Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Social security payments for the self-employed Please help!

Social security payments for the self-employed Please help!

Old Jun 9th 2009, 12:57 pm
Just Joined

Kate1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Social security payments for the self-employed Please help!

Hi all

I am hoping you can help, I have just recently moved permanently to Spain with my parents. I intend to be self-employed and I was researching the social security monthly payments for the self-employed and they seem very expensive. At the moment I have no health care provision except for the
E111, so I am wondering whether to just take out private health care insurance until I get my business up and running. Did any of you on this forum have this same dilemma and what did you do?
Old Jun 9th 2009, 1:03 pm
Banned

livit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nice
Default Re: Social security payments for the self-employed Please help!

I believe if your registered as Autonomo then you have to pay Seguridad Social payments, in the same way in the UK you have to pay NI contributions.

It allows you health care but also pays other services.

As this states

Nacimiento y Fin de la obligación de cotizar

El trabajador autónomo está obligado a cotizar desde el primer día del mes en que inicia su actividad.

La obligación subsiste mientras el trabajador desarrolla su actividad, incluso durante las situaciones de incapacidad temporal, riesgo durante el embarazo, riesgo durante la lactancia natural, periodos de descaso por maternidad ó paternidad. La obligación termina el último día del mes en que el trabajador finaliza su actividad por cuenta propia, siempre y cuando comunique su baja dentro de plazo. En caso contrario, sigue obligado a cotizar hasta el último día del mes de comunicación de la baja, salvo que se justifique el cese en la actividad.

You can read from the site here

http://www.seg-social.es/Internet_1/...nCot/index.htm

Last edited by livit; Jun 9th 2009 at 1:08 pm.
Old Jun 9th 2009, 1:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Veleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Kate1
Hi all

I am hoping you can help, I have just recently moved permanently to Spain with my parents. I intend to be self-employed and I was researching the social security monthly payments for the self-employed and they seem very expensive. At the moment I have no health care provision except for the
E111, so I am wondering whether to just take out private health care insurance until I get my business up and running. Did any of you on this forum have this same dilemma and what did you do?
Yes, the SS payments are quite expensive here. The amount depends on your age, but however old you are you are looking at 200+ per month.

I took out private health care, but decided to continue with it even though my business is now up and running because unlike SS payments, private health care here is pretty cheap.
Old Jun 9th 2009, 1:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kate1
Hi all

suppose it depends how soon you will become self employed, as you can get any emergency treatment with the EHIC card ......remember dental and opticians costs are not covered by social security payments in Spain
Old Jun 10th 2009, 5:10 pm
Forum Regular

savateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nice

Originally Posted by spain
suppose it depends how soon you will become self employed, as you can get any emergency treatment with the EHIC card ......remember dental and opticians costs are not covered by social security payments in Spain
What sort of figures are generally involved with dental care in Spain ? Is there an equivalent to the NHS fee's in the UK, or is it all private ?
Old Jun 10th 2009, 5:37 pm
Banned

livit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nice

Originally Posted by savateur
What sort of figures are generally involved with dental care in Spain ? Is there an equivalent to the NHS fee's in the UK, or is it all private ?
No Spanish equivalent to NHS dental care, its all private.

Costs are similar to the UK, some friends last year paid around 600 Euros for their 8 yr old to be fitted with braces and a tooth removed.

There due to pay somemore soon to have brace removed and some more work carried out.

I think a check up is around 40 Euro`s, my wife went 2 yrs ago, paid that and was told she needed around a grands worth of work to get her teeth healthy.

She never went back, UK dentist told her in December nothing wrong apart from some cavity work and a polish.
Old Jun 10th 2009, 7:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute

my son had 2 braces in Spain... the 1st was 600€ and the 2nd was 2000€ although that did incl monthly "adjustments"
Old Jun 11th 2009, 11:22 am
Forum Regular

savateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nice

Any idea's on the cost of private Dental Insurance for husband and wife ?

Is it the cashback type, where you pay upfront, and then claim it back, or a straight forward insurance type, where the practitioner claims from the insurance company ?
Old Jun 11th 2009, 12:05 pm
Banned

All different types.Your looking for Salud Dental.

Try these

http://www.mapfre.com/seguros/es/par...es/salud.shtml

http://www.seguropia.es/seguro-dental.html
Old Jun 11th 2009, 12:48 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by livit
BY HECK ! It's all in foreign !

Joking aside, thank's for that think I got it right with the calculator, came put at €76.80, for the both of us, seem's pretty reasonable, used the top link.

Does that figure sound about right ?, or did I get my Spanish all wrong
Old Jun 11th 2009, 1:19 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by savateur
BY HECK ! It's all in foreign !

Joking aside, thank's for that think I got it right with the calculator, came put at €76.80, for the both of us, seem's pretty reasonable, used the top link.

Does that figure sound about right ?, or did I get my Spanish all wrong
You may find out that is just the cost of reading the mags in the waiting room. ;-))
Old Jun 11th 2009, 4:10 pm
Banned

Mapfre is an international company, you should find an area for extranjeros (foreigner) section.

If not just ring a number local to your area, they`ll manage something.