no desire to start collecting stamps, or learn more about them, or bug people that do know and are interested in them, so I stay away from those type of forums.
Old Jan 20th 2010, 4:53 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

WTF?????

Could this be the most inane comment made this week.?
Old Jan 20th 2010, 6:30 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by JLFS
WTF?????

You think, maybe I'll agree.
Old Jan 20th 2010, 6:35 pm
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute

No,

You think, maybe I'll agree.
That was.
Old Jan 20th 2010, 6:46 pm
Banned

Now that I would agree with.
Old Jan 20th 2010, 6:50 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

I dont go on other expat forums, either for Spanish or Brits.
We fisrt started to look on the forum for helpful hints in establishing ourselves in Spain, ie British TV etc, as we could not expect the fimily to know all that stuff.
I can understand why expats would want to contact eachother, we all gravitate to what we are used to.
As for the complaints about moaning, I dont see it as such, folks are recounting their experiences and trying to stop others tripping over the same obstacles. And this is real life not the TRUMAN SHOW
What I cant understand is why anyone would sit day after day,
and post on site dedicated to a country that they have no desire to live in, invest in, or work in,

I have no desire to start collecting stamps, or learn more about them, or bug people that do know and are interested in them, so I stay away from those type of forums.

what he said

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.