Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Bringing a boat to Spain

Bringing a boat to Spain

Old Jun 10th 2009, 3:44 pm
Terminally confused

carolann has a brilliant futurecarolann has a brilliant futurecarolann has a brilliant futurecarolann has a brilliant futurecarolann has a brilliant futurecarolann has a brilliant future
Default Bringing a boat to Spain

Can anyone advise me (preferably throiugh experience rather than "well, my mate said....")

I have a friend with a holiday home near me who wants to bring his small boat out here to use while he's here on holiday (about 6 times a year).

It is registered on the SSR in his name in the U.K., so can it stay on English flag?

Also, can I be stopped from using it when he's not here, because I'm a Spanish resident? (I have the neccessay qualifications).

If you don't know, do you know of a lawyer who deals in marine matters who may be able to advise me.

Ta ever so
Old Jun 10th 2009, 3:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

valenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bringing a boat to Spain

Originally Posted by carolann
Can anyone advise me (preferably throiugh experience rather than "well, my mate said....")

I have a friend with a holiday home near me who wants to bring his small boat out here to use while he's here on holiday (about 6 times a year).

It is registered on the SSR in his name in the U.K., so can it stay on English flag?

Also, can I be stopped from using it when he's not here, because I'm a Spanish resident? (I have the neccessay qualifications).

If you don't know, do you know of a lawyer who deals in marine matters who may be able to advise me.

Ta ever so
As long as He is not a resident, the boat can stay on a UK flag.
As you are a Spanish resident, I presume you have the relevant Spanish qualifications?
Old Jun 10th 2009, 3:52 pm
Terminally confused

carolann has a brilliant futurecarolann has a brilliant futurecarolann has a brilliant futurecarolann has a brilliant futurecarolann has a brilliant futurecarolann has a brilliant future

Blimey Valenciatim, thanks a lot, that was quick.

I have an International Pleasure Craft Operators Certificate, entitling me to operate power craft up to 24m in coastal waters.
Old Jun 10th 2009, 3:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

valenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond repute

Blimey Valenciatim, thanks a lot, that was quick.

I have an International Pleasure Craft Operators Certificate, entitling me to operate power craft up to 24m in coastal waters.
But if it was issued by the RYA, it is only recognized in Spain if you are a holidaymaker, not a resident. I have the same!
Old Jun 10th 2009, 3:59 pm
Terminally confused

Ah, I thought it couldn't be simple!

I presume you operate a boat in Spanish waters - are you a resident?

if so, how do you get away with it, or don't you?
Old Jun 10th 2009, 4:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ah, I thought it couldn't be simple!

I presume you operate a boat in Spanish waters - are you a resident?

if so, how do you get away with it, or don't you?
I am a resident, as I have been here for 6 years, but I don't operate a boat here!
Had every intention of doing so but ended up living too far from the coast, and when I looked at
all the red tape involved I gave up on the idea!
Old Jun 10th 2009, 4:19 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

There is some useful info at http://costablanca.angloinfo.com/inf...15/sailing.asp
Old Jun 10th 2009, 5:08 pm
Terminally confused

Thanks guys for your help....that site was very useful Fred
Old Jun 11th 2009, 9:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Whilst we are talking boats here`s a question ,can a Gibraltar commercial motor boat operator offer tours in Spain/spanish waters ?
I`m guessing this could only happen if guests were picked up/dropped off in Gib.

Rgds

Rotor
Old Jun 11th 2009, 12:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

poolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to behold

boating legally is a nightmare here for us expats as the ICC is only valid for holidaymakers. I have never been asked to show my licence but if I caused an accident I would not be covered by insurance. In the past SSR & ICC was fine but now I am not so sure.

That said, yesterday I was stopped on my scoot by the Local Police & he scrutinised every document so be warned they are short of tax money!!!

Just hide yr residencia & as long as all papers tie up with yr passport you are ok.

Just a thought when police stop you & salute on approach, I was v tempted to salute back but thought better of it!!!
Old Jun 11th 2009, 1:16 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by poolboy
boating legally is a nightmare here for us expats as the ICC is only valid for holidaymakers. I have never been asked to show my licence but if I caused an accident I would not be covered by insurance. In the past SSR & ICC was fine but now I am not so sure.

That said, yesterday I was stopped on my scoot by the Local Police & he scrutinised every document so be warned they are short of tax money!!!

Just hide yr residencia & as long as all papers tie up with yr passport you are ok.

Just a thought when police stop you & salute on approach, I was v tempted to salute back but thought better of it!!!
They can check your insurance on their PC in the car now and if it is older than 3 months, it maybe not a good idea to pretend to be on holiday.
Old Jun 11th 2009, 2:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

poolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to behold

sorry I don't understand, insurance is valid for the full policy period. 3 months is the time to rematriculate a UK plated car to Spanish I think.
Old Jun 11th 2009, 3:22 pm
Terminally confused

Wo's this got to do with bringing a boat over?
Old Jun 11th 2009, 5:08 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by poolboy
sorry I don't understand, insurance is valid for the full policy period. 3 months is the time to rematriculate a UK plated car to Spanish I think.
You said scoot, and if you have been in Spain for 3 months you have to register at the police station and they give you a residencia certificate, so they know you are not on holiday.
Old Jun 11th 2009, 5:10 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Wo's this got to do with bringing a boat over?
The difference of being on holiday or being a resident after 3 months when everything changes law wise.