Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

SPAIN: The real cost of living here

SPAIN: The real cost of living here

Old Feb 24th 2004, 6:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute
Default SPAIN: The real cost of living here

does anyone know of any websites outlining a typical shopping list comparing countries ? say a standard grocery list bought in different countries, and how much it all costs?

it´d be interesting to find out for sure, cos to be honest i dont think that spain is that cheap any more, not even inland i just wondered like, its not for any thing other than for me to look at
Old Feb 25th 2004, 6:32 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Go back to England, and buy some stuff there , you will soon change your mind.
You wont get a Sunday roast there for 5 €
Old Mar 3rd 2004, 1:16 pm
Forum Regular

XXPEBXX has a brilliant futureXXPEBXX has a brilliant futureXXPEBXX has a brilliant futureXXPEBXX has a brilliant futureXXPEBXX has a brilliant futureXXPEBXX has a brilliant futureXXPEBXX has a brilliant future

If you are really interested in UK stats try looking at www.statistics.gov.uk/

You could spend an evening reading about all the latest facts and figures :lecture:

Drug poisoning lowest since 1995
GPD growth
Jack & Emily most popular names
Consumer prices up 1.4% ( not sure for year or for the week )
Marriages up 2%
Family spending £406 per week ( how far would that go in Spain ....) :scared:

I'm sure the Spanish Government must have a similair web site . Your task- if you accept it- is to find it ( Mission Impossible )

Old Mar 6th 2004, 1:32 pm
Very Old Member!

ScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud of
Default Costa Living in Spain

So it costs £406 per week to live in UK! A recent thread in andalucia.com revealed that it costs a family of two, with one car, 230€ per week, inc. entertainment and holidays, to live in Andalucia (and that's not the cheapest area in Spain!). OK so that's without children, but I don't think I'll be packing my winter woolies and snow tyres and rushing north just yet.

Seriously I have found costs rising but, if you avoid the overpriced tourist location, it's not so bad. Even Marbella has some real bargains - off the main streets.......

Now if you play golf here then you have to be VERY careful, or take out a second mortgage.

Old Mar 6th 2004, 2:21 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Costa Living in Spain

Originally posted by ScotinSpain
So it costs £406 per week to live in UK! A recent thread in andalucia.com revealed that it costs a family of two, with one car, 230€ per week, inc. entertainment and holidays, to live in Andalucia (and that's not the cheapest area in Spain!). OK so that's without children, but I don't think I'll be packing my winter woolies and snow tyres and rushing north just yet.

Seriously I have found costs rising but, if you avoid the overpriced tourist location, it's not so bad. Even Marbella has some real bargains - off the main streets.......

Now if you play golf here then you have to be VERY careful, or take out a second mortgage.

You have hit the nail on the head, if you want cheap Spain go where the Spanish go and not the tourists.
Menu of the day in a Spanish bar etc...
Old Mar 6th 2004, 5:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

Think that applies anywhere. Always follow the local. If you think that the average Spanish earns approx 800 euros a month or less, they seem to live and party well and they always seem to have the whole family around for meals.

If you want British food then youre pay British prices, same goes for the bars.

Originally posted by jdr
You have hit the nail on the head, if you want cheap Spain go where the Spanish go and not the tourists.
Menu of the day in a Spanish bar etc...
Old Mar 6th 2004, 11:07 pm
Just Joined

deedee26 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: SPAIN: The real cost of living here

Originally posted by bfg69bug
does anyone know of any websites outlining a typical shopping list comparing countries ? say a standard grocery list bought in different countries, and how much it all costs?

it´d be interesting to find out for sure, cos to be honest i dont think that spain is that cheap any more, not even inland i just wondered like, its not for any thing other than for me to look at
This website: www.spanishpropertyworld.com/living_in_spain.htm probably won't answer all your questions, but it does have some useful information and touches on the cost of living in Spain.
Old Mar 8th 2004, 10:17 am
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Mercedes
Think that applies anywhere. Always follow the local. If you think that the average Spanish earns approx 800 euros a month or less, they seem to live and party well and they always seem to have the whole family around for meals.

