Reload this Page >

Buying a used car from person not in country

Buying a used car from person not in country

Old Nov 22nd 2011, 9:25 am
Run Forrest, Run.....

Rocky Balboa is on a distinguished road
Default Buying a used car from person not in country

Hello,

In need of some advice please if anyone can be so kind.

I have agreed to purchase a used car from someone who used to reside here but the problem is the person whose car it is has left the country and won't be returning. Can anyone tell me the correct steps that need taking. Is it just a case of that person giving the power of attorney to her lawyer or friend and letting them act on their behalf? All the documents are in the persons name.

Having always bought my cars from a dealer I'm not exactly sure how it all works apart from it being terribly complicated. The person is pretty desperate for the money but obviously I won't be paying until I know I will definitely be able to get the car transferred to my name without major problems.

Regards
Old Nov 22nd 2011, 10:21 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying a used car from person not in country

Originally Posted by Rocky Balboa
Hello,

I have agreed to purchase a used car from someone who used to reside here but the problem is the person whose car it is has left the country and won't be returning. Can anyone tell me the correct steps that need taking. Is it just a case of that person giving the power of attorney to her lawyer or friend and letting them act on their behalf? All the documents are in the persons name.

Having always bought my cars from a dealer I'm not exactly sure how it all works apart from it being terribly complicated. The person is pretty desperate for the money but obviously I won't be paying until I know I will definitely be able to get the car transferred to my name without major problems.

Regards
You won't believe this but ....

Spoiler:
Friends of ours were advised by their lawyer to sign all documents themselves (as though they were the other party). So that's what I would do!

Just get a photocopy (via email?) of their passport and NIE.
Old Nov 22nd 2011, 10:49 am
Forum Regular

411 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,

Regards
Its likely to be a scam, pls dont fall for it.
Old Nov 22nd 2011, 11:32 am
Run Forrest, Run.....

Originally Posted by 411
Its likely to be a scam, pls dont fall for it.
It's not a scam, that I am certain. I may be a lot of things but i aint stupid
Old Nov 22nd 2011, 11:38 am
Run Forrest, Run.....

Originally Posted by snikpoh
You won't believe this but ....

Friends of ours were advised by their lawyer to sign all documents themselves (as though they were the other party). So that's what I would do!

Just get a photocopy (via email?) of their passport and NIE.
I have copies of passport, NIE and resident card etc along with all the cars documents and car with keys but as the person can't (due to medical reasons) come back here I just want to make sure I do all this correctly.
Old Nov 22nd 2011, 11:56 am
Forum Regular

411 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have copies of passport, NIE and resident card etc along with all the cars documents and car with keys but as the person can't (due to medical reasons) come back here I just want to make sure I do all this correctly.
ok
Old Nov 22nd 2011, 2:02 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

... as I say, you will need signatures on the transfer documents.

You have to decide how you go about this with them being in a different country
Old Nov 22nd 2011, 8:52 pm
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

I'm back in the UK and have just sold my car in Spain via e-mail. All I had to do was scan and send a copy of my NIE/residencia and my passport - I have the money from the sale and the deal is done - easy! I believe the person at the other end had a gestoria to supervise

Jo xxx