Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Some tax questions

Some tax questions

Old Jun 13th 2009, 10:20 pm
Forum Regular

pampasgrass is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Some tax questions

I have completed the 2008 RENTA programme and there is no tax to pay. What do I do with the printed out document?

I need something to send to the UK to show that tax is being paid in Spain. If I take the form to the local tax office will they give me the relevant document?

I have read that the system has changed and the old form supplied by the UK tax office is no longer used. Is this true?
Old Jun 13th 2009, 10:23 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Some tax questions

Originally Posted by pampasgrass
I have completed the 2008 RENTA programme and there is no tax to pay. What do I do with the printed out document?

I need something to send to the UK to show that tax is being paid in Spain. If I take the form to the local tax office will they give me the relevant document?

I have read that the system has changed and the old form supplied by the UK tax office is no longer used. Is this true?
I'd heard that as well, although my gestor says he is still getting them authorised here. He said alternatively just go to the local office and ask for a certificate of tax residency
Old Jun 14th 2009, 5:32 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Your bank would normally process the forms for you. It might be worth asking them to send them off for you even though they are nil returns.

The old form for the UK is form FD9 and it is still possible to download it. There have been conflicting reports as to whether the Spanish tax office will still stamp it for you. I have heard a very recent report where they were happy to do so.

The alternative is to get a Certificate of Tax Residency from the tax office. Using the FD9 procedure is the best option as you get off the UK tax books about a year earlier if you do it that way.
Old Jun 14th 2009, 10:17 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
Your bank would normally process the forms for you. It might be worth asking them to send them off for you even though they are nil returns.

The old form for the UK is form FD9 and it is still possible to download it. There have been conflicting reports as to whether the Spanish tax office will still stamp it for you. I have heard a very recent report where they were happy to do so.

The alternative is to get a Certificate of Tax Residency from the tax office. Using the FD9 procedure is the best option as you get off the UK tax books about a year earlier if you do it that way.
Echo echo echo echo .............................
Old Jun 14th 2009, 7:20 pm
Forum Regular

pampasgrass is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for that information.

I might try the bank first.