Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spain urged to change its long hours and late night culture

Spain urged to change its long hours and late night culture

Old May 18th 2013, 2:29 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Spain urged to change its long hours and late night culture

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/world...ture-1.1396723

I can't say I agree with much of this. Part of the appeal of Spain to many tourists is its siesta and its late night party culture. Companies can already work the jornada intensiva if they want to stop this - indeed many companies in Madrid already do that in the summer season.
And quite what the kick-off time for a football match has to do with anything beats me
Agree that " presentismo" needs to be addressed - but you see that all too often in other countries too. People who spend all day on Facebook instead of working - what shall we do with them?
Old May 18th 2013, 3:00 pm
Just Joined

BritishJustice is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Spain urged to change its long hours and late night culture

On of the things that I love about Spain is that you can go out and eat in the mid/late evening (not worrying about 18:00 closing times, for example), often seated outside and surrounded by lighting, with people passing by and there's no hassles.

To remove that, would not be a positive for me.
Old May 18th 2013, 4:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

The problem is that Spain is closed for much of the time the rest of Europe is working.

Not good for business or the economy.
Old May 18th 2013, 5:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

olivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond repute

I'm torn on the issue.

On the one hand it infuriates the hell out of me that once we are on the road the clock is ticking before everywhere closes. Little wonder that the shoppers in supermarkets are all Brits during the siesta. Before anyone says it "you could stay out all day, have a meal and then recommence shopping". No thanks.

However I have surprised myself by slipping easily into the siesta culture. In the summer it is so damn hot you don't sleep properly(regardless of what contraption you use to try and keep cool). So you get up anearly and get what you can get done in the "cool" of the day. Then crash out during siesta time. Then gradually come round and it is so hot all you can do is hide indoors or go to a bar and relax. Eating - no appetite till ten. The Spanish meal times here in the South make sense. I never thought I would change but when in Spain does as the Spanish.

What can change is the attitude to work.

Our larder fridge went faulty. Can you repair it? Yes, bring it in and we willa ssess and call you with an estimate. Took it the next day. A week passes. I ring. Have you done the estimate(perhaps they have lost the phone number). Err no. " we have been really busy and also had family problems. You give us a ring next week or call in and see what (IF0 anything is happening. "Manana culture.

There are several issues here.
What is good for International business
What is good for tourists
What is good for residents

The Liga probably kicks off late to avoid the heat. That makes sense to me.
Old May 18th 2013, 5:13 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Its one of the things I love about Mediterranean countries, it sets them out from the Northern European rain dodgers and without it they would just be the same as everyone else in Europe!
Old May 18th 2013, 6:46 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

"Spain urged to change its long hours and late night culture"

What absolute nonsense.

They may as well stand on the shore and tell the tide not to come in.

Not so long ago they were going to put the block on the black economy and we can all see how well that worked out.

This govt is away with the fairies if it thinks it can change the whole culture and lifestyle of the Spanish people.
It didn't change much under Franco so I don't see Rajoy and his advisors having any hope with this one.

I don't see late night partying as the major problem as mostly they are not before working days.

Changing the Fiesta long weekend culture is a totally different kettle of fish.
It continued under Francos rule mainly because of the religious connections and I don't see it changing anytime soon, no matter how desperate the economic situation may be.

As for Siestas, though less than before, they are still widely practiced and at certain times and places with good reason, so although they may reduce further, I don't see them being completely phased out any time soon, if at all.
Old May 18th 2013, 6:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

jennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to behold

I also hope it doesn't change it's one of the things I love about Spain, even though it can be frustrating in other respects. Everywhere will become homogenous and boring if things like this are eradicated. Seems that City's that are involved in commerce have the option to choose anyway which is probably the only area it really matters in terms of conducting International Buisness.
Old May 18th 2013, 7:15 pm
Banned

notacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of light

I just think it's potty you can't buy a bucket of paint in the afternoon.
Old May 18th 2013, 7:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Retired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by olivefarmer
I'm torn on the issue.

On the one hand it infuriates the hell out of me that once we are on the road the clock is ticking before everywhere closes. Little wonder that the shoppers in supermarkets are all Brits during the siesta. Before anyone says it "you could stay out all day, have a meal and then recommence shopping". No thanks.

