Spain or UK

Old Apr 3rd 2011, 1:48 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spain or UK

Originally Posted by dotdarling
Thanks to everyone for the steady supply of info and opinions.
Budsturga: It's good to hear the info about Dutch speakers (I kind of knew that the Dutch prefer to hire other Dutch speakers) If you do have any contacts that would be really helpful and appreciated. Do you get the feeling that there is resentment from the Spanish labour force directed at immigrants "taking" their jobs? Or foreign business owners hiring non-Spanish people?
It's also nice to hear from people in different areas of Spain. I don't want to give the impression that we just wish to move to Spain to have more sunshine. Although my husband does not yet speak Spanish (just English, Dutch, German and some French) he would try to learn it as quickly as possible and not assume that everyone could just speak English or Dutch with him. I've been trying to tutor him a bit (although my Spanish is a bit rusty).
Its also good to hear (for a chef anyway) that chef jobs seem to be the main vacancies being posted at the moment. Being a true head chef is not just about cooking, it's managing staff, GP, supplies, costing etc. And its hard work. My OH is still behind the fires in the kitchen and does all the rest too (quite often from home).
He's already heard from 3 different restaurant owners in Spain that if he was already there they would hire him and once he is to let them know. I guess that is a positive sign. I just worry that if we wait until our daughter finishes this school year (end of June) that most of the vacancies will already be filled.
Could it not be possible for your husband to come to Spain alone, start his job, and you stay with your daughter untill school finishes for the summer?
Old Apr 3rd 2011, 7:44 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Budsturga
Is there any other way for pleople to work???????
As far as I know you need a contract and you have to pay ss, and your taxes.
What´s your problem? What exactly in what I wrote sugests he´s working on the black???? I know I need to improve my english writting skills but you should work your reading skills....
If you´re really good in what you do, you´ll have a job.
Calm down, no problem with my reading skills thanks, it`s just very unusual for any foreigner in the construction trade to have a contract as it costs the employer too much.
Old Apr 3rd 2011, 10:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

twistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS
In my experience, a head chef needs language ablility, as his duties are very varied.

Or are we taliking about a "head chef" of the chef in charge, if you know what I mean.

Because the job description of "head chef" is more finance, budjet, keeping inventory, sourcing, menu planning, instructing, negociating with suppliers, shouting out the customers orders etc.

the actual cooking is secondary, and delegated to the rest of the chefs.

This link is a good description of duties.

http://www.ehow.com/about_4687736_jo...head-chef.html
Kitchens don't work to ehow.com descriptions, they work on the number of staff the reputation demands.
A head chef is employed for one reason only and that is there ability to cook, no one is going to turn down a top chef due to language, head chefs have an international language all of their own which they use with much gusto and you have to get to learn it pretty quickly.
Given the OPs description of her hubbys ability I still maintain that language will not be an issue and that he will find work, which is the main thing here.
All the best to OP and family whatever you choose.
Old Apr 4th 2011, 6:40 am
Just Joined

Budsturga is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jdr
Calm down, no problem with my reading skills thanks, it`s just very unusual for any foreigner in the construction trade to have a contract as it costs the employer too much.
It costs justs exactly the same for an employer to have a foreigner in contract or a national. So what´s the diference?
Old Apr 4th 2011, 9:10 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Spanish business methods are, unfortunately, especially in a recession, quite a bit different to the UK. National Insurance costs are high and an employer can save a lot of money by employing part time rather than full time staff. It’s common practise to show someone as working only ten hours a week rather than the standard forty.

Foreign labour should cost the same as Spanish labour, but the former are much easier to get rid off should the business run into trouble.

If a business, say a restaurant, employ six staff, they will not all be on full contracts, it’s just the way things are.

Even top local restaurants are now producing menus del dia at under 10 Euros, it doesn’t leave much of a profit margin for the owners.
Old Apr 4th 2011, 10:32 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by twistedmelon
head chefs have an international language all of their own
Take Ramsay for example - he manages with only 3 words and they all begin with F.
Old Apr 4th 2011, 3:11 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Budsturga
It costs justs exactly the same for an employer to have a foreigner in contract or a national. So what´s the diference?
I mean they don`t usually give them contracts.
Old Apr 4th 2011, 3:15 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by HBG
Spanish business methods are, unfortunately, especially in a recession, quite a bit different to the UK. National Insurance costs are high and an employer can save a lot of money by employing part time rather than full time staff. It’s common practise to show someone as working only ten hours a week rather than the standard forty.

Foreign labour should cost the same as Spanish labour, but the former are much easier to get rid off should the business run into trouble.

If a business, say a restaurant, employ six staff, they will not all be on full contracts, it’s just the way things are.

Even top local restaurants are now producing menus del dia at under 10 Euros, it doesn’t leave much of a profit margin for the owners.
Spot on.