Reload this Page >

Spain for 6 months per year.

Spain for 6 months per year.

Old Feb 26th 2012, 5:05 pm
Account Closed

dragon5254 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Spain for 6 months per year.

Hi everyone

We are currently living in California, but are Australian/British passport holders.
Due to retire this year and are thinking about spending six months a year in Spain and 6 months in Australia. our plan would be to rent an apartment in Spain for that period. Was wondering if anyone had any ideas on which areas we should start looking in. We want to be close to the beach, reasonably priced and somewhere where we can enjoy the Spanish way of life. Had considered Ibiza (in some of the quieter areas) but it seems very expensive for rentals.

Your comments would be much appreciated.
Old Feb 26th 2012, 8:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spain for 6 months per year.

Originally Posted by dragon5254
Hi everyone

We are currently living in California, but are Australian/British passport holders.
Due to retire this year and are thinking about spending six months a year in Spain and 6 months in Australia. our plan would be to rent an apartment in Spain for that period. Was wondering if anyone had any ideas on which areas we should start looking in. We want to be close to the beach, reasonably priced and somewhere where we can enjoy the Spanish way of life. Had considered Ibiza (in some of the quieter areas) but it seems very expensive for rentals.

Your comments would be much appreciated.
Firstly, welcome! Please take the following in good faith...()
2nd.... Ok let's cut to the chase. What's close to the beach in your terms? 2 minute walk? 10 minute drive? Frontline? What's reasonably priced? 350€ a month including all bills? 1500 a month with bills on top? What's the Spanish way of life in your terms? Living in an area with no other foreigners and knowing you can speak the language fluently? Setting yourself up in the campo with an old house which will take your time for the next N years reforming it? Living in an expat 'ghetto' where the Spanish way of life is to ask for a cafe con leche every morning and that's the extent of your integration?
If you can come up with the answers to these, you are one step nearer a decision and we are maybe one step more able to advise you!
Old Feb 27th 2012, 12:54 am
Account Closed

Thanks for your reply.
Firstly, let me say that I speak reasonably good Spanish. I would like to be somewhere where it is not inundated with tourists. I would also like to have the opportunity of mingling with the Spanish locals. As for costs...We can afford about $1000 a month in rent but that would need to be furnished. I love the beach and so would love to be within about 20 minutes from the beach.
We were in Barcelona and Madrid last year and found Spain to be quite expensive, so don't know if it is possible. I have never been to the South of Spain but it looks lovely and Majorca in places looks very special, but I believe it is very expensive to live there. Anyway, any comments or ideas would be welcome. We intend going on a fact finding trip later this year.
Thanks.

Last edited by dragon5254; Feb 27th 2012 at 12:57 am.
Old Feb 27th 2012, 5:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your reply.
Firstly, let me say that I speak reasonably good Spanish. I would like to be somewhere where it is not inundated with tourists. I would also like to have the opportunity of mingling with the Spanish locals. As for costs...We can afford about $1000 a month in rent but that would need to be furnished. I love the beach and so would love to be within about 20 minutes from the beach.
We were in Barcelona and Madrid last year and found Spain to be quite expensive, so don't know if it is possible. I have never been to the South of Spain but it looks lovely and Majorca in places looks very special, but I believe it is very expensive to live there. Anyway, any comments or ideas would be welcome. We intend going on a fact finding trip later this year.
Thanks.
Hopefully someone will be along to make some suggestions; I apologise if my original post appeared a bit confrontational, it wasn't meant to be, but we get quite a lot of people asking for similar advice some of whom seem to have no clear idea of what they actually want. You clearly have some idea! Good luck.
Old Feb 27th 2012, 7:28 am
Forum Regular

dairymaid is just really nicedairymaid is just really nicedairymaid is just really nicedairymaid is just really nicedairymaid is just really nicedairymaid is just really nicedairymaid is just really nicedairymaid is just really nicedairymaid is just really nice

Which 6 months of the year are you thinking of?
Old Feb 27th 2012, 7:53 am
BE Forum Addict

montgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your reply.
Thanks.
Have a look at Denia - that's the mainland port opposite Ibiza, although you would need to avoid July and August.
Old Feb 27th 2012, 8:43 am
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

Costa Tropical, Almuñecar or Salobreña, not full us expats but enough should you wish to find them, La Herradura is very pretty as well. But you would find plenty of Spanish around here to chat with.

Edited to add, we are on the south coast between Málaga and Almería, about half way.
Old Feb 27th 2012, 9:09 am
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

If you are able to get Channel 4 on demand on your computer in OZ, look for A Place in the Sun or A Place in the Winter Sun. This may give you some ideas as to location.
Old Feb 27th 2012, 2:13 pm
Account Closed

Thanks for your comments/ideas. A good place to start with research. Dairymaid, I want to be in Spain during the summer months.
Old Feb 27th 2012, 3:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

Summer months will naturally be the most expensive - plus most landlords will only be looking for short summer lets which make more money than a 6 month let. Most lets are furnished and most beach areas are touristy.
But given 'el crisis' you should find something especially if you can speak Spanish. Good luck.
ps Not much Fosters about, go for Mahou.
Old Feb 27th 2012, 4:05 pm
Account Closed

Talking Re: Spain for 6 months per year.

Originally Posted by spainrico
Summer months will naturally be the most expensive - plus most landlords will only be looking for short summer lets which make more money than a 6 month let. Most lets are furnished and most beach areas are touristy.
But given 'el crisis' you should find something especially if you can speak Spanish. Good luck.
ps Not much Fosters about, go for Mahou.
Thanks
I'll remember the Mahou!
I wondered whether it would be hard to find a good priced rental in the summer months. Holiday lets are usually much more expensive and six months is not long for a rental property. But maybe "el crisis" will work in my favour.