However I have surprised myself by slipping easily into the siesta culture. In the summer it is so damn hot you don't sleep properly(regardless of what contraption you use to try and keep cool). So you get up anearly and get what you can get done in the "cool" of the day. Then crash out during siesta time. Then gradually come round and it is so hot all you can do is hide indoors or go to a bar and relax. Eating - no appetite till ten. The Spanish meal times here in the South make sense. I never thought I would change but when in Spain does as the Spanish.

What can change is the attitude to work.

Our larder fridge went faulty. Can you repair it? Yes, bring it in and we willa ssess and call you with an estimate. Took it the next day. A week passes. I ring. Have you done the estimate(perhaps they have lost the phone number). Err no. " we have been really busy and also had family problems. You give us a ring next week or call in and see what (IF0 anything is happening. "Manana culture.

There are several issues here.
What is good for International business
What is good for tourists
What is good for residents

The Liga probably kicks off late to avoid the heat. That makes sense to me.
It's not that they work longer hours; just different ones to northern Europe. Long may there be a difference.

The Spanish account for their geographical difference & adjust accordingly; having said that, don't assume that all of Spain is like Andalucia. Yes, it can get hot in the north of Spain, but not unbearable like the south. Hence, a different work ethic. But many shops still open at 10.00, frustratingly!

As for the Liga starting late, I put it down more to TV customising its broadcasting according to when people eat, not because of the heat necessarily. As per cinema start times or even restaurants.
Old May 18th 2013, 8:55 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

As a non-worker never minded the Spanish working hours. Would hate to be a worker doing two rush hours around Malaga...like working 2 days in one. I know some who work 9.30 -2 and return 4- 8.30. Others work even later. Ok. for the funcionarios and some health service workers who work 8-3and finish.
Old May 18th 2013, 9:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

dorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond repute

I love being able to go shopping at about four in the afternoon... no one on the roads and no one in the supermarkets,... and if I don't need to go shopping... I can have a kip on the sun lounger... win win for me... please don't change the siesta hours...
Old May 18th 2013, 9:44 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dorishaslop
I love being able to go shopping at about four in the afternoon... no one on the roads and no one in the supermarkets,... and if I don't need to go shopping... I can have a kip on the sun lounger... win win for me... please don't change the siesta hours...
Does me nicely too Doris, for both.

First I have my Siesta, then there's still plenty of time to nip down the Supermarket and have it almost to myself for an hour or so before the rush starts, if needs be.

The Spanish being such creatures of habit can have advantages for others.
Old May 19th 2013, 6:32 am
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
As a non-worker never minded the Spanish working hours. Would hate to be a worker doing two rush hours around Malaga...like working 2 days in one. I know some who work 9.30 -2 and return 4- 8.30. Others work even later. Ok. for the funcionarios and some health service workers who work 8-3and finish.
I know people who work those hours too in northern Spain, but as they work too far away to go home for lunch, they have to eat out everyday.

Also although some parts of Spain have the Med climate, most regions donĀ“t, and so sitting on a nice terrace to fill in the time till the return to work is not an option.

These working hours may seem OK from an outsider point of view, but for the people who actually work them it is not so ideal, especially for folks who live in the colder wetter parts of Spain.

In fact for a large part of the year they live an" English" sort of working life, they leave home in the dark and return home in the dark.
Old May 19th 2013, 7:27 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Around here, the local workers start at 8:00 at the local bars. at about 10:00 they all seem to dissipate. I can't say they are drinking, but no doubt they are on working time. At 13:00 they are back at the bar till 16:30 or 17:00 and then back to work till about 7:30 or 8:00. You can assume nothing will be done or nobody will ever show up for an appointment between 13:00 to 17:00.

I had a guy come to trim a palm tree a few weeks back. He showed up with 3 people. 2 of them stood around and watched while the third guy did the work. I had to pay for all 3 of them. When I asked why 3 persons if 1 person can do the job, they said "es no Alemania, es Espana" (Apparently assuming I am German).

So it seems to me they may actually be productive maybe 6-7 hours per day, if that much, although they may spend up to 10 hours "on the job", requiring 2-3 people to do the work of one.
Old May 19th 2013, 7:29 am
On the road again.

Originally Posted by me me

In fact for a large part of the year they live an" English" sort of working life, they leave home in the dark and return home in the dark.
That's true throughout much of Spain for much of the year, though no doubt those with cushy jobs around the town hall and such have a much easier time of it finishing earlier.

It's OK I suppose for those working within very easy reach of their homes and able to have a proper Siesta, but for others it must be a bit of a drag really, so no chance of late night partying on working days.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.