Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spain and ecommerce - a positive trend

Spain and ecommerce - a positive trend

Old Dec 1st 2010, 4:57 pm
  #31  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Aracena area Huelva Spain
Posts: 1,631
angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spain and ecommerce - a positive trend

Originally Posted by cricketman
Spain is already the world leader in green energy - and Spanish companies have recently won a load of important contracts in the US.

Spain has a lot of car manufacturing, but that isnt particularly competitive I agree. But then Spain has never been a manufacturing powerhouse like Germany or like the UK used to be. Spanish banks are still some of the most stable in the world, no government bailouts yet! Though there is some risk that the property crash will catch them out.

Agriculture and farming is very important in Spain, both at the mass produced (think supplying UK supermarkets) and upper end level (quality olive oils, jamon ibericos, dried fruits, wine etc).

Remember tourism accounts for only 10% of the Spanish economy, about the same as in London.

I do agree with your post though, in that the Spanish economy needs to become more innovative, but it actually has been changing over the past 10 years or so. Brits often dont realise this because they dont work in Spanish companies and often dont live in Spanish cities (and very often dont consume Spanish media).
I have a Spanish friend who is a solar installer. They still buy panels from China and controllers from China and the US.
I forgot to mention how (generalisation of course) very 'pants' Spanish websites are. All Flash Flashy and no substance. Not searchable on ipods and smartphones and really tedious to use on any platform. That can't help either. I know this will change over the next few years but it's really held ecommerce back too.
angiescarr is offline  
Old Dec 1st 2010, 5:15 pm
  #32  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 7,749
cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spain and ecommerce - a positive trend

Originally Posted by angiescarr
I have a Spanish friend who is a solar installer. They still buy panels from China and controllers from China and the US.
I forgot to mention how (generalisation of course) very 'pants' Spanish websites are. All Flash Flashy and no substance. Not searchable on ipods and smartphones and really tedious to use on any platform. That can't help either. I know this will change over the next few years but it's really held ecommerce back too.
Spain is the leader is the USE of green energy, not in the manufacture of equipment.

Yes I agree with the websites, all Spanish websites seem to use flash, and flash isnt user friendly imo. Spanish web designers seem to be more graphic designers than coders.

I'm redesigning a website at the moment to be web 2.0 and I'm using Indians. Nice and cheap! And they dont mind putting the hours in
cricketman is offline  
Old Dec 1st 2010, 5:47 pm
  #33  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Aracena area Huelva Spain
Posts: 1,631
angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spain and ecommerce - a positive trend

Originally Posted by cricketman
Spain is the leader is the USE of green energy, not in the manufacture of equipment.

Yes I agree with the websites, all Spanish websites seem to use flash, and flash isnt user friendly imo. Spanish web designers seem to be more graphic designers than coders.

I'm redesigning a website at the moment to be web 2.0 and I'm using Indians. Nice and cheap! And they dont mind putting the hours in
B****** (That was my first expletive) ;-) My husband can't find work in this field because of certain cheap labour groups. He speaks better Spanish than most of them do English. But they can 'bullshit' (ill let that stay because it's a discriptive) better than him.
angiescarr is offline  
Old Dec 1st 2010, 6:13 pm
  #34  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 7,749
cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spain and ecommerce - a positive trend

Originally Posted by angiescarr
B****** (That was my first expletive) ;-) My husband can't find work in this field because of certain cheap labour groups. He speaks better Spanish than most of them do English. But they can 'bullshit' (ill let that stay because it's a discriptive) better than him.
I'm not sure what you object to here, that I say Spanish website designers seem to be more graphic designers than coders, or that you dont like that I've used Indian web designers?

If its for using Indians then why shouldnt I use them? They do good work and are very good value. They are very well educated and well mannered. The important thing as that you project manage them well.

I make a living through clients all over the world so I see no reason not to use the services from people all over the world too.
cricketman is offline  
Old Dec 1st 2010, 6:58 pm
  #35  
Not Banned (yet)
Thread Starter
 
steviedeluxe's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Madrid
Posts: 6,400
steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spain and ecommerce - a positive trend

If its for using Indians then why shouldnt I use them? They do good work and are very good value.
They had a reputation 10-15 years ago for being well-trained and good workers. However companies got greedy and employed too many, merely because they were seen as cheap, and the quality nose-dived. The real ace IT workers currently come from Eastern Europe, but I'm sure that will change again in the future.
steviedeluxe is offline  
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 5:08 pm
  #36  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Aracena area Huelva Spain
Posts: 1,631
angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spain and ecommerce - a positive trend

Originally Posted by cricketman
I'm not sure what you object to here, that I say Spanish website designers seem to be more graphic designers than coders, or that you dont like that I've used Indian web designers?

If its for using Indians then why shouldnt I use them? They do good work and are very good value. They are very well educated and well mannered. The important thing as that you project manage them well.

