Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spain urged to change its long hours and late night culture

Spain urged to change its long hours and late night culture

Old May 20th 2013, 8:04 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spain urged to change its long hours and late night culture

I have absolutely no idea why shops being open on a Sunday would make the slightest difference to people who don't want to go shopping.

Unless of course they are control freaks who think that everyone ought to think as they think and do as they do.
Old May 21st 2013, 6:57 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Yes, fair enough, but I would be most surprised if even the Spanish outside their own areas would have a clue which local fiesta was due up next and why the Saint concerned had earned himself such an enviable reputation.
all the calendars I have got my hands on over the past few years seem to have the saints shown each day, all 365
Old May 21st 2013, 7:00 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato
I have absolutely no idea why shops being open on a Sunday would make the slightest difference to people who don't want to go shopping.

Unless of course they are control freaks who think that everyone ought to think as they think and do as they do.
or can't plan forward for more than a day at a time

but even out here in the (olive) sticks we have a couple of bread shops that are open for a few hours on Sundays. Although a local bar sells baguettes he makes in his own oven.
Old May 21st 2013, 8:13 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato

Precisely.
Old May 21st 2013, 9:12 am
BE Enthusiast

jennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by cricketman
Sure that is fine

It also has to be recognised that some people contribute more in 1 hour than others will do in a 50 hour working week
So how do you do that in a Country with a pretty low work ethic over a split day then ?

Are you suggesting some kind of performance related pay ? surely a difficult concept in a place where you are saying basically people can't be arised to turn up in the afternoon a lot of the time ?

Perhaps we will see some of those JFK style 'ask not what your Country can do for you, but what you can do for your Country' posters now unemployment has hit 27% under le crisis

Last edited by jennieJ; May 21st 2013 at 9:21 am.
Old May 21st 2013, 9:30 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jennieJ
So how do you do that in a Country with a pretty low work ethic over a split day then ?

Are you suggesting some kind of performance related pay ? surely a difficult concept in a place where you are saying basically people can't be arised to turn up in the afternoon a lot of the time ?

Perhaps we will see some of those JFK style 'ask not what your Country can do for you, but what you can do for your Country' posters now unemployment has hit 27% under le crisis
I can see that going down well.

It seems that the best thing they can do for their country at present, is to leave their country behind and work elsewhere, even if only to improve the Govts jobless figures.

Yes, a bit cynical I know, but it is happening.
Old May 21st 2013, 9:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

I've worked in Spain for 6 years now. Spanish people dont have a low work ethic at all. That is little more than British bigotry

But they do value their days off
Old May 21st 2013, 9:49 am

are you talking about Spain or the UK - the country where workers are continually taking fag and coffee breaks, more evident now smoking is banned from the workplace that when you turn round to ask a colleague to take a call meant for them and OOPPSS there aren't there.

they are allocated smoking areas but like good British workers just drop their leavings on the floor next to the provided metal bin. they take their coffee cups but leave them on the floor as well, the grounds staining the floor.

they arrive late in the morning - well doesn't everyone know that traffic is bad (but they managed to get in on time). Go shopping at lunchtime knowing full well they can't get back in time - but look at this I got in the sales!!. Leave early because they have to get to the shops. Manage to book a holiday where the flight gets back at 2am so take 2 days off sick to recover.

I could go on but you get the trend...............
(and could probably add a few of your own)
Old May 21st 2013, 9:56 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

I disagree with you on this. The Spanish people that I know have a very strong work ethic and work very hard. When we had the electrician in to put in new wiring we commented to him about the hours that he put in and the fact that he worked fast and did not stand around looking at the work. His reply was that it was necessary, normal and that if he did not complete his work in the timescale that he did he could not earn sufficient for his family.

As for not turning up in the afternoon this is a myth most of them work from
8 am to 1 or 2 pm then have a long lunch break and begin again at 4 or 5 pm and work until 8 or 9 pm.

Rosemary
Old May 21st 2013, 10:27 am
BE Enthusiast

jennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Domino
are you talking about Spain or the UK - the country where workers are continually taking fag and coffee breaks, more evident now smoking is banned from the workplace that when you turn round to ask a colleague to take a call meant for them and OOPPSS there aren't there.

they are allocated smoking areas but like good British workers just drop their leavings on the floor next to the provided metal bin. they take their coffee cups but leave them on the floor as well, the grounds staining the floor.

they arrive late in the morning - well doesn't everyone know that traffic is bad (but they managed to get in on time). Go shopping at lunchtime knowing full well they can't get back in time - but look at this I got in the sales!!. Leave early because they have to get to the shops. Manage to book a holiday where the flight gets back at 2am so take 2 days off sick to recover.

