Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Solar water heaters

Solar water heaters

Old Nov 22nd 2011, 10:14 am
BE Enthusiast

dorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond repute
Default Solar water heaters

Hi again Amigos

I'm here in Spain on my house sit, the owner has gone away and when she was showing me round the house she told me about this contraption on the solarium which is an Allott ecosense system, she said she had just covered it up with black bin bags but I was so entranced by the scenery I wasn't listening. Since she has gone there has been no hot water and no sign of an immersion heater Well it's now five days of cold showers and I'm getting fed up with it.
Should I take the black covering off this thing on the roof as I am sure that's a solar powered water heater.
what do you think???
Old Nov 22nd 2011, 2:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Solar water heaters

Originally Posted by dorishaslop
Hi again Amigos

I'm here in Spain on my house sit, the owner has gone away and when she was showing me round the house she told me about this contraption on the solarium which is an Allott ecosense system, she said she had just covered it up with black bin bags but I was so entranced by the scenery I wasn't listening. Since she has gone there has been no hot water and no sign of an immersion heater Well it's now five days of cold showers and I'm getting fed up with it.
Should I take the black covering off this thing on the roof as I am sure that's a solar powered water heater.
what do you think???
I think first point, make it a learning curve to get written info from any future owners about this kind of detail !! Horrible thought five days without hot water
Haven't you got a contact number for her/them?
Would any neighbours know the system? I'd have thought even if they DO have solar heating there would be a back-up electric or gas system..... if it was me I'd maybe even follow pipework or something equally bizarre. Not sure about uncovering the black stuff, if it was heating why would they have it covered?? good luck. There are folk on here who have and know about solar systems so let's hope they join in for your sake
Old Nov 22nd 2011, 4:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

dorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fionamw
I think first point, make it a learning curve to get written info from any future owners about this kind of detail !! Horrible thought five days without hot water
Haven't you got a contact number for her/them?
Would any neighbours know the system? I'd have thought even if they DO have solar heating there would be a back-up electric or gas system..... if it was me I'd maybe even follow pipework or something equally bizarre. Not sure about uncovering the black stuff, if it was heating why would they have it covered?? good luck. There are folk on here who have and know about solar systems so let's hope they join in for your sake
Thanks Fiona,

Turns out that the thing on the roof is a solar water heater but it overheats apparently. The lady took my mobile number down wrong so that explained why she hadn't been in touch, I thought I'd been abandoned
We had a thunderstorm the other night and that was the problem, the pilot light on the gas boiler up on the solarium had been blown out by the wind. fortunately the lady had sent one of her friends to check on me to see if I was ok so everything is sorted now. Now pilot light is on and I have had a lovely hot bath... BLiss
Old Nov 22nd 2011, 4:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dorishaslop
Thanks Fiona,

Turns out that the thing on the roof is a solar water heater but it overheats apparently. The lady took my mobile number down wrong so that explained why she hadn't been in touch, I thought I'd been abandoned
We had a thunderstorm the other night and that was the problem, the pilot light on the gas boiler up on the solarium had been blown out by the wind. fortunately the lady had sent one of her friends to check on me to see if I was ok so everything is sorted now. Now pilot light is on and I have had a lovely hot bath... BLiss
Pleased for you!