I make a living through clients all over the world so I see no reason not to use the services from people all over the world too.
:-) It's only because my business is being sacked by the Chinese, and My husband's is being sacked by Indians. I have no objection to any of them making a living. It's just that we're personally suffering at both ends. As is Britain from cheaper goods and services from abroad.
On the other hand we're all having to buy Chinese goods as most people are because we can't pay for British anymore. Having lost our economy/jobs that is. Presumably it's for similar reasons that you're employing cheaper workers.
On the other hand the expletives were an instant reaction and in good humour. I remember my smileys are usually hand typed and so don't appear properly.
angiescarr is offline  
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 5:12 pm
  #37  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Aracena area Huelva Spain
Posts: 1,631
angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spain and ecommerce - a positive trend

Originally Posted by angiescarr
:-) It's only because my business is being sacked by the Chinese, and My husband's is being sacked by Indians. I have no objection to any of them making a living. It's just that we're personally suffering at both ends. As is Britain from cheaper goods and services from abroad.
On the other hand we're all having to buy Chinese goods as most people are because we can't pay for British anymore. Having lost our economy/jobs that is. Presumably it's for similar reasons that you're employing cheaper workers.
On the other hand the expletives were an instant reaction and in good humour. I remember my smileys are usually hand typed and so don't appear properly.
Oh Sorry, I agree that Spanish website designers are more graphic designers. My husband is a coder. Not being the most pushy guy, although extremely good at what he does, he started looking for work on Elance.
It seems that everything goes to the indians so you can't even get one project to get started on earning a reputation.
angiescarr is offline  
Old Dec 4th 2010, 5:28 pm
  #38  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 5,368
agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spain and ecommerce - a positive trend

Originally Posted by agoreira
and your latest little spat started because I said someone reckons Germany could possibly be the first to leave the euro..
Germany leave? Unthinkable.

Angela Merkel warned that Germany could abandon the euro.
The German chancellor, Angela Merkel, has warned for the first time that her country could abandon the euro if she fails in her contested campaign to establish a new regime for the single currency, the Guardian has learned
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010...y-abandon-euro
agoreira is offline  
Old Dec 4th 2010, 8:17 pm
  #39  
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Alicante province
Posts: 5,753
HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spain and ecommerce - a positive trend

Originally Posted by agoreira
Germany is the only country that could leave the Euro and survive, because of its strong original currency. I’m salivating at the prospect, totally selfishly of course.

I don’t think it will happen but if it does, I’ll be rich. Most of my income comes from the UK and if Spain returned to the Peseta it would have to devalue immediately and my pound would be worth something like 500 Pesetas on day one, and much higher as time goes by.

Is it the QE3 now? Whatever it’s called, I’ll be booking a cruise.
HBG is offline  
Old Dec 4th 2010, 9:43 pm
  #40  
On the road again.
 
Dick Dasterdly's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: On Top of the World
Posts: 17,507
Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spain and ecommerce - a positive trend

Originally Posted by HBG
Germany is the only country that could leave the Euro and survive, because of its strong original currency. I’m salivating at the prospect, totally selfishly of course.

I don’t think it will happen but if it does, I’ll be rich. Most of my income comes from the UK and if Spain returned to the Peseta it would have to devalue immediately and my pound would be worth something like 500 Pesetas on day one, and much higher as time goes by.

Is it the QE3 now? Whatever it’s called, I’ll be booking a cruise.
Oh, Happy days, bring back the peseta, I'm all for it.
Dick Dasterdly is offline  
Old Dec 5th 2010, 9:40 am
  #41  
Not Banned (yet)
Thread Starter
 
steviedeluxe's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Madrid
Posts: 6,400
steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spain and ecommerce - a positive trend

Originally Posted by HBG
Germany is the only country that could leave the Euro and survive, because of its strong original currency. I’m salivating at the prospect, totally selfishly of course.

I don’t think it will happen but if it does, I’ll be rich. Most of my income comes from the UK and if Spain returned to the Peseta it would have to devalue immediately and my pound would be worth something like 500 Pesetas on day one, and much higher as time goes by.

Is it the QE3 now? Whatever it’s called, I’ll be booking a cruise.
You're assuming the UK deficit is lower than Spain's (it isn't). One consequence of the weakness of the pound over the last couple of years, is that the UK has been a large tourist destination for many Europeans, plus there has even been a comeback in manufacturing. Allow the pound to rise again would hit the UK economy hard - I'm not sure the government/BoE would want to allow much of a rise. Which may be another reason why the UK government is helping in the EU bailouts (well they're more like lending money to banks, so hopefully we get the money back).

