Solidarity

Old Jun 8th 2013, 8:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Carol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond repute
Default Solidarity

Word for the day: Solidarity/Solidaridad.

Here's a word that I think will bring back memories of the early 1980's.

I also think it is a word that is heard more often in today's economic/political climate.

What is the meaning of "solidarity"? Discuss it privately or amongst yourselves .

I'd like to draw your attention to two news articles which caught my eye. One is in Spanish, the other is in English. (Please make use of your computer translation if required).

http://huelvabuenasnoticias.com/2013...es-solidarias/

http://www.infoayamonte.com/index.ph...a-nice-gesture

The flamenco event, organized by "El Economato Social de San Vicente de Paúl" and performed by a local dance academy, took place last night in Ayamonte. As the poster says, entry was free with a donation of 1 kilo of non-perishable foodstuff.

Hopefully, many have been able to attend this event and to enjoy the evening's performance. I reckon more activities will be publicized.

In the second link, "Operación Kilo" is a similar idea. As of yesterday, and for today (8th June), donations of non-perishable foodstuff can be made at Mercadona at La Plaza shopping centre. The Banco de Alimentos de Huelva will distribute the produce to individuals and families in need of this assistance.

Tying in with the theme of donations (clothing, etc.) made in another thread on this forum (http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=798112), another organization helping in the area is the Red Cross (Cruz Roja).

Finally, let us not forget the animals.
http://huelvabuenasnoticias.com/2013...a-en-ayamonte/

The list is never ending.
Old Jun 11th 2013, 10:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Carol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Solidarity

Is my name Greta Garbo, or Billy Nomates? Perhaps I should change the title of the thread?
Update:
370 kilos of food:
http://huelvabuenasnoticias.com/2013...-de-alimentos/

I notice the poster for secondhand books. Drop off between 8pm-9pm, Tuesdays - Fridays during June at Las Angustias Church (salón parroquial). (I'm not sure if this room is next to the church, nor whether books in other languages will be accepted (Why not, as it will appeal to a wider audience?)
In July, there will be a secondhand book fair.
Old Jun 11th 2013, 12:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to all

I will be there in July so will try to visit the book fair although I won't be there in June th o donate any.
At our local supermarket they often have people collecting food for others who need it. On the way in we are given a leaflet which suggests items to buy (eg coffee, tea bags, sugar etc) and you only need to buy one item. You leave it with them at the door. If we all contributed one item when we went shopping it would all help.
Kath
Old Jun 12th 2013, 7:48 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Carol&John
Is my name Greta Garbo, or Billy Nomates? Perhaps I should change the title of the thread?
Update:
370 kilos of food:

I notice the poster for secondhand books. Drop off between 8pm-9pm, Tuesdays - Fridays during June at Las Angustias Church (salón parroquial). (I'm not sure if this room is next to the church, nor whether books in other languages will be accepted (Why not, as it will appeal to a wider audience?)
Hi Carol, have found out that English book are acceptable Bryony
Old Jun 12th 2013, 3:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

olivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really nice

Originally Posted by Carol&John
Update:
370 kilos of food:

I can report that people were being very generous on Saturday when we went shopping
Old Jun 12th 2013, 6:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thank you Kath, Bryony, and Olivia for your input.
I'm hoping there'll be a good selection of children's storybooks in July. Best to get the elbow pads ready.lol
Old Jul 7th 2013, 9:58 am
BE Forum Addict

First (Secondhand)Book Fair 15th and 16th July at Plaza de la laguna.
Attached Thumbnails Solidarity-sanvicentepaul_mercadillolibros_ayamonte_26062013.jpg  
Old Jul 7th 2013, 1:58 pm
Account Closed

LordMayor is an unknown quantity at this point

You can also give your books (including in English) to the muncipal library. Ask for Maria-Antonia, either there or in the TownHall.
Old Jul 7th 2013, 3:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Solidarity

Originally Posted by LordMayor
You can also give your books (including in English) to the muncipal library. Ask for Maria-Antonia, either there or in the TownHall.
The library for those who do not know is in the Casa Grande (next to the Piano Bar) on the first floor.
Old Jul 7th 2013, 3:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Solidarity

The book exchange in the Golf Club on Wednesdays at 16.00 ALS take books for re lending.