If you want British food then youre pay British prices, same goes for the bars.

so what about the spanish people who earn 800 euro a month and dont pay any rent? the houses that are handed down in the family? what about the spanish that earn 800 euro a month and theres 6 people living in the same house...so thats a household income of nearly 5k a month...no wonder they can afford a second house by the beach and a new car for their children...

yeah if i wanted english food i would go to lidl, buy it and cook it at home
Old Mar 8th 2004, 11:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

Well the ones I know earning that live on their own, or are supporting a wife and child......

We wont mention the fact that the foreigners who have second home here have priced a great deal of the Spanish out of even being able to afford a house.

If its too expensive for you here, go back to UK.

so what about the spanish people who earn 800 euro a month and dont pay any rent? the houses that are handed down in the family? what about the spanish that earn 800 euro a month and theres 6 people living in the same house...so thats a household income of nearly 5k a month...no wonder they can afford a second house by the beach and a new car for their children...

yeah if i wanted english food i would go to lidl, buy it and cook it at home
Old Mar 9th 2004, 10:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by Mercedes
Well the ones I know earning that live on their own, or are supporting a wife and child......

We wont mention the fact that the foreigners who have second home here have priced a great deal of the Spanish out of even being able to afford a house.

If its too expensive for you here, go back to UK.
i agree with u entirely, but that wasn´t the point, was it ??

it is getting too expensive, due to the euro and the false economy created by the influx of foriegners and their credit cards...

i´d love to go back to the uk...
Old Mar 9th 2004, 10:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Okay some of it was tongue in cheek , Too be honest I find England expensive, I was tossing up between buying in UK and down here in Spain, I got a better house here, and saved 50 grand by buying here, and got great sea and mountain views and its quiet where I am, but not too far from where its happening. My outgoings are certainly much cheaper than they would have been in the UK. I prefer the lifestyle here also.

But there are more people moving down here which in turn generates more opportunity of making money. But most of my work is generated overseas, so I get paid in sterling, or dollars and get the best of both worlds, so I guess I'm lucky in that I get the best of both worlds.

Anyway if you go back to UK, best of luck.
M.

i agree with u entirely, but that wasn´t the point, was it ??

it is getting too expensive, due to the euro and the false economy created by the influx of foriegners and their credit cards...

i´d love to go back to the uk...
Old Mar 26th 2004, 4:59 pm
Just Joined

cyprus steve is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Try North Cyprus

Have a look at our link on moving to North Cyprus

http://groups.msn.com/NorthernCyprus...strncinfo.msnw

If you require any help at all,

HOLIDAYS, RENTING A CAR, BUYING LAND OR A HOME in Northern Cyprus, Please email us for INDEPENDANT advise, We are NOT linked to any agency what so ever.

We will do our best to help you
Old Mar 27th 2004, 7:58 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Default Re: Try North Cyprus

Originally posted by cyprus steve
Have a look at our link on moving to North Cyprus

http://groups.msn.com/NorthernCyprus...strncinfo.msnw

If you require any help at all,

HOLIDAYS, RENTING A CAR, BUYING LAND OR A HOME in Northern Cyprus, Please email us for INDEPENDANT advise, We are NOT linked to any agency what so ever.

We will do our best to help you
Why not start another thread, you will get more readers
Old Mar 30th 2004, 4:37 pm
Just Joined

conor is an unknown quantity at this point

Check out www.spanishpropertyworld.com/ cost_of_living_in_spain.htm or http://www.esmoz.com/living-in-spain...g_in_spain.htm They look pretty good to me
Old Aug 21st 2004, 8:15 pm
Just Joined

simbor is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: SPAIN: The real cost of living here

i think i saw one by going through the costablancanews site?

i know i have seen a couple of others so they are out there

good luck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.