I could go on but you get the trend...............
(and could probably add a few of your own)
Not really as the place I worked for the last 20 years the odd smoker that was left got two ten min (unpaid) 'fag breaks' one in mid-morning and one mid-afternoon, and had to stay till 5.20 instead of leaving at 5 to make up the time.

Not sure the kind of places you worked though. Smoking isn't allowed anywhere inside UK workplaces anymore so I'm not sure how there can be fag ash round bins.

Went in to do some consultancy and the only bins left were split into, 'plastics' 'paper' ' 'general' so full recycling could be complied with. There wasn't one labelled 'dog ends' nor any fag ash to be seen.
Old May 21st 2013, 10:30 am

Not really as the place I worked for the last 20 years the odd smoker that was left got two ten min (unpaid) 'fag breaks' one in mid-morning and one mid-afternoon, and had to stay till 5.20 instead of leaving at 5 to make up the time.

Not sure the kind of places you worked though. Smoking isn't allowed anywhere inside UK workplaces anymore so I'm not sure how there can be fag ash round bins.

Went in to do some consultancy and the only bins left were split into, 'plastics' 'paper' ' 'general' so full recycling could be complied with. There wasn't one labelled 'dog ends' nor any fag ash to be seen.
obviously you misread my post
Old May 21st 2013, 10:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Domino
obviously you misread my post
Apologies not 100% today

I get mixed up with who we are talking about sometimes, I am a bit new here also have not needed to work in Spain, due to now knocking on a bit.

Last edited by jennieJ; May 21st 2013 at 10:34 am.
Old May 21st 2013, 10:33 am

Apologies not 100% today
everyone is allowed a little leeway - but you may have noticed NOT on BE-S
Old May 21st 2013, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by Rosemary
I disagree with you on this. The Spanish people that I know have a very strong work ethic and work very hard. When we had the electrician in to put in new wiring we commented to him about the hours that he put in and the fact that he worked fast and did not stand around looking at the work. His reply was that it was necessary, normal and that if he did not complete his work in the timescale that he did he could not earn sufficient for his family.

As for not turning up in the afternoon this is a myth most of them work from
8 am to 1 or 2 pm then have a long lunch break and begin again at 4 or 5 pm and work until 8 or 9 pm.

Rosemary
totally agree with you Rosemary.
we have a Ford dealership by us and the guys work 9-2 + 4-9 for 5 days a week and sometimes on a Sat morning, especially during the olive season as it is important to the area that they keep the machinery working, no matter whose badge is on the front.

and they also have the only "proper" spray booth in the area complete with extraction, heat sealing etc so get a lot of insurance work. The quality of the work they do is really good.

its the first place ever that I have seen a puncture repaired on the wheel !

`
Old May 21st 2013, 10:51 am
BE Enthusiast

pete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosemary
I disagree with you on this. The Spanish people that I know have a very strong work ethic and work very hard.
I think it's necessary to recognise that there is a full spectrum of work ethics in Spain, just like there is in the UK, Germany, America and pretty much everywhere else.

It's been my experience that people who work for themselves generally make the connection between the amount of effort they put in and the amount of money they make. Office workers, shop assistants and a lot of desk-bound individuals, working for "the man" frequently have little incentive (irrespective of the country they live in) to put in much effort, as their pay is not directly connected to how well they do their jobs. Obviously there is sometimes a link between workers' effectiveness en-masse and whether their company survives, but that's a subtlety that is often lost on individuals in big companies.

However it must be said that the countries that have the most economic success tend to be the ones where the employees of large companies achieve more in a day, than similar employees in large companies in other countries. Whether that's down to the individuals' attitudes, the quality of the management, the ease of starting & running and entrepreneurial operation, the investment in skills and equipment or the educational level of the staff is debatable. I expect it's a bit of all of those. Though I can't see how doing a few hours work, then going home and then coming back again for a few hours more is the best way to organise a working day.

Last edited by pete_l; May 21st 2013 at 10:56 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.