Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spain changes traffic laws

Spain changes traffic laws

Old Mar 21st 2014, 10:22 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spain changes traffic laws

Originally Posted by mikelincs
If this was a German or Norwegian forum, then I suspect you would see the same comments about their compatriots driving round in untaxed etc cars.
Possibly but from those I know I get the feeling they are less self-righteous and judgemental than the British.
Old Mar 21st 2014, 11:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Finally now living in Lo Marabu, Rojales, and it feels like home
andyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
If this was a German or Norwegian forum, then I suspect you would see the same comments about their compatriots driving round in untaxed etc cars.
The usual suspect appears to throw his 2 penneth in, another thing since I have been here in little brittain, I have yet to see a untaxed UK plated motor, There possibly is some and I am not sure legally if it has to have tax here, but mine is, its fully legal.
Old Mar 21st 2014, 11:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andyrich666
The usual suspect appears to throw his 2 penneth in, another thing since I have been here in little brittain, I have yet to see a untaxed UK plated motor, There possibly is some and I am not sure legally if it has to have tax here, but mine is, its fully legal.
You are joking Andy. There are loads here with tax expired years ago.
Old Mar 21st 2014, 11:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

andyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
You are joking Andy. There are loads here with tax expired years ago.
I don't know the exact law, lots of people have told me they don't need to be taxed and every occasion I have been stopped, the tax is not a issue,

I have spent a bit of this morning trawling the internet and it seems to sway in favour that you do not need to SORN your nor do you need to Pay VED if the car is not being driven on GB roads, I will contact the DVLA in the week for exact clarification.

PART V 62 defines –
“public road”— (a) in England and Wales and Northern Ireland, means a road which is repairable at the public expense, and
(b) in Scotland, has the same meaning as in the M1 Roads (Scotland) Act 1984,

Ignoring whatever actual wording exists for Scotland for the purposes of my query, I read this that the requirement for VED is only when on roads that fit the above definition which includes location, which must necessarily be in England, Wales, NI or Scotland only. Roads in other countries do not fulfil this condition.

So, using a UK registered vehicle without UK VED, outside of the UK, is not an offence under UK Vehicle Excise Law.
Old Mar 21st 2014, 11:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Adding on to this, just clocked this on facebooks orihuela costa buy and selll group

Just a warning to all English car drivers here in Spain,I got stopped last night by local police and actually had my car taken off me for having no road tax,careful peeps

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php...ref=ts&fref=ts
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 1:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Adding on to this, just clocked this on facebooks orihuela costa buy and selll group

Just a warning to all English car drivers here in Spain,I got stopped last night by local police and actually had my car taken off me for having no road tax,careful peeps

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php...ref=ts&fref=ts
Well that was an enjoyable half hour reading through the arguments!!!

What about this though?

Kellie Curtis As from the 1st of April you wont be able to get insurance for an English car here in spain. The laws are changing.

We could do with some official clarification that this is the case. It doesn´t affect me but would affect some friends who are insured on Brit plated cars - all with UK tax!!
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 1:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
Well that was an enjoyable half hour reading through the arguments!!!

What about this though?

Kellie Curtis As from the 1st of April you wont be able to get insurance for an English car here in spain. The laws are changing.

We could do with some official clarification that this is the case. It doesn´t affect me but would affect some friends who are insured on Brit plated cars - all with UK tax!!
That's for people in Spain who use a Spanish company to insure their car, which is beyond me, I really don't understand that, some people seem to think you can only get insurance for a UK plate motor in Spain, my car is covered fully comp here with a UK company, and regardless of the law she quotes it will be continued to do so. Its only 8 days away Ill look into it.
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 1:36 am
BE Forum Addict

That's for people in Spain who use a Spanish company to insure their car, which is beyond me, I really don't understand that, some people seem to think you can only get insurance for a UK plate motor in Spain, my car is covered fully comp here with a UK company, and regardless of the law she quotes it will be continued to do so. Its only 8 days away Ill look into it.
I am surprised that any Spanish company will insure a UK plated car anyway.
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 2:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

I was always of the belief that to drive a UK registered car in Spain it must have valid road tax and MOT from country of origin and valid insurance? I would myself think that many cops in Spain are not that up to date or wish to get too involved with foreign registered vehicles. However if they police a largely British or whatever expat area it will be in the interest of the local cops to know the full regulations to deal with possible offenders appropriately.
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 2:20 am
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute

Do you mean a "Spanish Based Company" like knights etc as a Spanish Company have never been able to insure a foreign plated vehicle.

My understanding of things is that any foreign plated car on the road "must" be legal in the country where it is registered, so a UK plated car will need to have (at the least) have a current (UK) M.O.T and insurance.

OPPS sorry I just noticed that you were quoting another thread, this ......
{Kellie Curtis As from the 1st of April you wont be able to get insurance for an English car here in spain. The laws are changing.}
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 2:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Neptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond repute

I see that there is now zero tolerance for driving with drugs in the system. That is to be welcomed, but why have they not taken the same stance with alcohol-It should always have been zero tolerance; alcohol affects different people in different ways, so it's better not to drink at all.the fines are 500 euros for first offence, 1000 for second.People will still drink and drive.
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 2:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Neptuno
I see that there is now zero tolerance for driving with drugs in the system. That is to be welcomed, but why have they not taken the same stance with alcohol-It should always have been zero tolerance; alcohol affects different people in different ways, so it's better not to drink at all.the fines are 500 euros for first offence, 1000 for second.People will still drink and drive.
Because they probably know people drink and drive all the time and they don't want to people to lose their licences, you can argue about it all day long but it seems a culture here, many will go out to watch the the classico tomorrow will have a drink and drive home.
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 2:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Neptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond repute

Because they probably know people drink and drive all the time and they don't want to people to lose their licences, you can argue about it all day long but it seems a culture here, many will go out to watch the the classico tomorrow will have a drink and drive home.
That's stupid! Never mind them losing their licences, think about those losing their lives!!
As for culture, it can change for the better eg smoking laws, although there's some way to go as the outside canopy laws are frequently abused.Just because people do these things doesn't make it acceptable.
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 4:04 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
I was always of the belief that to drive a UK registered car in Spain it must have valid road tax and MOT from country of origin and valid insurance? I would myself think that many cops in Spain are not that up to date or wish to get too involved with foreign registered vehicles. However if they police a largely British or whatever expat area it will be in the interest of the local cops to know the full regulations to deal with possible offenders appropriately.
Stricly speaking, to be legal it has to have a current road tax and MOT from it's country of registration not origin. When I lived on the Orihuela Costa, there were several UK card being driven with road tax discs many years out of date, and others with no tax disc, and I doubt that has changed much.
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 4:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes sorry my error meant country of registration, like I say I think a lot will get away with things because too difficult etc for local police, same happens in UK with Foreign registered vehicles. However if you are unlucky enough to live where a diligant police or Guardia officer is, they may well have taken the time to understand laws re foreign registered vehicles so they can deal with them correctly. As always down to the individual who may get away with flouting the law but if caught out well you then have to accept the consequences. Better to be legal would be my personal view less stress.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.