More supportive words about the Spanish economy (this time from a leading German banker)
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-1...nageable-.html

The fundamental economic data “in no way justifies the apparent mistrust that exists in the case of Spain, though not only there,” Ackermann, who also heads the Institute of International Finance, a global industry group with more than 400 members, said yesterday in response to a request by Bloomberg News. “Spain can deal with its problems by itself.”
...
‘Dynamic Economy’

Spain “has a diversified, dynamic economy and the government deficit is relatively moderate,” Ackermann said. “The decisive economic reforms and a restructuring of public- sector financial institutions can soon return the country to a growth course.”
Of course, it all depends on whether vested interests within Spain (including the unions) can be overcome by necessary changes

Last edited by steviedeluxe; Dec 5th 2010 at 10:00 am. Reason: link
steviedeluxe is offline  
Old Dec 5th 2010, 11:18 am
  #42  
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Alicante province
Posts: 5,753
HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spain and ecommerce - a positive trend

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
You're assuming the UK deficit is lower than Spain's (it isn't). One consequence of the weakness of the pound over the last couple of years, is that the UK has been a large tourist destination for many Europeans, plus there has even been a comeback in manufacturing. Allow the pound to rise again would hit the UK economy hard - I'm not sure the government/BoE would want to allow much of a rise. Which may be another reason why the UK government is helping in the EU bailouts (well they're more like lending money to banks, so hopefully we get the money back).

More supportive words about the Spanish economy (this time from a leading German banker)
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-1...nageable-.html





Of course, it all depends on whether vested interests within Spain (including the unions) can be overcome by necessary changes

My wish for Spain to return to the Peseta is of course a purely selfish one and hardly likely to happen. Measured just against Spain, a strong pound wouldn’t matter too much, our manufactured exports coming in this direction are small.

But Spain would benefit from a weaker currency all round, the important tourist would benefit greatly, and perversely the Brits would come flooding back and buy up all those unsold houses.

I don’t have the figures, if they’re even available, but sense that there is a recently suppressed desire for Brits to return to Spain in great numbers. We have constant enquiries from family and friends asking what it’s like to come over. And they’re all aware of the horror stories in the British press and still they want to come.
HBG is offline  
Old Dec 5th 2010, 11:29 am
  #43  
Not Banned (yet)
Thread Starter
 
steviedeluxe's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Madrid
Posts: 6,400
steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spain and ecommerce - a positive trend

I don’t have the figures, if they’re even available, but sense that there is a recently suppressed desire for Brits to return to Spain in great numbers. We have constant enquiries from family and friends asking what it’s like to come over. And they’re all aware of the horror stories in the British press and still they want to come.
I think it's more a memory of 2 or 3 weeks in the sun without having to work, in these gloomy winter days of cold and intense work pressure. Plus maybe some are attracted by the idea of being able to work via the internet. As you're well aware, it's a totally different experience actually living there. Although I must admit I miss the free tapas, great transport (not yet been on the AVE but it's n my list) and the lifestyle. I don't miss having to be paranoid about pickpockets in Madrid though..

Last edited by steviedeluxe; Dec 5th 2010 at 11:31 am.
steviedeluxe is offline  
Old Dec 5th 2010, 12:44 pm
  #44  
BE Enthusiast
 
Econ's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Southern Spain
Posts: 773
Econ has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spain and ecommerce - a positive trend

Originally Posted by HBG
Spain has a terrible problem with its construction industry and unsold houses, but the highly lucrative tourist industry alone could see it through – the same Brits who talk the country down are still spending their holiday money here – complain all you like, folks, but keep coming over to spend your money, please.
Gosh, I don't think there is anything much that is very lucrative about the tourist industry here is the south at the moment, certainly not if you talk to business owners. Hotels, rent a car companies, bar owners etc. I think they would disagree... the ones that are left that is!

I have seen comments in the Spanish press reporting reasonable if not good tourist numbers coming here but even if that is true it does not necessarily help most of the businesses who survive off tourism. Unless prices in Spain drop considerably or there is a fairly large change in the GBP to EUR exchange rate then I can't see things getting much better here in the South, unless the tourist board find tourists coming from countries that find it cheap to come here.
Econ is offline  
Old Dec 5th 2010, 5:10 pm
  #45  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 5,368
agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spain and ecommerce - a positive trend

Originally Posted by Econ
I have seen comments in the Spanish press reporting reasonable if not good tourist numbers coming here but even if that is true it does not necessarily help most of the businesses who survive off tourism. Unless prices in Spain drop considerably or there is a fairly large change in the GBP to EUR exchange rate then I can't see things getting much better here in the South, unless the tourist board find tourists coming from countries that find it cheap to come here.
Agree, and as I think the man from Torre is referring to me, whereas we used to have three or four trips a year, sometimes up to a month at a time, this year we have had a total 2 weeks, and nothing booked at the moment. So my spend has gone from many thousands to next to nothing.
agoreira is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.